Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part 2

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
R3dP!pe
Greenhorn

Re: Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part 2

Post by R3dP!pe »

So, finally I defeated Nexus.  :)  And I found another annoying thing. If you assign artillery to a commander, it will follow the commander although it can fire across the whole map (ripple rockets). They got in the way of retreating assault tanks that were taken down by the pursuers because of the artillery traffic jam >:(

There is a way to avoid it. Only attach the artillery to the commander when the commander is firing at a target. The artillery will imediately fire from their possition. When the target is destroyed, detach the artillery, or they will start moving. Would be nice to command the artillery to stand still when they're attached. You could reprogram the "hold position" command for it.

As it is stationary artillery is much better than moving artillery.
Arcalane
Trained
Trained

Post by Arcalane »

R3dP!pe wrote: So, finally I defeated Nexus.  :)  And I found another annoying thing. If you assign artillery to a commander, it will follow the commander although it can fire across the whole map (ripple rockets). They got in the way of retreating assault tanks that were taken down by the pursuers because of the artillery traffic jam >:(

There is a way to avoid it. Only attach the artillery to the commander when the commander is firing at a target. The artillery will imediately fire from their possition. When the target is destroyed, detach the artillery, or they will start moving. Would be nice to command the artillery to stand still when they're attached. You could reprogram the "hold position" command for it.

As it is stationary artillery is much better than moving artillery.
It's better to assign artillery to a sensor tank in my experience. I don't know if you can set up a chain (ie, artillery -> sensor tank -> artillery tank - I doubt it because that would allow far more units to be chained to a commander than their experience level) but sensor tanks can be lead along behind the main force with the commander and it's assault tanks working as spotters (or the sensor tank working as a spotter behind those tanks seeing as they have a very respectable sight range) and then have the sensor tank hotkeyed/grouped.
qwerty800
Trained
Trained

Post by qwerty800 »

???
Ummm...
Does someone just saw my previous (My preciousssss...) message:
qwerty800 wrote:
psychopompos wrote: would adding system/turret kill and movement kill to gameplay be interesting/popular?

say you hit a tank with a few bombs or arty rounds, this would kill the turret but not kill the tank, so it would then have to go get fixed to fire again.
or you shoot the side of it with a heavy weapon, it would kill the propulsion but leave it still able to fire.

like what happens to real tanks.
I rlly like this idea but...

We need to change it a bit:

Instead of directly affect the performances of the tank, the projectiles should damage the hull before to destroy the core system

Also, we need a screen to report the unit state:
Sensors: Ok (100%)
Cameras: Badly Damaged (42%)
Turret: Ok (93%)
Targeting Computer: Critical (20%)
Engine: Damaged (73%)
Signal quality: Excellent
Hull: Failed to respond (0%)
Sensors: Allow you to know the state of your systems. When damaged, your damage reports lose accuracy (they would be rounded at 5%, 10%, 20% etc...).
Cameras: Allow you to see. When destroyed, the unit is blind. It can communicate with other units to get a visual support
Turret: Allow you to shoot. Wen damaged, it take longer to reload and lose rate of fire.
Targeting computer: Allow you to aim. When damaged, the unit lose accuracy.
Engine: Allow you to move. When damaged, your tank move slower, can't climb hills anymore.
Signal quality: Allow the unit to recieive orders and to communicate with other units.
Hull: A global protection for everything. If destroyed, the core systems are vunerables. But the core system won't suffer in other case.

Note: If a unit is blind and can't commuticate with others, it won't move when another unit bump on it

To get a balenced game, we should convert the current unit life in hull instead of completly change it.
Also, the retreat options should be changed in "Retrait when med hull" and "Retreat when low hull"

It would be a great step forward for WZ2100.
~~If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything don't do it.~~
[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=ks-N4rI_1RU&feature=related]
This Guy for PRESID
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

qwerty800 wrote: ???
Ummm...
Does someone just saw my previous (My preciousssss...) message:I rlly like this idea but...

