NEW STRUCTURE MODELS

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Olrox
Art contributor

NEW STRUCTURE MODELS

Post by Olrox »

Being a long-term warzone 2100 player, starting about 8 years ago, I couldn't stop looking at the game and saying myslef: "That could use some new models". Seriously, I know that the actual state of the models and engine make it almost universally compatible, being of extremelly low system requirements. But most of the players should think, like me, that those 15-polygoned structures really could be improved, and if they were, the game would look way much better.

Now, getting to the point (as I always do in long posts, anyway :D )

I've asked the dev-team if they wanted me to create some new, polished models for the game strucutres, and they said I could create them and wait for feed back. So, the application of them in the game itself should depend on approval by the community, dev-team, and viability in terms of performance changes, I think.
I'm going to post raw 3d-models, wich I'll first do in autoCAD, with only different colors, to allow better visualization, but no textures. At that stage, I could use your opinions, like "You could change <X>", "You could make that <Y> look more like the present one" etc.
After I've reached a decent level of approval, I'll start doing the necessary file type changes and texturizing, so the model fit the actual game engine without much work for the dev-team, and, if the community agrees, it could even be inserted in the game.

So, I'm going to try my best, and hope the community likes my work.
Hands on!
Olrox
Art contributor

Re: NEW STRUCTURE MODELS

Post by Olrox »

This is the new model I've created to the factory. The first stage wouldn't show the last two chimneys and none of the expansions(the dark grey parts with vents). The second stage would show the first two chimneys and the rightmost expansion module, and the third stage would show it as it is depicted here.
Attachments
New factory model version 1.1
New factory model version 1.1
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

hey olrox
interesting model, looks nice, has some c&c touch? :ninja:
i'm curious how it looks in the end, atm i don't wanna suggest anything because i always have my own models in mind xD

keep up the work!
shishkebab
Trained
Trained

Post by shishkebab »

Lookin' good! :D
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

interesting model, looks nice, has some c&c touch?
hahaha, If I've been playing WZ a long time ago, I've been playing C&C for double that time :D
I'ts hard not to get any influence, you know, but I don't remember any factory like that...
maybe the GDI war factory from C&C 3?
gotta take a look in your models, maybe I can get some interesting ideas!
shishkebab wrote:Lookin' good! :D
thank you!
MetalBeast
Trained
Trained

Post by MetalBeast »

Looks good, but I would prefer a version with 3 expansion modules(these dark grey parts).
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

MetalBeast wrote:Looks good, but I would prefer a version with 3 expansion modules(these dark grey parts).
Incoming

But, as I'm at the university right now and I do have a hour to spare, but I'm not with the factory model with me right now, so I'll try to make a research facility. I think the factory will look a bit strange with three expansion modules, though. Think they'll turn too small, but It'll be easy to make the model, so I'll do it tonight anyway.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Yeah, I think the difference between a factory and a factory with module needs to be more obvious. Remember, function is at least as important as form.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

As required, here is the version with 3 expansion modules, with additional windows to get your opinions on those too. How about this one?
Attachments
New factory 1.2
New factory 1.2
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Zarel wrote:Yeah, I think the difference between a factory and a factory with module needs to be more obvious. Remember, function is at least as important as form.
Ok, but what is more obvious, two large expansion sets or three smaller ones? I'll get some screens of the three stages for better comparison.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

i like the new one better than the other, perhaps you could do something with those fans :ninja:

starts to looks rather nice
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Okay, here they are.
Attachments
For comparison between versions 1.1 and 1.2.
For comparison between versions 1.1 and 1.2.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

elio wrote:perhaps you could do something with those fans :ninja:
Something... like... special? :D
What kind of something would you like, sir? xD
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

I think he means putting a real hole instead of black shadow, then put a thin fan on it, and add an animation which moves it when the factory is producing.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Nice work! I love the crisp edges and slightly cartoonish look of the model. Looks like it has a distinct, clear style, which I like.

On the other hand, not so sure about those expansions... makes the factory without them look unfinished, and gives the impression of trying to overclock the factory instead of expanding it, if you understand what I mean.

How many polygons is it?