Inserting Music

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
Ianator
Rookie
Rookie

Inserting Music

Post by Ianator »

Okay, I'm not entirely sure where I found the instructions around here, because I can't find it anymore. Sooo...

I'm attempting to build a playlist for WZ2100. I'm wondering, is the list made by creating a plain text file and changing its extension from .txt or whatever to what playlists are? That'd be my guess, as I don't think most playlists from WinAmp or something would have the words "game" and "menu" in them. And I'm also hoping that WZ has .mp3 support.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Inserting Music

Post by lav_coyote25 »

is possible the instructions are in the wikki... if not let me know and i will search my archives and get the info to you.
Ianator
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ianator »

I just remembered where I found this... in the Readme. The playlist-making info isn't on the wiki anywhere.

Okay, I just made up a text file with my stuff in it. I renamed it music.wpl and placed it in C:\Program Files\Warzone 2100\music. I even put my tunes in the same folder, but nothing's coming up yet. Any immediately obvious ideas?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Terminator wrote:
Music works only in 2.0.4_RC1(in 2.0.3 its not work) mp3's files and music.wpl must be in "wz2100\music\" folder.

music.wpl must containe next : (in this exemple I have 4 tracks in ogg format)

[game]
path=.
shuffle=yes
wz1.ogg
wz2.ogg
wz3.ogg
wz4.ogg

[menu]
path=.
wz1.ogg
Ianator
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ianator »

2.0.4... I'm using 2.1 RC2, but unless the music code is for stable releases only I doubt it was removed for 2.1.

Now that I think about it, the readme says everything needs to be lowercase. And while it is, I have a "-" (hyphen, minus, whatever) in each filename. Could that be an issue?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Ianator wrote:2.0.4... I'm using 2.1 RC2, but unless the music code is for stable releases only I doubt it was removed for 2.1.

Now that I think about it, the readme says everything needs to be lowercase. And while it is, I have a "-" (hyphen, minus, whatever) in each filename. Could that be an issue?
No, it wasn't removed, but it must be in .ogg format.
I don't recall if case will make a difference on windows builds, but to play it safe, have them the same case.

The place for the .wpl file also changed between versions.

To tell you the truth, it is better to use winamp or whatever, anyway.
Ianator
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ianator »

Sorry it took so long to reply. I just got done with moving.

Anyways, it looks like the problem is just plain .mp3 support. If anyone knows a free Windows-compatible mp3->ogg converter around there, I'd appreciate a link. I'll do my own searching as well.

Man, and I was this|| close to inserting the awesome Starcraft music into WZ2100, too...
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Ianator wrote:Sorry it took so long to reply. I just got done with moving.

Anyways, it looks like the problem is just plain .mp3 support. If anyone knows a free Windows-compatible mp3->ogg converter around there, I'd appreciate a link. I'll do my own searching as well.

Man, and I was this|| close to inserting the awesome Starcraft music into WZ2100, too...
http://www.vorbis.com/software/

Tons of stuff available, most are free, some are not.
Ianator
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ianator »

IT'S ALIIIVE!

I downloaded GoldWave and converted my music to .ogg! I could've sworn this game had .mp3 support. Oh well, it works now!

Once again, thanks!
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

And here comes another one, if you don't want to use GoldWave or other editors to simply convert .mp3 to .ogg:

http://www.freemp3wmaconverter.com/free ... erter.html

Works fine for me! :)
Arch / Intel Core i9 12900 / 32GB RAM / NVidia RTX2070 Super
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Ianator wrote:IT'S ALIIIVE!

I downloaded GoldWave and converted my music to .ogg! I could've sworn this game had .mp3 support. Oh well, it works now!

Once again, thanks!
It *did* have .mp3 support via libmad.
I dunno why it was cut. (Or maybe I do, but I forgot the reason :stare: )
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Buginator wrote:It *did* have .mp3 support via libmad.
I dunno why it was cut. (Or maybe I do, but I forgot the reason :stare: )
I cut it long time ago, after no user complained in the survey for this, and I wanted to cut down dependencies.
Mainly because libmad didn't want to be build on all systems easily (iirc).
Additionaly Ogg more free then MP3, which some see as a plus, and conversion from MP3 (or anything else) to Ogg is easy, so everyone can do it.
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

Ianator wrote:Sorry it took so long to reply. I just got done with moving.

Another two great converter are the Audacity and the Foobar2000

Take a look in this topic made by me talking about dowloading some good OGG Player Editor:
viewtopic.php?f=8&p=17379#p17379
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

i don't think transcoding from one lossy format to another is ever a good idea... it's like cutting off a toe so you can fit in a box better... mp3 and ogg make you take different toes -- if you go from one to the other, you lose both.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

kage wrote:i don't think transcoding from one lossy format to another is ever a good idea... it's like cutting off a toe so you can fit in a box better... mp3 and ogg make you take different toes -- if you go from one to the other, you lose both.
Unless it is from a much higher bit-rate to a much lower one: 320kbit/s MP3 to 128kbit/s MP3 is probably going to be almost indistinguishable from FLAC to 128kbit/s MP3.

But yes, transcoding is normally best avoided where possible. (Nice analogy by the way!)

Regards, Freddie.