New Terrain

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Thraka
Greenhorn

Re: New Terrain

Post by Thraka »

Everytime you post a picture I die a little inside because I cannot play that right now :) It looks so amazing! O_O O_O O_O O_O O_O
gerard_
Trained
Trained

Post by gerard_ »

Sorry Thraka, here is one more, this is the rockies.
rockies.jpg
Do you think the cliffs are okay right now? I can change them but if it is not absolutely necessary I'd rather implement the water.
Jimmbob
Trained
Trained

Post by Jimmbob »

I would say everything looks perfect! :)
Great work with the new textures, its looks great!
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

you're cliffs are excellent, imho. :cool:

"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
gerard_
Trained
Trained

Post by gerard_ »

Oh, I also implemented continental drift. This will make Warzone the first game to feature it! Unfortunately it is real time so you will have to wait quite a bit for something to happen. There might be some bugs in there, so when you don't see anything happen in a few hundred years please report those to the bug tracker.
Last edited by gerard_ on 24 Nov 2008, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: While the I seems such a small letter, sometimes it can't be missed.
Jimmbob
Trained
Trained

Post by Jimmbob »

i will be sure to look out for the 1st cracks to appear!
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

gerard_ wrote:Sorry Thraka, here is one more, this is the rockies.
rockies.jpg
Do you think the cliffs are okay right now? I can change them but if it is not absolutely necessary I'd rather implement the water.
Yeah, those cliffs look great! I tried to post earlier about that the hill/cliff/mountain textures didn't look steep enough, but it seemed my isp didn't want me to at the time (edit: ouch, now I saw my earlier post was actually posted). The earlier textures you showed did look too climbable, but these look perfect.

Another edit: Continental drift? Wow, if you've managed to implement that, is deformable terrain also planned to be implemented? It would be lovely to see the mortars and artillery dig craters all over the battlefield.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
Thraka
Greenhorn

Post by Thraka »

Yeah that looks awesome. The texture blending is so great. I played around with UnrealEd a long time ago and absolutely loved that feature. The only thing that looks bad is the tops of the steep mountains. I think you'll only to bring it "just so far" before being limited by the geometry limitations of the engine at this point.

Still... Awesome, gimme another picture!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

gerard_ wrote:Sorry Thraka, here is one more, this is the rockies.

[rockies.jpg]

The cliffs are beautiful. I seem to remember more snow in the Rockies, though.
gerard_ wrote:Oh, I also implemented continental drift. This will make Warzone the first game to feature it! Unfortunately it is real time so you will have to wait quite a bit for something to happen. There might be some bugs in there, so when you don't see anything happen in a few hundred years please report those to the bug tracker.
I've waited a million years and nothing has happened! I demand a refund!
gerard_
Trained
Trained

Post by gerard_ »

There is exactly the same amount of snow ;) Here is another picture for those who can't compile from source:
rockies.jpg
The textures are now free and in svn. Have fun playing!
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Post by Deus Siddis »

gerard_ wrote:The textures are now free and in svn. Have fun playing!
Awesome work, it is greatly appreciated. :D
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

it looks wonderful, especially ingame..
Tymon
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tymon »

WoW! this is awsome!

the game deserves an update just for this! and how about mappers have the ability to put in their own textures?

p.s the whole nuclear war thing is making the maps quite plain...is it possible to have a story line before the missiles were launched?
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

Tymon wrote:WoW! this is awsome!
the game deserves an update just for this! and how about mappers have the ability to put in their own textures?
p.s the whole nuclear war thing is making the maps quite plain...is it possible to have a story line before the missiles were launched?
possible yes, but not practical, too little time

check out http://warzone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Main_Page
there are very good ideas out there

regards elio
gerard_
Trained
Trained

Post by gerard_ »

We have water now! Start building ships!
water.jpg