Beta 5 Mission

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
beren6
New user

Beta 5 Mission

Post by beren6 »

Hello All:

Bit of a noob at this, but I've made my way to the Beta 5 mission, where I seem to be completely stuck. The main problem seems to be the Nexus ripple rockets, which seem to have longer range than anything I've got, so I can't get either units or mortar pits in place to take anything out. Consequently, I can't seem to get anything close enough to the Nexus base without having most of my units massacred in short order. Any advice would be welcome!
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: Beta 5 Mission

Post by aubergine »

See if these help: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8340
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Stratadrake
Trained
Trained

Post by Stratadrake »

Beta 5 is your first experience with enemy Ripple Rockets, and without access to VTOL tech yet there isn't particularly much you can do to defend against them.

Broadly speaking, make your way across the map slowly, destroying absolutely every Collective anything you come across - sensor, hardpoint, bunker, doesn't matter (due to a bug in the 3.x series pretty much ANY enemy unit or structure can paint you as an artillery target). Light and Medium units probably won't stand a chance against Ripples, so make sure to have some Heavy chassis units at the front of your assault group to soak up the rockets - bonus points for skilled units (or a skilled Command unit leading them). Make sure to retreat at heavy damage (if not medium) and build Repair Facilities anywhere that isn't in enemy sensor coverage to keep the repair trips short. Ripple Rockets reload very slowly, so take advantage of this to keep pressing the assault.

The good news is that this enemy airbase is where you get Ripple Rocket (and VTOL) tech; Ripple Rockets make excellent CB artillery, and the Collective's AA flak tech is inferior to yours (heavy VTOL's are good as immune to it for a few missions).
Strata @dA, @FAC
o0hshift
Rookie
Rookie

Post by o0hshift »

i produce 70 tank lancer python track and attack direct enemy base.
with hard difficult :D

i dont found the best strategy for this mission. only way: "many many tank"
SexViperWheels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SexViperWheels »

I went with a barrage of heavy units on hovers. A few heavy cannons to soak up the ripple rockets, a couple lancers to take out any stray collective tanks, and about 20-25 mini rocket artillery tanks to instantly destroy all 3 ripples as well as EVERYTHING else in the base. MRA turrets are underrated man, they cut down so much time needed to blow up bunkers and base structures with things like MGs, cannons and lancers. Bunker busters can do this as well, but MRA is actually decent against tanks and a mass of them can nuke a small group of heavy tracks almost instantly.
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

The best way is to move your experience units on a save point-dont forget the AA...then build 60 lancer python hovers-not tracks. Overrun the enemy base-not a very esthetic way for this mission....but 100 %. Sorry for my english. Tracks? to slow. Hoovers are better....Forget the bunker busters. The bunker busters are the most unnecessary weapon in the campaign. When you attack the enemy base with the mass of 60-70 hovers- the bunker busters will not have any effect against the enemy tracks....read the guide again and the walkthrough from "mousemaster" is for beginners very nice written.
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
SexViperWheels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SexViperWheels »

Mousemaster's guide is somewhat ineffective now, since its heavily outdated. Still, it's nice to use as a sort of map if you're stuck on a part, however his tactics aren't so much viable anymore.
Nexusintruderprogram
Greenhorn

Post by Nexusintruderprogram »

so meany good men lost to those dammed ripple rockets ;-;
marcmad
Trained
Trained

Post by marcmad »

You could just have your group of tracked mantis (and half-track python for canon), anything that has a speed of around 1 or more with a commander to charge in. They should be tanky enough to take vtol and ripple shots and fast enough to retreat for repair. I'd recommend a second group to cover the retreat of the first group if it has to run, possibly adding AA to that group or just use meat shield in them. That way you can push through without losing any tank. This work even on insane although at some point the whole 20 unit group might be going back for repair at the same time.

On the contrary, bombard are not tanky enough and do little damage to the enemy, making them essentially useless. Better just keep them out of the way for the level (and recycle them once you get ripple and howitzer.)
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

Beta 05 isn't actually as difficult as you might imagine and I have completed this mission in around 20 to 30 minuets on insane but it does require some prep before hands well as the right strategy

first off you are going to want to use your full allotment of 100 units for this mission because you are going to be taking an absolute hammering.

you should start the level with 2 squads of Lancer mantis tracks attached to an experience commander each squad should be 18 units for a total of 36 lancers and 2 commanders you will want 1 squad of 18 heavy machine-gunner mantis tracks attached to an experienced commander

all 3 commander should also be on tracks and using the mantis body while the mantis body isn't quite as heavily armoured as the python its a good deal faster and you are going to want to move fast and finally I would build a whole bunch of AA units I think when I did this level last I had 36 AA units

next outside your base where the Collective base was on beta 03 and the oil well is you are going to want to set up a repair station I usual set up about 6 repair bays spaced 2 tiles apart and I have all my units set to retreat at yellow damage

ok with the prep done lets start first thing I do is attach each squad to there respective commanders and then move them in to position I move the lancer and the AA units up to where the repair bays are and I move the machine-gunners just below them I send the machine-gunners in to enemy base that is located to the north west of your base the one that has the cyborg factory and the command centre and I send the lancers just to the north of it to take out the tanks and I'll have the AA units follow behind the the lancers to stop there VTOLs

once the first base is down I'll send the machine-gunners to where the second oil well is where the second collective base was on Beta 03 the one that is to the far north of your base because the collective will send a builder up there to try and claim the oil well and will build a whole bunch of turrets which is and additional annoyance we don't need to deal with so send your machine-gunners up there to intercept

with that done switch focus to your lancers you are going to want to move north to the very top of the screen and then head west and destroy the collective tank factories then head south and take out there tanks and there command centre this will limit what they can hit will there artillery once you have finally wiped out all there tanks retreat for repair and switch back to your machine-gunners and have them move in to position to assault the enemy base trash there front door and breach there base move quickly to the back of there base and knock out the VTOL factories and the artillery and then proceed to mop up and collect all the artefacts you will want to leave a single vtol landing pad standing to stop the level ending

retreat for repair and get your self organised at this point you should have about an hour left and you can recycle your army and upgrade units as required as well as building VTOL factories and landing pads then use the vtols to take out any remaining collective tanks in the south so long as your units don't pass the trigger point that is just south of the collectives main base is this event wont triggers which means you can kill all the collective tanks with vtols before triggering this event

with the collective presence wiped out save for the single landing pad that you left in there base you are now free to research and start building defences in preparation for the end of Beta Campaign
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

holy necro batman! ;p
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

lol yeah just a bit but if it helps some folk with the level then ... meh