We need to change it a bit:

Instead of directly affect the performances of the tank, the projectiles should damage the hull before to destroy the core system

Also, we need a screen to report the unit state:Sensors: Allow you to know the state of your systems. When damaged, your damage reports lose accuracy (they would be rounded at 5%, 10%, 20% etc...).
Cameras: Allow you to see. When destroyed, the unit is blind. It can communicate with other units to get a visual support
Turret: Allow you to shoot. Wen damaged, it take longer to reload and lose rate of fire.
Targeting computer: Allow you to aim. When damaged, the unit lose accuracy.
Engine: Allow you to move. When damaged, your tank move slower, can't climb hills anymore.
Signal quality: Allow the unit to recieive orders and to communicate with other units.
Hull: A global protection for everything. If destroyed, the core systems are vunerables. But the core system won't suffer in other case.

Note: If a unit is blind and can't commuticate with others, it won't move when another unit bump on it

To get a balenced game, we should convert the current unit life in hull instead of completly change it.
Also, the retreat options should be changed in "Retrait when med hull" and "Retreat when low hull"

It would be a great step forward for WZ2100.
thats a bit overly complicated though. is it not?
besides, the way atgm's & hvat rounds work is by penetrating the armour & causing explosion inside.

i do like the loss of accuracy/ROF. that would be interesting. possibly the visibility impairment would be realistic too.

tanks die as;
M-Kill = mobility kill, --- loss of (a) track(s) or drive, movement ability impaired~destroyed. - tank most likely repairable

most common, R.P.G, I.E.D. could do it

F-Kill = firepower kill,--- loss of turret function, offensive ability impaired~destroyed. - tank likely repairable
top strike by at-gm, arty, heavy mortar could do it.

C-Kill = catastrophic kill,--- tank completely disabled~destroyed, very likely crew fatality. - tank possibly repairable, but not likely.
basically, your F.U.B.A.R.

bombs, heavy at-gm, air strike, heavy arty, the larger stuff.

it was with theses in mind i made the initial suggestion.
MOTHERBOARD - MSI P7N PLATINUM¦-¦PROCESSOR - C2D E7300 @ 4.00GHZ
MEMORY - 4 Gig (2x2gig) ddr2 1066mhz¦-¦OPERATING SYSTEM - WINDOWS 7 (ULT)
GRAPHICS - BFG GTX 260 OCX (requires ForceWare drivers for good openGL)
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

traditionally, any kind of artillery shell hitting the top of a tank was considered catastrophic. i don't know if that's still the case though.  one of the main threats of artillery to tanks was that a nearby shell would hit ground under the tank, and the kinetic energy would flip it over, or take out the treads, or at the very least create a hole that the tank might get stuck in.
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pettman »

Probably been mentioned somewhere but here goes anyways:
Alternate mouse-configuration, my suggestion would be (rather war- and starcraft like):
Left: Select and unselect unit(s)
Middle (wheel or left and right button at once): Rotate camera
Right: Move, attack, or other appropriate order.
Optimum would off course be fully customizable mouse-configuration.

Set up the groups slightly differently, so that you can add units to an existing group by pressing shift and the number of the group.
Last edited by pettman on 07 May 2008, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
HCN-Trooper
Trained
Trained

Post by HCN-Trooper »

A new command....to get units in a formation....(like in CnC3 KW)...

that would be cool...
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

HCN-Trooper wrote: A new command....to get units in a formation....(like in CnC3 KW)...

that would be cool...
There is a patch for formations in the tracker, I don't recall the status of it though.
and it ends here.
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

kage wrote: traditionally, any kind of artillery shell hitting the top of a tank was considered catastrophic. i don't know if that's still the case though.  one of the main threats of artillery to tanks was that a nearby shell would hit ground under the tank, and the kinetic energy would flip it over, or take out the treads, or at the very least create a hole that the tank might get stuck in.
d'oh, didnt mean to put arty under f-kill there
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

could "t - sensors" (shows max sensor range) be made to work without cheat mode?
also, could the graphic used be turned into a simple coloured line. the current visual for it is a bit mean to the gfx card.
BUMMER
New user

Post by BUMMER »

Guys, please make in next version WarZone nuclear rocket, that they were started up as from shafts (Shafts as at NEXUS were)!?
Player1
Greenhorn

Post by Player1 »

