Someone made the game available on Steam.

Website issues & feedback. Constructive criticism is welcome.
(Guest posting is allowed under certain circumstances)
If you have a problem with certain individuals, then PM the Staff account.
raf2486
New user

Someone made the game available on Steam.

Post by raf2486 »

Someone made the game available on Steam. And I would hate to see them take credit for all of our community's hard work testing, modifying, and continuing to develop the game. Does anyone know if this was approved in any way by the community?
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Someone made the game available on Steam.

Post by pastdue »

raf2486 wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 02:38 Someone made the game available on Steam. And I would hate to see them take credit for all of our community's hard work testing, modifying, and continuing to develop the game. Does anyone know if this was approved in any way by the community?
Unfortunately, that basically appears to be what has happened. This is not associated with any of the developers, the community, the Warzone 2100 Project, or wz2100.net.

A number of concerns were raised with the individual behind this (prior to its publication) that have not been addressed. Beyond the fact that the game was / is not yet ready to be published on Steam (due to bugs that still need fixing), which is why the actual development team has not done it yet, this Windows-only Steam release was packaged incorrectly and actually has some broken functionality. (So, unfortunately, we can't even necessarily help people who encounter issues with the Steam upload.)

In short: please encourage folks to download directly from wz2100.net / GitHub / SourceForge.
matthewfarmery
Trained
Trained

Post by matthewfarmery »

I posted a couple of times in the steam WZ forum and linked to this post. Some people seem to be having issues saving with the steam version. I was surprised to see it on steam. But I would agree, the game isn't ready to be on steam yet.

Edit

Got banned on the WZ steam forum, ban reason causing a drama, when all I said was, just because its open source, will the dev who uploaded it support the game or the guy named QWEEDDY2. who only interest was that the game was opensource.

Guess the dev wasn't keen on me highlighting the fact that that version is unsupported here on this forum, and if or when that version will get updated again.
opensource is one thing, but maintaining it and keeping it up to date is another. I suspect that the guy will just keep on using the source code you use. Well I tried to warn them, but clearly they dont want to listen.
Icetex
New user

Post by Icetex »

Ya, I did find a bit suspicious that all suddenly without warning it pop up on steam
and ofc 2 game outlet that reported on it didn't fact check if wasn't stolen
matthewfarmery
Trained
Trained

Post by matthewfarmery »

This guy who has uploaded WZ to steam, he / she hasn't said anything on if they will support the steam version, or even acknowledge that the version isn't supported by this community here.

The fact he just posted the source code for the game, gives me the sneaking suspicion he isn't going to support the game at all, and expecting other people to do it. Even though he is the only one who can update the steam version. This is going to get very messy, I suspect, and after a while people will starting looking for answers or maybe even start posting bug reports of the steam version.

This is going to get very messy for the devs here, if steam version bug reports start showing up. I do hope that the devs might find a way to combat this?

But still, the commander guy hasn't said anything really, so banning me seems to be just an excuse to stop me from telling the truth on that forum. Sooner or later people will find the truth the hard way.

But ultimately, I think it will be this project source code he will use, to update the game, that is IF he updates the game, which I suspect he might not.

Edit

My 24 hour ban is over, So I decided to post this
Its interesting that you banned me, after all I was just stating the obvious, and as well did try to post some helpful advice.

Still I have some questions, what are your plans for this game?
will you get other people involved in this version of the game?
Will you fix any of the numerous bugs that are still present in this build of the game? (and there are loads, including some commander bugs and AI bugs)

Another point is, you should at least create a sticky complimenting the project devs, and also state that this version of the game isn't supported or endorsed by them. it would save a lot of time for users who don't realise that the game isn't supported by the project devs, and don't bother posting any bug reports on the steam version on the WZ 2100 forum, because they will mostly say, what I've been saying above, and or the post gets deleted, or told to use their version of the game instead.

But if you aren't going to support the game, IE add new features, will you just wait until the project devs upload a new build, you grab it and then upload it to steam?

The thing to remember if the project devs wanted the game on steam, they would have done so already, but in their words, this game isn't ready for a steam release.

