What would you want to see for the next release cycle? VOTE!

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.

What would you want to see for the next release cycle?

Poll ended at 25 Sep 2008, 19:55

Continue on with 2.1 which now fixes path-finding (since beta 4), but NO FMVs, and breaks beta 4's savegames.
22%
Start with 2.2 which has improved path-finding, FMVs, older savegames work, and other enhancements.
66%
Release SOMETHING, I don't care what it is, but we have been waiting forever since the last stable release of 2.0.10!
13%

Total votes: 32

Buginator
Professional
Professional

What would you want to see for the next release cycle? VOTE!

Post by Buginator »

We know beta 4 has lots of issues, most of all, the path-finding is crap.
Here is a bit of a explanation.

The current release candidate 2.1, means that you can't use your old beta 4 savegames. This can be a big issue to some.
2.1 will not have FMVs.
2.1 does (should) fix the bad path-finding in 2.1 beta 4.

On the other hand, we could skip 2.1, and just go to 2.2.

All the fixes in 2.1 (since beta 4) are in 2.2 also.
2.2 savegames are the same format as 2.1 b4.
2.2 will have FMVs*.
2.2 will also have other enhancements.
(edit) releasing 2.2 will take longer to release than 2.1 (as the release cycle will have to start over again)

The only other problem with 2.2, is some of the features it has are untested by a wide pool of testers, so we may run into unforeseen issues.

In either case, there is going to be another beta, but if the beta is from 2.1 or 2.2, that is what I am attempting to find out.

So Vote NOW!

*on linux & windows at least, but we have no testing on macs yet!
p.s, sorry about the poll before, had to correct a few things.
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Re: What would you want to see for the next release cycle? VOTE!

Post by Deus Siddis »

FMV FTW. :)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

so 2.2 is going to be released when?
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

The bad pathfinding can really ruin skirmish games. The FMV's are cool, but not critical. I would really like a stable 2.1 that enables decent LAN and skirmish games!
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

lav_coyote25 wrote:so 2.2 is going to be released when?
Depends — if we decide to skip 2.1 (which the poll seems to indicate is the desired direction) — then probably not too long. Feature wise it will just include FMVs and multi-threaded path finding (along with a netcode improvement or two by myself).

So if that is the route we decide to go a beta can be expected quite soon. Final release is another matter.

Regards, Freddie.
ClockWork
Trained
Trained

Post by ClockWork »

The 2.2 seems to have many edges over continuing with 2.1

But it seems a little one sided that 2.2 has a bunch of great deals, and 2.1 does not. I would like to know the advantages of continuing 2.1 over starting 2.2
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

ClockWork wrote:The 2.2 seems to have many edges over continuing with 2.1

But it seems a little one sided that 2.2 has a bunch of great deals, and 2.1 does not. I would like to know the advantages of continuing 2.1 over starting 2.2
As I said:
The only other problem with 2.2, is some of the features it has are untested by a wide pool of testers, so we may run into unforeseen issues.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

I voted for 2.2, but with an important note: we shouldn't postpone it any further than that.

The kicker for me was the savegame compatibility -- if I were doing a campaign, and were a typical end-user, that would be especially important to me.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I can verify that 2.2's skirmishes and multiplayer are usable. The campaign is, of course, fairly messed up.

2.2 still has sync issues in multiplayer. The LasSat usually doesn't damage units (although I don't think it does in 2.1b4, either). The weird auto-repair thing. Flamer projectiles going everywhere. Flamers in Guard position turning back before they actually attack. Repair facilities being strange. Units ordered to Hold Position don't necessarily stop moving.

But most of these are also present in 2.1, and in my extensive testing, these are the only really annoying bugs I've noticed.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Zarel wrote:I can verify that 2.2's skirmishes and multiplayer are usable. The campaign is, of course, fairly messed up.

2.2 still has sync issues in multiplayer. The LasSat usually doesn't damage units (although I don't think it does in 2.1b4, either). The weird auto-repair thing. Flamer projectiles going everywhere. Flamers in Guard position turning back before they actually attack. Repair facilities being strange. Units ordered to Hold Position don't necessarily stop moving.

But most of these are also present in 2.1, and in my extensive testing, these are the only really annoying bugs I've noticed.
I have a patch for the sync issues (https://gna.org/patch/?1088) and Buggy I believe has a patch for the flamer projectiles.

Regards, Freddie.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Zarel wrote:I can verify that 2.2's skirmishes and multiplayer are usable. The campaign is, of course, fairly messed up.
O_o Care to elaborate about the campaign? I played all the way through to cam 2, without issue, with the videos.
Yes, most of those are in both versions.
EvilGuru wrote: I have a patch for the sync issues (https://gna.org/patch/?1088) and Buggy I believe has a patch for the flamer projectiles.
I got a temp fix for it, yeah. The issue is with the projectile code itself, and well... maybe we should revert.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Buginator wrote: O_o Care to elaborate about the campaign? I played all the way through to cam 2, without issue, with the videos.
...okay, so I should update my copy of trunk more often.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

And the results are in.

The 7 people that wanted 2.1 beta 5, it will be released shortly.

For the 21 people that wanted 2.2 beta 1. Your out of luck. O_O

For the 4 people who are indifferent, well, :|

:ninja:
Heh, just kidding, 2.2 ALPHA 1 has been released.
Giel has made a windows installer version, and it is on GNA right now.
DEBUG build:
http://download.gna.org/warzone/snapshots/warzone2100-TRUNK-r6074-debug-FMV5i.exe
RELEASE build:
http://download.gna.org/warzone/snapshots/warzone2100-TRUNK-r6074-FMV5i.exe
They are both ~188MB
The difference is a release build has optimized code, and runs faster, and 'crashes' less.
The debug build has debug info in it, is somewhat slower, and 'crashes' a bit more, since it has debug code in it, and we use that to tell us when something goes wrong. Or in other words, the debug build tells the devs more information than a release build.
Now, get out there and test! :)
:ninja:
skellr
Trained
Trained

Post by skellr »

Nice work you guys. Thanks :)
Jimmbob
Trained
Trained

Post by Jimmbob »

ahh the next stage in the wonderful development of Warzone 2100 =) great work you lot :D it is very much appreciated