Let's discuss strategy

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Sentinel3d
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Let's discuss strategy

Post by Sentinel3d »

i always build myself in a well defending place...
so like you got a narrow passage i build a wall with an truck behind it... so it will always repair a damaged item next to him.
and then research most stuff... build some tripple howitzers...
build like 30 tanks (with the red body) and then drive to all the enemies

pretty easy... and get's boring after a while...
with the new AI it is all action around me... pretty difficult!
the first rounds they just destroyed me in 15 minutes :S
so i need a new strategy! xD back to the drawing boards :P
52 18’N - 6 29’E
fulano
Greenhorn

Post by fulano »

Okay, so it seems blocking yourself in is a good strategy to keep people out. I usually wait for the super heavy body tanks too, but lately I've been thinking it takes waaay to long. I need to go find out what the new things the lancer AT depends on and maybe start attacking earlier to shorten the skirmish and keep it more interesting. I just have troubles when I start building tanks before the end of the tech tree because they frequently get smashed and I end up wasting my money.

I do almost always keep my first two research facilities working on power upgrades and the other on research upgrades. Then the rest work on base materials and weapons (artillery mostly though). I even tried a few times to build tank artillery for my defenses instead of fixed artillery but it seemed I couldn't keep up as well.

Aivolution rocked me my first try with it too. It did make it more interesting when I use it, except it seems it doesn't use VTOLS or the Satellite battery, which makes things a little too predictable.
devastator
Trained
Trained

Post by devastator »

It's not possible to judge balance with computer.He is silly,but he gains more money even without oils.So...he is not balanced,he is for basic training.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

fulano wrote:Okay, so it seems blocking yourself in is a good strategy to keep people out. I usually wait for the super heavy body tanks too, but lately I've been thinking it takes waaay to long. I need to go find out what the new things the lancer AT depends on and maybe start attacking earlier to shorten the skirmish and keep it more interesting. I just have troubles when I start building tanks before the end of the tech tree because they frequently get smashed and I end up wasting my money.
http://wzguide.co.cc/r/lanceratrocket

Lancer, TK, and Scourge are useless in 2.2 anyway; don't use them.

Edit: I meant 2.1.
fulano wrote:Aivolution rocked me my first try with it too. It did make it more interesting when I use it, except it seems it doesn't use VTOLS or the Satellite battery, which makes things a little too predictable.
A good rule of thumb is: If you haven't killed the AI by the time it get to LasSat, you're turtling way too much.
fulano
Greenhorn

Post by fulano »

Zarel wrote: A good rule of thumb is: If you haven't killed the AI by the time it get to LasSat, you're turtling way too much.
Ya, that's probably very true of me. :)

So what weapons do you use to kill the AI so early? I usually wait until I get pulse lasers since the lancer has been changed so much.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Zarel wrote: Lancer, TK, and Scourge are useless in 2.2 anyway; don't use them.
You mean 2.1?
wuddafxup
Greenhorn

Post by wuddafxup »

Zarel wrote:Zarel's Strategy Tips For 2.1.1:

1. Truck rush. If you're on a small map and you're playing T1 No Bases, immediately build a research facility, then send a truck out while you research Machinegun, then Machinegun Guard Tower. By the time your truck gets to the enemy base, around the time Machinegun Guard Tower has finished researching, start building towers. Your opponent will go down pretty quickly if caught unprepared. This strategy works very well against the AI.

2. Truck rush. If you're playing T2/T3 No Bases, well, first of all, you're insane, and second of all, you're going to lose unless you truck rush.

3. Research rush. Warzone is a game in which research means everything. 2 fully upgraded Light Cannon tanks, for instance, are more powerful than 28 un-upgraded Light Cannon tanks. Upgrade everything you use. Nearly every upgrade is worth getting, especially research upgrades (Synaptic Link Data Analysis) and power upgrades (Gas Turbine Generator).

4. Resource rush. Like every other RTS, resources are important. If someone has significantly more oil than you, that person has a huge advantage over you. Send your trucks out as early as possible, build oil derricks as early as possible. If it's the really-early game, don't even worry about defense - you can build defenses further ahead, and MG Guard Tower isn't going to stop your enemy at all by midgame, anyway.

5. Flamer rush. Flamer cyborgs are overpowered. Exploit this. (Bonus points if you airdrop your flamers using a Cyborg Transport.) Be aware of flamers' weaknesses, though - they do barely any damage to walls and CCs.