1: Design your own defenses. Example: Start with basic bunker, then add whichever weapon you want to it. Basically, like designing a vehicle, but with defensive structures. It would be cool to have a repair tower with an extended range repair turret that could tend to you defenses and other base structures while you are away commanding your troops. :)
2: Settings for tech level in multiplayer games. You can specify which level, or tier, your technology starts off at. No more waiting around for the VTOLs or Rail Gun ;)
3: Include a chart of the tech tree accessible via the research tab, so you can look at past technologies. Also, a downloadable PDF file of the entire tech tree would be nice ;D
4: Not sure if its a bug, but it would be nice if the standard sensor would auto target enemies like a normal weapon when there are artillery units attached to it(I'm talking about vehicle sensor and vehicle artillery). Also, it would be nice to attache fixed(building) artillery to sensor vehicles.
5: Blind fire capability for artillery. Example: You select your artillery, then select a spot on the map as their target. They fire shells off into the general vacinity, but not with great accuracy, because they can't see what they are shooting at.
6: MORE MULTIPLAYER MAPS!!!!!
7: Ability to skip through the "movie" sequences, like when you get an incoming message, wait ten seconds, get the message, wait a bit more for it to end.
8: More than just ten control groups. I'd like to assign at least 2 dozen groups, if possible. if not, i'll settle for 15.
9: If possible, I'd like to see some original weapons included in the game, at least for multiplayer purposes. Mine fields would be nice, as would cruise missles. And to counter cruise missles, their would be a defense system, maybe like a anti missle laser or something, to shoot down incoming missles.
10: A sequel! Ok, not using the old engine. But I really like the gameplay, maybe some game designer will make something like Warzone 2100, using modern game engines/graphics/physics.
Player1
Greenhorn

Post by Player1 »

kage wrote: traditionally, any kind of artillery shell hitting the top of a tank was considered catastrophic. i don't know if that's still the case though.  one of the main threats of artillery to tanks was that a nearby shell would hit ground under the tank, and the kinetic energy would flip it over, or take out the treads, or at the very least create a hole that the tank might get stuck in.
Truth be told, indirect artillery fire almost never would hit a tank or other vehicle, although, as you say, when it does it can be quite devastating. Please keep in mind that most artillery fire at targets approximately 20 to 30 kilometers away, and the shell will never travel in a straight-as-a-arrow path, due to wind, gravity, and even the rotation of the Earth on its axis. Most modern tanks weigh in at about 50 to 60 metric tons, so it would be very difficult for even an 8 inch shell to flip a tank over even if it landed about a foot or two away from the sides/front/rear. That is not to say that artillery is ineffective against armoured vehicles, however. In fact, artillery is incredibly effective against armour, but it mostly depends upon the ammunition used against said armour. For example, one of the most effective anti tank weapons utilized by the current U.S.A army is the MLRS(Multiple Launch Rocket System). The MLRS is a tracked vehicle with a rocket laucher containing 12 227mm rockets. the rockets come pre-packanged in a box containing six rockets each. Each box almost looks like a box of cigarrettes with the rockets lined up in rows and columns. The boxes are loaded into the laucher and fired straight out of their tubes. The genius behind the rockets is that each can carry 644 miniturized bomblets or mines, each of which is fitted with a dual purpose anti armour HEAT warhead capable of punching through 4 inches/102mm of standard steel armor and produce lethal fragments to kill unprotected personnel in a 13 foot radius. The MLRS can launch all 12 rockets within a minute, and can effect an area target covering some 500 by 500 square meters/45 kilometers. The MLRS was used to DEVASTATING effect against Iraq during the first gulf war back in the late 80's early 90's. It was designed to suppress, neutralize, or destroy hostile fire support/artillery, mechanized units, armored formations, and air defenses. So yes artillery can kill even the most powerful tanks, but not when firing standard high explosive/fragmenting shell ammunition.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

psychopompos wrote: could "t - sensors" (shows max sensor range) be made to work without cheat mode?
also, could the graphic used be turned into a simple coloured line. the current visual for it is a bit mean to the gfx card.
That is probably the reason it is a cheat ;)

You thinking of something like how Supreme Commander does it ?  (But that whole game is 'mean' to gfx card, and that is OK with me :D)
and it ends here.
Sonsalt
Trained
Trained

Post by Sonsalt »

Lately I came across some issue, that might fit in here.

I would like to have an option that allows me to enable/disable joint research with my teammate.

The reason is, that many mods like NTW cause problems with the research tree, and bugs like CAM1RESEARCH boxes appear in the research bar. Also the research tree gets mixed up.

therefore it would be great to have an option in skirmish and MP that allows me to sync research or not.