HELP. I want to translate WZ2100 into another language, both spoken and written.

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Doruletz
Trained
Trained

HELP. I want to translate WZ2100 into another language, both spoken and written.

Post by Doruletz »

HELP.

I want to create a MOD.
Basically, I want to translate the whole Warzone 2100 game into another language, both the spoken and the written parts.
Meaning the game will post all TEXT in that new language, also all spoken instructions, such as "CONSTRUCTION COMPLETED" will be in that new language as well.
And I want to apply the translation to the "sequences.wz" as well.

Can you guys tell me where to start, exactly what files need to be modified, and how?

Last, but not least, will specific characters (we call them DIACRITICS) be properly displayed?
The language is Romanian, and those specific characters (which to my knowledge, are not UNICODE), are:

ș,Ș, ț,Ț, ă,Ă, î,Î, â,Â
What do I think about Window$ ??? Just see my AVATAR...
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: HELP. I want to translate WZ2100 into another language, both spoken and written.

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

For text translations see the link in this post. There you can contribute to improving the existing translation in your language(s) for upcoming releases.
Doruletz
Trained
Trained

Re: HELP. I want to translate WZ2100 into another language, both spoken and written.

Post by Doruletz »

Berserk Cyborg wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 05:53 For text translations see the link in this post. There you can contribute to improving the existing translation in your language(s) for upcoming releases.
Thanks, I just applied to contribute to Romanian Translation...
But you did not help with my question, I would appreciate it if you could give me some pointers...
What do I think about Window$ ??? Just see my AVATAR...
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

Text, as mentioned above, is fairly easy and we have a system set up for that.

In regards to audio and the video sequences, the issue is unfortunately more complex:

1. We only have the original audio files / video sequences that were open-sourced.

2. These files are final rendered / mixed audio & video files.

The audio files are located in data/base/audio.

- For audio files that are just voice, those could be re-recorded in a new language fairly easily. (Although we'd probably want to best replicate the original style as is possible.)
- For sound effects, they can obviously remain the same.
- For any audio files that mix voice and other sounds, an attempt would have to be made to filter the audio for just the background sounds & layer on new vocals, or to re-create the background sounds.

3. Beyond what's in the data/base/audio folder, we do not have any other original assets. If some of those audio files mix voice & other sounds, we don't have separate tracks available.

The video sequences obviously much more overtly mix voice with background audio / sound effects. An attempt would have to be made to extract the non-voice part of the track and then layer on new vocals.

If anyone succeeds at extracting the non-vocal parts of any of those tracks, *please* post them separately so others can utilize them in future attempts.

EDIT: It should also be possible to extract the original audio files (in the original formats) and put them somewhere. Might be useful for trying to filter vocals out of the video sequence audio, instead of dealing with the (slightly) compressed audio in the sequences.wz.