6. Mortar push. Mortar pits and Bombard pits are overpowered. Exploit this. (But don't get Pepperpot; it's useless)

7. Cannon push. Heavy Cannon Python Tracks are very powerful, especially massed.

8. VTOLs. Most people neglect AA since most people neglect VTOLs. Use this to your advantage by massing a large army of HPV or Pulse Laser VTOLs and sending them at your enemy. Although if your game lasts long enough for someone to get Pulse Laser, something wrong is happening.

Any good Warzone player uses these tactics - ask around.

i begg to differ against the super ai mod (i lost in the end but it was one of the most insane battle that i have ever done) i started T3 no bases. tbh using any of your strategies would have probably gotten me killed faster. what i did was build HC HP in front of bombards (that were my walls) and it fended them off for a very long time
tbh in games like that truck and research rush arnt exactly the best ways to do it not that im trying to dissuade your strategy but a more effective approach at the beginning would be to make absolute defense so they can wail away all they want and come home crying
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

fulano wrote:So what weapons do you use to kill the AI so early? I usually wait until I get pulse lasers since the lancer has been changed so much.
In 2.1? Cannons or mortars are very good for this purpose. If you're going up against Aivolution, flamer cyborgs aren't bad, either.
Per wrote:You mean 2.1?
Whoops; yeah.
wuddafxup wrote:i begg to differ against the super ai mod (i lost in the end but it was one of the most insane battle that i have ever done) i started T3 no bases. tbh using any of your strategies would have probably gotten me killed faster. what i did was build HC HP in front of bombards (that were my walls) and it fended them off for a very long time
Well, my advice is meant for T1 No Bases. Although playing T3 No Bases is even worse. Although truck rush should still work; in fact, it'll be even easier since you don't have to research - very few AIs can defend against a truck rush in T3 No Bases.

Send me this "Super AI mod" of yours; let me see if my strategies work on it.
wuddafxup wrote:tbh in games like that truck and research rush arnt exactly the best ways to do it not that im trying to dissuade your strategy but a more effective approach at the beginning would be to make absolute defense so they can wail away all they want and come home crying
Psh. Strategies that shouldn't work at all work in games against the AI, because the AI isn't smart enough to see what you're trying to pull. In multiplayer, if you just walled yourself in a base, I'd just grab all the oil resources on the map and then VTOL you to death.
wuddafxup
Greenhorn

Post by wuddafxup »

the super ai mod ?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

wuddafxup wrote:the super ai mod ?
Oh, lol, you mean Aivolution. Why do you call it the super AI mod? o_O
enterthefire
Greenhorn

Post by enterthefire »

sure the normal a.i completely relies on VTOL's (whch i rarely use) and cyborgs (which again i never use)... but then again, the aivolution mod is far more superior then the original mod :S

anyways my strategy is this:

research rush forhowitzers/bombards/GS's and build a 'matrix' of bunkers of them all inter-locked and supported by each other. usually howitzers/GS's at the back and bombards at the front, with sensors close to chokepoints/open areas. if im in a bad mood, i use the debug option to get the NEXUS plasma mortars in there as well. :ninja:

i wait until my opponents start their tank/vtol rush, rebuke them and set up my designs (Dragon HC tracked 'Flaming Fury', or Wyvern Hover pulselaser 'sonido' units) and tank rush each base one at a time, with a few LasSat strikes for good measure

post-rush, i repair and set up a FCB where their base is... and repeat until all vermin have been exterminated.

EDIT: FCB = forward command base, GS = ground shakers (i like to abbreviate :O)
wuddafxup
Greenhorn

Post by wuddafxup »

enterthefire wrote:
post-rush, i repair and set up a FCB where their base is... and repeat until all vermin have been exterminated.

EDIT: FCB = forward command base, GS = ground shakers (i like to abbreviate :O)

confused? what do you mean by forward command base ? like can you go into further explanation
enterthefire
Greenhorn

Post by enterthefire »

wuddafxup wrote: confused? what do you mean by forward command base ? like can you go into further explanation
Yeah, sorry bout that, i'l elaborate more. in the alpha base mission after you wipe out the NP + scav bases on your map, it then tells you to set up a forward base? its a bit like that. i usually build a repair facility + appropiate factories there.

on skirmishes i tend to build my own defences at the enemy base post-rush and build over their oil derricks. i then establish a factory and start churning out units. afterwards i move out to the next enemy and repeat the process...
yanom
Rookie
Rookie

Post by yanom »

But don't get Pepperpot; it's useless
liar.

*Pulls up a bunch of Pepperpot tanks and aims them at Zarel's base*
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

yanom wrote:liar.

*Pulls up a bunch of Pepperpot tanks and aims them at Zarel's base*
Try me. :P I'd come back at you with cannon tanks.