DRAMA

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
kipman725
Trained
Trained

DRAMA

Post by kipman725 »

Seems some serious internet DRAMA going down at the wz2200 site:
Due to recent events we are closing the site off from the public. Just for the record I did not dismiss anyone from the project, but after seeing certain individuals leave there was no point in keeping info in the bug tracker or keeping irrelevant info on the site. 90 % of the info in the bug tracker was outdated and irrelevant. It was just some site clean up that was all. Coppercore your account was deleted by accident during the cleanup, sorry for that even though you had some harsh things to say. People that had their admin privileges removed, simple you broke the number one rule of the group by not giving one hour a week. Any one that is interested in the truth can email me, not all details will be given but there are things I can explain if anyone cares to hear them. Regards Grim
seems abit of a shame as I understand it they had made some warzone engine improvements.
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Re: DRAMA

Post by Chojun »

Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

kipman725 wrote:Seems some serious internet DRAMA going down at the wz2200 site:
Due to recent events we are closing the site off from the public. Just for the record I did not dismiss anyone from the project, but after seeing certain individuals leave there was no point in keeping info in the bug tracker or keeping irrelevant info on the site. 90 % of the info in the bug tracker was outdated and irrelevant. It was just some site clean up that was all. Coppercore your account was deleted by accident during the cleanup, sorry for that even though you had some harsh things to say. People that had their admin privileges removed, simple you broke the number one rule of the group by not giving one hour a week. Any one that is interested in the truth can email me, not all details will be given but there are things I can explain if anyone cares to hear them. Regards Grim
seems abit of a shame as I understand it they had made some warzone engine improvements.
The visual improvements was mainly because of the new artwork. I don't think the rendering engine was changed that much, if at all.
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Here is a list, just to name a few of the changes:

New Framework (C++)
VisiRaptor graphics library (C++, incomplete)
Drive mode
Target mode when driving (a-la PSX)
Colored cursors
Partially constructed buildings have partial HP
New map archives
Updated AI
Many new script functions
Fixes/changes in power calculation/accrual etc
Voice chat in the lobby (and in-game, soon)
Error handling/reporting
Config in .ini files instead of the registry
Fix for texel offset bug
Fixes in research
Zipped data
In the legacy renderer:
*32bit graphics
*32bit textures
*128, 256 tile texture size
*32bit texture colorkey
*512x512 textures
*32bit radar
*32bit teamcolor
True projectile hit/miss system
auto texture size in .pie detection
new map version allows 500x500 maps
gateway V2 and new map version to allow 500x500 maps
some other things I've certainly forgotten

This list doesn't even touch the fantastic stuff that Remus has done in the Map Editor (Edit World).
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

So what happens to all of that stuff now?
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

I think it will print out on about 12,500 rolls of toilet paper. :twisted:
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

I would suggest to wallpaper you working-room with that.
Would be some sort of cool, i think. :rolleyes:
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

I think I'll wallpaper your yard and house with it xD
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

---------

* Scatalogical humor aside (preferably in a toilet or locker room where it's suitable fare.... but possibly on a platter for those who find it agreeable fodder for a languishing intellect - that works too, I imagine ).

* I know it would be way more than cool (for the game and gamers present and future) if, as we've advocated for the better part of 2008, the SVN of this source was made public.

* Indeed it would be really the only, & rightly so, positive move - overdue, too, many would agree.

* The only other comment worth uttering - let's not presume a monopoly on specific endgames or, even more so, falter in complacency born of an arrogant fool's notion of omniscience while backed into nothing more than a corner with elbow room for one.

* Such caveats will likely garner little notice and less traction as mental predispositions are like straight-jackets, self-donned. A bane for some, opportunity for others. Like Punctuated Equilibria emergent rather than imposed by Mother Nature.

- RV ;)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Chojun wrote:Here is a list, just to name a few of the changes:
New map archives
The maps aren't in a zip file?
new map version allows 500x500 maps
500? O_o Ok, I will bite, why the oddball size? Yeah, I know double of the original, but still... or is that a artificial limit? :stare:
wari
Trained
Trained

Post by wari »

Bawwwww?
manaze
Trained
Trained

Post by manaze »

how far along with every did the project get? I cant understand why someone would give up. I dont understand why no matter how hard people work to make an expansion, it is doomed to fail. I DONT UNDERSTAND.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

manaze wrote:how far along with every did the project get? I cant understand why someone would give up. I dont understand why no matter how hard people work to make an expansion, it is doomed to fail. I DONT UNDERSTAND.
* Does it really make sense to flush 1000's of man hours of hard, quality, work done this past year down the drain... ?

* Would that not go well beyond drama and qualify as operatic-like melodrama which those prone to little are in their element to indulge ?

* Mark Twain said it best when he heard that the newspapers in London had published his obituary:

* "The recent reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

* Then there is the ancient Chinese curse:

* "May you live in interesting times..."

* Those interesting times amounting to either ostensible apathy or being harrassed for speaking to honest work done. So you can see there is hardly anything of value to lose by forgoeing discourse of that type or none at all.... aka, "the interesting times" are of no value so shucking their occasion is much more boon than loss.

- RV :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
manaze
Trained
Trained

Post by manaze »

HERES MY QUESTION:

Why was all the completed work maintained by one person with the power to destroy it? As much as i wanted 2200 to become a reality, which it very well was, if the individuals who were involved in the creating process were so incredibly stupid enough to allow one person to stop the project, then maybe its a lesson learned . ALthough, every attempt in the past to remake warzone has failed ,which should have been a warning. What is wrong with GRIM. I dont understand why he did this. Grim, if ur reading this, i hope this is all a fit of rage and u will have the determination to allow the project to continue.
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Post by Deus Siddis »

Chojun wrote:I think it will print out on about 12,500 rolls of toilet paper. :twisted:
But why in hell would you want to trash so much of your hard work? Why not at least just release it as GPL like you folks said you would so that maybe the WRP or other fan developers can work it into into the open sources and then build and improve on what you have accomplished? :-S :(