Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part 2

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
The Shu Dragon Sniper
Greenhorn

Re: Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part 2

Post by The Shu Dragon Sniper »

Whenever i click on cam1 structures or etc it automatically shuts down the game for me, but its only in the same one or two maps. i believe concrete or manhattan in 8p, it comes very early on as well.
Player1 wrote: 1: Design your own defenses. Example: Start with basic bunker, then add whichever weapon you want to it. Basically, like designing a vehicle, but with defensive structures. It would be cool to have a repair tower with an extended range repair turret that could tend to you defenses and other base structures while you are away commanding your troops. :)
2: Settings for tech level in multiplayer games. You can specify which level, or tier, your technology starts off at. No more waiting around for the VTOLs or Rail Gun ;)
3: Include a chart of the tech tree accessible via the research tab, so you can look at past technologies. Also, a downloadable PDF file of the entire tech tree would be nice ;D
4: Not sure if its a bug, but it would be nice if the standard sensor would auto target enemies like a normal weapon when there are artillery units attached to it(I'm talking about vehicle sensor and vehicle artillery). Also, it would be nice to attache fixed(building) artillery to sensor vehicles.
5: Blind fire capability for artillery. Example: You select your artillery, then select a spot on the map as their target. They fire shells off into the general vacinity, but not with great accuracy, because they can't see what they are shooting at.
6: MORE MULTIPLAYER MAPS!!!!!
7: Ability to skip through the "movie" sequences, like when you get an incoming message, wait ten seconds, get the message, wait a bit more for it to end.
8: More than just ten control groups. I'd like to assign at least 2 dozen groups, if possible. if not, i'll settle for 15.
9: If possible, I'd like to see some original weapons included in the game, at least for multiplayer purposes. Mine fields would be nice, as would cruise missles. And to counter cruise missles, their would be a defense system, maybe like a anti missle laser or something, to shoot down incoming missles.
10: A sequel! Ok, not using the old engine. But I really like the gameplay, maybe some game designer will make something like Warzone 2100, using modern game engines/graphics/physics.
nuber 2 is possible, you click t1, t2 or t3, t3 being the highest, though i wish theyd tell us so we dont find out the hard way.....

maybe a custom map editor in the next version?
the most i want to see, and thought i would, is 3 weapon turrents, mainly because of the python and heavy bodies having the ability to hold 2 weapons, i thought super heavies would naturally have 3, heck theres even a space for a 3rd weapon :D
^ pl0z?
Plus, having 2 weapons is already unfair XD
Also, being able to cross over turrents, such as having a commander turrent, on a dragon body, with a superflamer gel, and a archangel rocket?
Flail13
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Flail13 »

- an AI that doesn't cheat and is smart would be nice, since skirmish is the main thing i play this game for.

- i dislike the idea of units that have their propulsion completely destroyed. the normal speed reduction is good enough IMO and pathfinding is already bad enough without immobile units clogging the place up.
- but i like the idea of units losing their turrets and/or ROF, since they can be repaired.

- IMO splitting damage into different categories such as propulsion, turrets, systems, etc is making the game too complicated.

- i think being able to design defenses is a good idea. it would take away pages of unwanted research or build items.

- need more description of how everything works. for example, how is the amount of damage a unit takes calculated? so that i know how to design my units.

- i'm against fortresses. if better weapons and armour can be built, i want them on my tanks too.

- maybe there should be some cost involved with repairing? such as at a rate of 1/2 or 1/3 the normal cost.
Player1
Greenhorn

Post by Player1 »

Flail13 wrote: - an AI that doesn't cheat and is smart would be nice, since skirmish is the main thing i play this game for.

- i dislike the idea of units that have their propulsion completely destroyed. the normal speed reduction is good enough IMO and pathfinding is already bad enough without immobile units clogging the place up.
- but i like the idea of units losing their turrets and/or ROF, since they can be repaired.

- IMO splitting damage into different categories such as propulsion, turrets, systems, etc is making the game too complicated.

- i think being able to design defenses is a good idea. it would take away pages of unwanted research or build items.

- need more description of how everything works. for example, how is the amount of damage a unit takes calculated? so that i know how to design my units.

- i'm against fortresses. if better weapons and armour can be built, i want them on my tanks too.

- maybe there should be some cost involved with repairing? such as at a rate of 1/2 or 1/3 the normal cost.

I agree with most of this. However, I wish to note that the fortress emplacements are essentially scaled up versions of the weapons equiiped on vehicles, not just simply improved versions of said weopons. Therefore, it wouldn't be right to fit a fortress gauss cannon or missle launcher on a python or tiger body, or even the dragon. I guess with the fortresses, bigger is better ;D. Course, they are pretty easy to destroy, and due to high cost, you are usually unlikely to see more than a couple, especially during multiplayer games were it is more cost effective to produce vehicles than fixed structures.

About the repair cost, do you mean in relation to vehicles with the proposed destroyed turrets/weapon systems? Or do you just mean general repair? In either case, I'd rather just buy a whole new vehicle than repair one for 1/2 or even 1/3 price.

Oh yeah, another suggestion that I should have added to my earlier list(see above). Imo, treads, hover, and vtols should be able to turn 360, while staying in the same place. If that is not possible I would like to see all vehicles with much tighter turning capability. It is frustrating to me when I order damage vehicles to retreat/repair, only to have them destroyed while they are making their long, eliptical turn to the repair facility.

Last thing, not sure if it is a bug, but on the 2.1 beta if your units are ordered to "hold ground" they don't engage enemies even if they are being fired upon. A bit of annoyance, amplified by the fact that my units seemingly go into "hold ground" even when I didn't even order them to. Act of God? Perhaps, but if it can be helped I would like that fixed.
Sonsalt
Trained
Trained

Post by Sonsalt »

It would be nice to see some physic effects on the units, like accelerating.

