Main Menu Proposal

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
elio
Regular
Regular

Main Menu Proposal

Post by elio »

The current Main Menu needs (in my opinion) revision. i propose following layout :)

Tutorial: Truck
Multiplayer-Game: World with Tank
Options: some tools
Credits (?): some people
..?
Attachments
Main Menu Proposal
Main Menu Proposal
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Main Menu Proposal

Post by lav_coyote25 »

looks good - start coding... :)
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Maybe we promote this to the first testcase for BetaWidget, EvilGuru?
It's one of the more difficult tasks, but if it can handle that one, it is likely it will handle more widgets, too.
manaze
Trained
Trained

Post by manaze »

if u biuld it, they will play.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Actually, that kind of thing will not be too hard!

We will have an n-gon layout widget, which takes a variable number of equally sized buttons. They are then placed such that the centres of the buttons form the edges of a regular shaped n-gon.

So yeah, totally possible! I would like to convert the main menus over first, then (later) we can tackle the in-game UI.

Regards, Freddie.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

That is certainly an interesting twist on the traditional main menu dialog.
Kreuvf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kreuvf »

Nice idea, but how would this work with the subsequent menus? The options menus and the load/save campaign "menu" for example.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

would it be possible for each of the main buttons to host several child buttons? this way would take care of a numerous amount of dialogs.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

lav_coyote25 wrote:would it be possible for each of the main buttons to host several child buttons? this way would take care of a numerous amount of dialogs.
yeah, awesome idea -- perhaps each button that is clicked could create several sub-menu buttons that go outward, until something more traditional is needed, such as the key config component.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

evilguru said transformations (rotation, scaling, moving) and scripts are possible :)

you click on 'single player campaign', the labels smoothly disappear, the whole thing move up-left, the 6 (without close-button) icons rotate until the 'single player campaign'-icon is in the right-bottom corner. then all the other icons smoothly disappear, the selected icon becomes larger and then two labels appear on the right side of the icon: 'load campaign' 'new campaign'
you clik on new campaign and everything fades to black, the first campaign movie starts
xD

ah, an idea for background: we create two cloud images, one white, ond black (see inside gimp-xcf file), the black one is over the bdrop, the white below. the black goes fast, the white goes slow, both in the same direction. - ok, it's not entirely my idea, the game call of duty also has this clouds :rolleyes:
(see image)

ok, these would be two high resource using ideas, i suggest the ability to disable these features since they're not necessary
Attachments
clouds png
clouds png
clouds-example.xcf.gz
clouds gimp-xcf
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 263 times
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

elio wrote: ah, an idea for background: we create two cloud images, one white, ond black (see inside gimp-xcf file), the black one is over the bdrop, the white below. the black goes fast, the white goes slow, both in the same direction.
This sounds really awesome. :suprised:
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

I like the idea and the layout in the first post a lot!
As for the movement I think it would be nice if the submenu buttons move out of the main menu buttons, when pointing with the mouse at them. I always liked the movement of the shades in "Carmagaddon TDR 2000" while moving through the menus, because the 4 shades move one after the other. This movement would fit nice for the buttons in it in my opinion. I hope you know the game... It's hard to make a screenshot of it... :D
Furthermore I think this way it would need less resources instead of blending the buttons even if it's a good idea too. ;)
Arch / Intel Core i9 12900 / 32GB RAM / NVidia RTX2070 Super
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

What happened to this whole idea? Something in progress yet?
Arch / Intel Core i9 12900 / 32GB RAM / NVidia RTX2070 Super
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Powzone wrote:What happened to this whole idea? Something in progress yet?
Hmmm... first time I saw this thread. :suprised:

Anyway, my guess would be sometime after 2.1 officially gets released.
Maybe by Xmas '08 (or '09 ;) )
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Attached is a sketch-up that I have been working on in Inkscape. The idea is to show what will happen when one clicks on one of the reticule buttons in the main menu (using the animation API).

The (impressive looking) icons are intended to be used for the in-game reticule, as opposed to the main menu, but you get the point.
Attachments
Main Menu Animation.png