interface ideas

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
elio
Regular
Regular

interface ideas

Post by elio »

i felt a new creative phase and started drawing

energy, base, fogofwar, tech-level, alliances are buttons you can click and they change the state (ex. no bases, bases, advanced bases)

map has the same behaviour as now (showing "maps" instead of "players")
the same with the pliers&gear-icon, it's used for mod selection/activation. shown like the maps plus there is a little checkbox to activate/deactivate a specific mod.

well it's only an idea, hopefully someone can be inspired :)

remark: i forgot the 'build restrictions'-button (have you ever used it?), but i would propose something like the no-bases, bases, advanced bases button, like no-vtol, no-cyborgs, no-tanks ...
Attachments
interface proposals
interface proposals
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: interface ideas

Post by DevUrandom »

Looks quite good to me! I like it.
And I think it is doable in the game, since it seems it does nothing that is not currently done anyway.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

i also was thinking about when you click on a flag on the map and then on another, they will replace each other.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

same as elio, this way we can have fixed positions on the map... i hate starting a map, and having my friend all across the map... lol.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I like it already.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Unless we move to 800x600 for menu screens, we got a problem.

Without text, it is non-intuitive... well, let me show this example.
Attachments
minimap.jpg
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

cant you just make a tooltip text pop up each time you put your mouse on an icon?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

winsrp wrote:cant you just make a tooltip text pop up each time you put your mouse on an icon?
Yup... but we are still starved for space.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Buginator wrote:
winsrp wrote:cant you just make a tooltip text pop up each time you put your mouse on an icon?
Yup... but we are still starved for space.
then i would suggest moving the alliance, visibility, starting bases, and other similar options to another "tabbed" page -- that would give more than enough room.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

why don't you make a tab as kage says, but in one tab put the options, and on the other put the map... so this way you can leave the map in first plane, so everyone can see, options on second plane... and you no longer have to put the map on the back ground.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

first i'm happy you like the layout
Buginator wrote:Unless we move to 800x600 for menu screens, we got a problem.
hmm, with the current gui yes, and the (planned) gui afaik is resizeable? then there wouldn't exist this problems, would they?
Buginator wrote:Without text, it is non-intuitive... well, let me show this example.
why shouldn't it be intuitive.. if you clicked trough everything, everything is clear, or else you can consult the manual. :P tool tip is okay for me.

the player name should only appear once on display. so i would propose to edit the name right in the 'player's list. (indicating by some pencil or so, or the GO button)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

winsrp wrote:why don't you make a tab as kage says, but in one tab put the options, and on the other put the map... so this way you can leave the map in first plane, so everyone can see, options on second plane... and you no longer have to put the map on the back ground.
If only it was that easy, or should that be easier said than done?
While it is possible, the GUI code is still a huge PITA to work with.
It is very limiting in what can/can not be done.

I am just not sure it is worth it to hack what we need now, or just wait for the newer GUI code. :stressed:
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

not that anybody likes this idea, but...

for the *main menu* (not necessarily in-game stuff), we could use a gui tk that has a native opengl backend. i know that fltk and qt4 have this, and possibly gtk2 since its recent integration with cairo (not that i'm at all a fan of gtk performance), and i still think that qt4 is a bit heavy (but this is a game, so whatever), and fltk, although my personal favorite amongst the lot, does not have C bindings (only C++), which i consider unfortunate, since the last thing i think warzone needs is a reason to start a full conversion to C++.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

kage wrote:not that anybody likes this idea, but...

for the *main menu* (not necessarily in-game stuff), we could use a gui tk that has a native opengl backend. i know that fltk and qt4 have this, and possibly gtk2 since its recent integration with cairo (not that i'm at all a fan of gtk performance), and i still think that qt4 is a bit heavy (but this is a game, so whatever), and fltk, although my personal favorite amongst the lot, does not have C bindings (only C++), which i consider unfortunate, since the last thing i think warzone needs is a reason to start a full conversion to C++.
As for C++ (I personally can see a lot of places where Warzone could benefit from it), it is possible to compile Warzone using a C++ compiler (specifically G++ with the -fpermissive flag). But right now it produces binaries that *will* crash on startup. (I know it used to work some 3000-4000 revisions ago though...).
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

You do not need to convert the "gnarly old C" of Warzone to C++ just to use a C++ library. Just write wrappers for the parts you use. I've been thinking about using Qt4 before, since its excellent style sheets would probably allow you to theme the widgets to look just like Warzone's. Although this is a digression. Rewriting this dialog using the old GUI code is probably much faster and more feasible in the short run.