WZ2100-esque

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Serman
Trained
Trained

WZ2100-esque

Post by Serman »

Discuss
vo-Devil
New user

Re: WZ2100-esque

Post by vo-Devil »

Barbarian base is very cool. so realy))
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

'WZ2100-esque'..... a perfect neologism for splitting apart the mind-set as carapace.

lovely pics. 'course, never gonna happen working with the wz source-engine. but there are other ways of
getting there that are actually quite feasible - very doable if you have the passion to roll-up your sleeves
& work it with a steady conviction over the long haul. definitely parallels what i envision as an exciting and
enduring evolution :ninja:

"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

source engine right?

but warzone 2100 would be amazing if we could get the graphics like that
the largest wz steam community http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wz2100 (all welcome to join help find matches find new relese and recruit new players)
bengaltiger
Greenhorn

Post by bengaltiger »

coolkid wrote:warzone 2100 would be amazing if we could get the graphics like that
What's the poly limit for hull/suspension/turrets and max texture resolution for this game?
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

I thought these were Fallout 3 screenshots.
Do you mean that Serman made these himself?
If that is so it's awesome. Since the whole Warzone 2100 game is GPL'd (isn't it?) it would be interesting if there would appear more open source games in the Warzone universe, like Battlefield type team FPS games, tactical strategy games in the vein of X-com and post-nuclear RPG:s. :)
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

images are from this web site: http://www.garrysmod.org/

specs for wz models are targeted roughly at:

Polygon limits:

* Bodies: under 100
* Propulsion: under 256
* Weapons: under 100

Texture resolution
One 256x256 texture map for each model.

Terrain Tertiles: 128 x 128

like i said wz source-engine will never support a game world you see in the above pics. even trying for it would be a mistake & huge waste of time because there are far more feasible ways of going about it that make more sense coding-wise.... plus, there's a whole bunch of specific reasons i don't want to spend the time detailing since nobody is gonna try it anyway.

also - the system specs for the rig you would need to run such a gfx rts game world is beyond what most devotees of foss games have. we're talking a minimum 512 card.... pref a dual 512 SLI Config. then there is creating such art...while there are good artists in the community none active can do this level of in-game art from what i've seen..... wallpapers don't count as a mountain of functioning in-game art assets, btw.

imho, wz's future is in mods, mod-friendliness and robust mp and the wrp developers are focusing their efforts already in these areas - widgets & Lua dev, in particular, are gonna make a huge difference in wz's evolution, i believe.
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Thraka
Greenhorn

Post by Thraka »

You don't need to get crazy with detail to have a super beautiful looking game engine. Look at Earth 2160 or especially Supreme Commander. For today's standards, the warzone game system is still very cool, the graphics are far from par though. Improving the capabilities of the graphics engine should be on a list of priorities but I always get the feeling people thing it's impossible to do :) But that is just my quick, uneducated cents.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

wz gfx spec can surely be improved. it's been done already. and the art at the new spec is very impressive but takes a hell
of a lot of work to achieve - more work ain't that appealing for most. my understanding is the wrp is rolling their own gfx format and
this could also potentially make a huge difference for artists (less headaches-more fun making in-game art) as well the way wz could
look so much better than it does at present, down the road some time. though the above pics are not in any way an accurate metric
of what is possible.

one thing outside the coder ranks that is NOT understood about wz source-engine is that if you make one thing better you are very likely to break something else that in turn needs fixing-improvement.... nothing happens in isolation, in other words, it is a dynamic, inextricable, state.

coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

well i never said warzone will look like that but it would be cool if it was that good. What we could do is things like adding reflective surfaces and normal/bumbmapping to factories to make them look more real. But it would be cool down the road to see higher res textures and higher polies.
the largest wz steam community http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wz2100 (all welcome to join help find matches find new relese and recruit new players)
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

i was speaking to Thraka's post.... but, here goes... :ninja:
----------

invoking the royal 'we' are we. gotta give that a lop-sided grin at least. ;)

if i may, let me quote EG from another context that could apply here and with a 1000+ other wishes expressed over the years:
You'd have a hard time finding someone who doesn't think that. Problem is finding someone to do that.
usually wishers outnumber workabees like 2000 to 1 in any given game community. what i find interesting is if the wishers
put as much into learning as they do wishing over the years they could become accomplished enough to DO a bunch of stuff
themselves - modding & mapping at least and even some scripting and coding isn't far-fetched. but nah...wishing someone else
would do it is so much more convenient. plus you can use technical terms you are absolutely clueless about implementation wise
in the context of the wz source...

ya know this all just so much talk and, if you're not prepared to act, it doesn't even amount to "a hill of beans" as a Bogey character put it
in one of his classic movies - "Casablanca", I think.... Rick talking to Ilsa towards the end, trying to let her down easy like..(i think on the list of the 100 best movies of all time voted thru the motion picture academy)

Thraka
Greenhorn

Post by Thraka »

It would be awesome to get a few modelers to just start pumping out content and not worry about textures. Then texture guys to start working out textures.. :) Like a nice little factory.

I'm a coder, but I hate C++.

But of course all the work done so far on the engine has been spectacular. A far far far jump from the old days of when I was on some forums with Black Sabbath. (I think that was his name, maybe sabbath black? hmm)

Side question:
Did anyone look at the Spring engine?
Skrim
Trained
Trained

Post by Skrim »

whippersnapper wrote:..

one thing outside the coder ranks that is NOT understood about wz source-engine is that if you make one thing better you are very likely to break something else that in turn needs fixing-improvement.... nothing happens in isolation, in other words, it is a dynamic, inextricable, state.

True. I'd prefer a perfectly functioning bug-free game over a feature-packed graphically advanced game with bugs.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

"Here's looking at you, kid."

Regards, Freddie.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Skrim wrote:
whippersnapper wrote:..

True. I'd prefer a perfectly functioning bug-free game over a feature-packed graphically advanced game with bugs.

How dare you talk about EA like that!