For now tanks and infantry automatically go to full speed, and there is no effect on the speed by hills.

So my wish would be to introduce accelerating/breaking effects, as well as uphill and downhill effects.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Sonsalt wrote: It would be nice to see some physic effects on the units, like accelerating.

For now tanks and infantry automatically go to full speed, and there is no effect on the speed by hills.

So my wish would be to introduce accelerating/breaking effects, as well as uphill and downhill effects.
Are we playing the same game? It has all of those things already.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

Per wrote: Are we playing the same game? It has all of those things already.
Yea I though so too.. but i didn't want to say anything in case I look like an idiot  ;D

Don't know what game Sonsalt is playing though....
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

a user set default list of unit templates linked to T1, T1, & T3.
so that you dont have to spent your time designing units at the start of games.

---------

and rotate buildings(factories) in game... hold click, press arrow key or something.
or make it a click-drag thing with an arrow indicating exit.
Last edited by psychopompos on 19 May 2008, 04:12, edited 1 time in total.
MOTHERBOARD - MSI P7N PLATINUM¦-¦PROCESSOR - C2D E7300 @ 4.00GHZ
MEMORY - 4 Gig (2x2gig) ddr2 1066mhz¦-¦OPERATING SYSTEM - WINDOWS 7 (ULT)
GRAPHICS - BFG GTX 260 OCX (requires ForceWare drivers for good openGL)
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pettman »

It would be nice to have a complete tech-tree available in-game, possibly in the intel screen. It might be hard to do without running out of screen space though.
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pettman »

Extra sneaky sensor cyborgs. :P
Kaldera
Trained
Trained

Post by Kaldera »

Vielen Dank für eure großartige Arbeit. Ich spiele WZ alle Jahre wieder, und immer wieder gerne.

Was ich gerne hätte:
- Verteidigungsanlagen selbst zusammenstellen
- besseres Pathfinding
- Formationen, zumindest sollten die schnelleren Einheiten einer Gruppe sich den langsamen anpassen.
- Laserzäune (evtl. auch andere)

Zu Letzterem hab ich mir auch schon ein wenig Gedanken gemacht wie das zu realisieren wäre:
Bunker mit Laserwaffe, der nur in Richtung des nächsten derartigen Laserzaunbunkers schiessen kann.
Grundlegende Sachen sind bereits ingame vorhanden. Schwierigkeiten seh ich bei der maximalen Reichweite (soll ja nicht über den nächsten Laserzaunbunker hinaus schiessen) und der Ausrichtung zum nächsten. Ebenso müsste ein solcher Bunker über 2 Laser für die 2 verschiedenen Richtungen verfügen, damit ein richtiger Zaun aufgebaut werden kann (an Endpunkten ist der 2te Laser deaktiviert oder sogar frei rotierbar).

Sorry, for bad english:

Many thanks for (forth-)developing this great game, i am playing again and again since years.

My wishes:
- designable defenses similar to units
- better pathfinding
- formations, at least should the faster units of a group slow down to the slowest
- laser-fences

Some thoughts to laser-fences:
Should be a bunker with laser-weapon, which can only fire in direction to the next near laser-fence-bunker (l-f-b).
Basics are already ingame (i.e. no rotation), so difficulties could be to define the range (not beyond the linked l-f-b) and how to orientate towards the next. Also it should have 2 lasers for directing to two different l-f-b's to build an appropriate fence. (at end-points the second one is inactivated or behaves like a free rotable)
NucNut
Trained
Trained

Post by NucNut »

I'd like to see range of weapon appearing as a circle o fire thing. You now when u press shift-f11 a circle appears showing the sensor range of each unit? Something similar that shows the weapon range would be ideal, but admittedly, showing an archangel launchers rane would probably cause lag... ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and a cyborg with a backpack mounted sensor turret that rotates, then stops rotating and lines up when a target is designated would be awesome....
REDAC Aerospace: Proving that aircraft and terrain don't mix since 2005 :D
XFire Profile: dogzeroonefox
mollemannen
New user

Post by mollemannen »

multiplayer bot support please.
Tiger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tiger »

Not sure if these have been breached, but I propose the following. If any have been implemented in 2.1, I unfortunately have not been able to run it (owing to my laptop's generic Intel Graphics Accelerator or whatever.) I think that's the problem. Maybe.

1.) Sensor ranges that adjust for upgrades- when I display sensor ranges, it isn't expanded by the two sensor upgrades that you can research.

2.) I second Nucnut. Have a display for WEAPONS ranges. (so I can see if my artillery is within danger of CB.)

3.) If it is at all possible, change up the VTOL weapons as follows:

-When AT missiles are used, maybe tuck one barrel under each wing? (2 per wing for TK)
-Bomb bays that don't float in mid air because you use a small chassis (sling them under the body, perhaps).
-Pull the hardpoint for smaller bodies back, so that the cannon or whatever weapon you use is not as long again as the vehicle itself.

4.) While we're on the subject of VTOLs, fix the turning while in attack runs? (Something tells me you guys have been trying, but still, having one stop in midair as it turns is just kinda dumb.)

5.) Ability to select enemy vehicles to check THEIR ranges (based on first two points) or keep their BP visible. (I dislike having to hold the right button over the vehicle, because it occasionally causes the camera to move if I accidentally move or forget to release the button. Maybe display health bars on hover?
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

set a max-simultanious-sounds.
could possibly fix a bug where sounds (propulsion/derricks) pile up & continue indefinitely on some machines.

will there be FLAC support alongside the ogg support?