So Your going to ban me again for posting this? or you going to try and answer?
I will be very interested in what kind of response this brings? or if I will end up getting banned again. I think he should at least do a sticky to inform people that the steam version can't get any support from here. But anyway, I do suspect he will just ban me again and delete the post, if that happens, then I have another answer. And just unsure what his motives are? especially if he doesn't really intend to support the game, or more likely, just pull the source code and compile and upload whenever you do a new build.

I did ask valid questions, and deserve valid answers. Will wait and see what kind of response I get.
Ricochu
New user

Post by Ricochu »

pastdue wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 15:31 Beyond the fact that the game was / is not yet ready to be published on Steam (due to bugs that still need fixing), which is why the actual development team has not done it yet
I must respectfully disagree, by not uploading it the community has left the space open for someone else to legally upload in their own name rather than in the name of the community. There are many games on steam in far worse state than Warzone 2100 being sold, being free and a community game it should be up there both to make it easier for people to discover and to help encourage more people to join the community and help.

Tux racer has done this as have other open source games with success.

May I suggest you guys lodge a complaint to steam and also do your own upload with both mac and linux versions included.
matthewfarmery
Trained
Trained

Post by matthewfarmery »

Ricochu wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 06:26
pastdue wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 15:31 Beyond the fact that the game was / is not yet ready to be published on Steam (due to bugs that still need fixing), which is why the actual development team has not done it yet
I must respectfully disagree, by not uploading it the community has left the space open for someone else to legally upload in their own name rather than in the name of the community. There are many games on steam in far worse state than Warzone 2100 being sold, being free and a community game it should be up there both to make it easier for people to discover and to help encourage more people to join the community and help.

Tux racer has done this as have other open source games with success.

May I suggest you guys lodge a complaint to steam and also do your own upload with both mac and linux versions included.
While that might be a valid point IF the guy was going to actively work on the game, provide a bug tracking sub forum. and been more active on the forum in general. But from what I have seen so far, he is just been a lazy dev. Someone else mentioned that the commander guy did not compile the version himself. And the way he has deleted posts criticising the version on steam, leads me to believe, and I'm sure I'm not alone. He just leaching from other people's hard work. And he will simply wait until the devs on the WZ2100 community upload a new version, it gets forked and then uploaded on steam.

Also if he does add stuff like steam workshop support, then that would go against the license that the game is under. If he is aware of that, I don't know.

So far, this release on steam has had a few problems, but the commander isn't supporting the game at all. So in that respect, that makes your comment a bit null and void. Unless I see more done to the game, from him, then I might change my mind. But the way he has deleted my posts, clearly is quite telling.
raf2486
New user

Post by raf2486 »

The release of this game to Steam does not include the GNU GPL or any EULA and contains a credit to "Underdone Gaming" as the publisher, and thus violates the GNU GPL.
matthewfarmery
Trained
Trained

Post by matthewfarmery »

Then that is a good reason for the WZ2100 devs to contact steam to request that the game is removed from steam. as that does sound like a very serious violation .

I would also also urge to be cautious posting on that forum, its very likely that the commander might delete your posts, like he did with mine. So if you see your posts vanish that is why. Maybe it will be a good idea for the WZ2100 to act on this? and see if this release can be removed.
raf2486
New user

Post by raf2486 »

Well, I have now also been temporarily banned from the community forum on Steam.
-------

You have been banned from Warzone 2100 Community Hub by a Warzone 2100 developer for your post in "Source code":
Originally posted by The Commander:
Originally posted by getrsj:
The release of this game to Steam does not include the GNU GPL or any EULA and contains a credit to "Underdone Gaming" as the publisher, and thus violates the GNU GPL. Just because it is free and open does not mean you can republish it as your own.
All documents and credit to other people that have worked on the project are contained in.
"(SteamInstallDir)

Ban Reason:
Drama

While this ban is active, you will not be able to post or comment in the Warzone 2100 Community Hub or upload new content to this community hub.

If you believe this ban was issued by mistake, please contact Steam Support.

This ban will expire on May 10 @ 7:25pm. Until then, you will not be able to post in Warzone 2100 Community Hub.
matthewfarmery
Trained
Trained

Post by matthewfarmery »

Sadly, I'm not surprised. The commander really has a short fuse, and not open to criticism. But he not doing himself any favours either.

Unless there is a takedown, I dont know what else to suggest or do?