Attack formations

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
commander_dre
New user

Attack formations

Post by commander_dre »

Is there any way or any plan to include attack formations for units? I thught this was one of the coolest features in HomeWorld and I think it would definitely be a great addition to WarZone, if it's not there already.
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Re: Attack formations

Post by Powzone »

I thought about that sometimes too... :D
Arch / Intel Core i9 12900 / 32GB RAM / NVidia RTX2070 Super
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

Yes that's definetly a good idea, which many of us had in the past, but in the end a formation system had never been developed. I think this is due to the pathfinding problems which need to be solved, as units get stuck easily.

About the formations, it will be useful if they were unit-type-sensitive, so that you could choose which units place in the first line, which units in the back of the formation, and which units on the sides. Then units will be 1500 per player and the game will change its name to Warzone: Total War. [Spartan Hoplites will pwn there too anyway.]
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Actually, someone did take a crack at formations:
https://gna.org/patch/?964

Oh look, it was elio!
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

yup that was long ago hehe, unfortunately discontinued, i'll review it sometime, or perhaps someone else has appetite do to so ;)
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

Yeah, formations would be awesome. Perhaps it could be a commander feature, so that the commander could place assigned units in a simple formation where it is better defended from enemy attacks.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

I'm afraid this will not come until pathfinding is fixed.

...and pathfinding won't be fixed until pigs fly. So stay tuned.. ;)