Hosting MP on Vista

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Hosting MP on Vista

Post by J.Vaughan »

I know you guys dont support vista but some of you guys have obviously had success at hosting the game on vista, care to enlighten me to your tricks? Lets see, I run the program as admin, i disabled my windows firewall, don't have mcafee or any third party firewalls installed and have forwarded the ports 9999 and 9998 both udp and tcp using my router. Any additional ideas?

When either my friend or I try to host neither of us can see any games in the lobby, we're using the beta. Should we try the stable release?

My system specs are as follows...

Dell XPS M1530 Laptop
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit
2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
4GB DDR SDRAM
256MB Nvidia 8600GT
Verizon DSL 756kb/s
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Re: Hosting MP on Vista

Post by Kamaze »

J.Vaughan wrote:僕 識 you guys dont 推 vista
Who said that? The major problem is, that we don't have a real "Windows" maintainer, and no one of us uses windows vista, so we can't test.
What (warzone) version do you use?
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Kreuvf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kreuvf »

J.Vaughan wrote:[...] I run the program as admin [...]
You should really never ever do this. There is no need and you may expose your system to attackers. Warzone 2100 does not administrator rights to work properly.

You should first find out if the ports are forwarded properly/the whole network setup works as described.
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

Sorry for the lengthy time in betwee replies, I've used both the stable installer (v2.0.10) and the beta (2.1 beta 2)... anyways, I must have misread a few forums and thought that it was people running on vista. For the record, both 2.0.10 and 2.1 beta 2 run great on vista without having to run any compatability modes. However the only draw back thus far is that I, nor my friend, have been able to get WZ online multiplayer to work correctly. I have no firewalls installed, windows firewall disabled (for the sake of testing out wz) and have port forwarded my ports 9999 and 9998 correctly. I had doubts about my ports being correct because i recently performed a firmware update and it's method of starting and stopping port forwarding services are a bit more vauge than i was perviously used to. But as insurance I had my friend host as well multiple times with no result. If anyone else is running vista I'd love to see if we could get wz to work online just as further insurance its the os and not the game.

To go on, in vista many errors can be encountered if you don't run some programs in administrator mode. This is of course under my normal account, but some programs fail to work overall if it's not run under administrator mode. It's part of vista's newer security features. it does produce quite a nuissance however i doubt that it opens up my computer to additional securty risks other than if somone were to attack me somehow using wz (unlikley), at least to my knowledge.

just out of curiosity are you using vista kreuvf?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

not sure if hamachi works with vista - but have tried it (xp with sp3) and have been able to connect all the time. that is one option to look into. there will probably be others . :D
Troglodactyl
Greenhorn

Post by Troglodactyl »

I've hosted Warzone 2100 on Vista successfully using Hamachi, but I used the r5260 build and non Vista users couldn't see my hosted games. When an XP user hosted instead, all could join. Downgrading to XP and Ubuntu soon... :P
Kreuvf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kreuvf »

J.Vaughan wrote:just out of curiosity are you using vista kreuvf?
No, I do not use Vista.
rush2049
Trained
Trained

Post by rush2049 »

I use vista and have no problems whatsoever, but I can say that if you have vista and you try to run a opengl app, then your screwed if you have an ati card. (it doesn't work half the time and the other half has poor performance)

The beta has some issues so I haven't ever gotten it to run, but they are bugs not related to vista. 2.0 runs perfectly as well as 1.10, 1.11, and 1.12 so, it must be a driver or hardware problem, maybe check to see if tcp/ip and ipx protocalls are installed on the network connection, that usually helps.
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

hmm, i'll play around a little bit and see if i can get it to work. I'll double check the tpc and ip services are running....
NucNut
Trained
Trained

Post by NucNut »

I'm stuck using WZ on my less-than-a-year-old-pretty-nice-laptop that unfortunately has Vista on..... Had major trouble getting WZ to work initially... But 2.0.x and 2.10 beta 2 work wonderfully on it, now downloading the latest beta, ill try and get somefeedback 4 ya soon as i can
REDAC Aerospace: Proving that aircraft and terrain don't mix since 2005 :D
XFire Profile: dogzeroonefox
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

J.Vaughan wrote:I know you guys dont support vista but some of you guys have obviously had success at hosting the game on vista, care to enlighten me to your tricks? Lets see, I run the program as admin, i disabled my windows firewall, don't have mcafee or any third party firewalls installed and have forwarded the ports 9999 and 9998 both udp and tcp using my router. Any additional ideas?

When either my friend or I try to host neither of us can see any games in the lobby, we're using the beta. Should we try the stable release?
Which router do you have? It looks like a router issue, if you disabled the firewall.

I would try 2.1 beta 4. I would also open up all ports 9997-9999, and perhaps as a test, to bypass the router all together.

You can also try to connect via ip instead of lobby. (The lobby may be down--dunno)
Just goto ipchicken.com (or whatever) and get your IP address, and then tell that to your friend, and you should be able to connect.

Remember, you must select host, then pick map/power/whatever, and then hit the button with the arrows all around it (on left side next to map name). Then sit & wait for your friend.
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

Hmm, I've been having problems with my updated version of firmware on my router regarding port forwarding lately. I'm highly suspicious of it, thats why I need a few other people to do some testing. Anyways, we tried via IP because we had suspected that the lobby might be down for w.e. reason however it failed on both ends. I'm asking for some help in port forward right now to see if anyone has any information regarding my Versalink 327W updated firmware.

Is it even possible to completely bypass my DSL router? If so please explain :)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

J.Vaughan wrote:Hmm, I've been having problems with my updated version of firmware on my router regarding port forwarding lately. I'm highly suspicious of it, thats why I need a few other people to do some testing. Anyways, we tried via IP because we had suspected that the lobby might be down for w.e. reason however it failed on both ends. I'm asking for some help in port forward right now to see if anyone has any information regarding my Versalink 327W updated firmware.

Is it even possible to completely bypass my DSL router? If so please explain :)
I suggest you follow this advice: (BTW, that is a GOOD site to ask about your hardware on!)
Versalink DMZ How to (#13381) @ http://www.dslreports.com/faq/westell/5.0_VersaLink

or turn FW off, (don't forget to turn it on again when done!) I was reading: http://www.westell.com/images/pdf/vlg_userguide.pdf