Models by MaNGusT (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
nick87720z
Trained
Trained

Re: Models by MaNGusT (AR)

Post by nick87720z »

@MaNGusT, Do you preserve original full-poly models?
Could be useful not only in cutscenes if wz will get geometry LOD. I remember at least one example from fps when low poly convertiplane was used for distant aerial battle show.
Those, who sacrifice culture for bit of freedom don't diserve any.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

It's sad but I do them the way they can't be used even for cutscenes( they are too unoptimized for rendering - too much polys. My workflow is so that I save time on everything. So they are good to bake smooth geometry into texture but it takes about 2-3 minutes for one frame(hope my next CPU will do it better).
On the other hand, I could lower "smooth" iterations to get compromise between quality and performance. So, my answer is YES, I save all my models.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Very good progress MaNGusT :)
Regarding the different textures in different tilesets, adding more masks will increase the GPU memory requirements of course, and could also limit the kind of things you could do. Creating three separate sets of textures has no impact on performance and it's the easiest and most flexible option for now, since climate and stuff is static anyway. Masks could be cool if there was stuff like snow/dust storms dynamically altering the texture.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Jorzi wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 18:21 Masks could be cool if there was stuff like snow/dust storms dynamically altering the texture.
At least we could use masks to introduce a simplest damage system. :)
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

It seems that we can not simply make 3 different texture sets for tilesets because it's hardcoded only to classic texpages (or I am missing something).
So, we need another way to specify textures for this or, as I mentioned before, use mask method to overlay sand and snow ontop of textures specified in pie file.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Made high-poly model with basic coloring.
Untitled.png
nick87720z
Trained
Trained

Post by nick87720z »

That's even better than steel tower :)
++ Trying to imagine unit's 3rd person camera with wzmini and soldier (or brainwashed scav soldier). This crane should be very tall in his eyes :D
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Guys, I'm stuck. I don't know what it is... in stats it's named as WreckedDroidHub. I don't see any details here that I could repeat so... the easiest solution will be replace it by new model. I could replace it by destroyed truck body or new paradigm's destroyed body(this model can be found in one of the late missions in alpha campaign), or even by a completely new body model. Any ideas?
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (194.66 KiB) Viewed 274426 times
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Honestly, the details look like something that would fit the background of a old space based game. I'd say it's a destroyed vehicle body. Burnt, wiring/circuitry exposed, holes, rust, and whatever else. It appears mostly in Beta maps, a couple of Alpha maps, and three skirmish maps. As such, you'd be better off creating a new gnarled body model.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I have always assumed it's a wrecked panther body. Could be cobra as well.
Crane model looks good, but all the cranes I have seen actually have the swivel joint at the top, close to the cabin https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a7/93/bd/a793 ... 269c06.jpg The original model is obviously simplified in this case, so I think a small deviation is in order.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
nick87720z
Trained
Trained

Post by nick87720z »

Pobably variants with split rope-connected arm did not survive - ropes either broke on nuke or weakened enough to not stand nuclear winter. Though would be interesting, how does fold variant with monolyth arm.
Steambabbage
New user

Post by Steambabbage »

MaNGusT wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 11:59 warehouse. wip :-)
Untitled.png
Old steam era to WW2 industrial buildings had glass skylights to let lots of light into the workshops.
I suspects that is what those rectangles on the roof are meant to be.

Great artwork by the way, been using it for a day on my Raspberry Pi4 with 3.4.
You got me hooked, I compiled WMIT and started converting and porting in Blender for Artists on my Pi4.
nick87720z
Trained
Trained

Post by nick87720z »

MaNGusT wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 12:52
Slye_Fox wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 11:38Interesting roof shape.
Yeah, trying to improvise when can't google pics for reference. Also, original model hides some interesting details visible only at right view angle, I talk about boxes of ventilation system.

UPD: I'm always open to new ideas. That's why I post work-in-progress first.
In triangle version - ventilation box just could be inside, to be harder to steal. Then visible surface is just vent grate.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Jorzi wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 08:53I have always assumed it's a wrecked panther body. Could be cobra as well.
panther body is about twice smaller than this model. :)
UPD: I was wrong.
Last edited by MaNGusT on 05 Jul 2020, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Let's make the fog great again :D
Untitled.png