Adding another type of resource other than oil - water

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Adding another type of resource other than oil - water

Post by MIH-XTC »

In most other RTS games, they have more than one source of "resources" or things to harvest and I think Warzone would benefit from that. I thought about alternative power sources other than oil but realistically there's probably enough oil to power everything in a post apocalyptic world and no need to diversify or go green lol. However, we would need water though...

Keeping this simple, we could have water resources or geysers (preferably near water textures on the map) that would simply provide water.

The analog of the derrick/generator combo would be a purifier/storage combo for water.

The amount of water would be a blue bar exactly like the yellow power bar.

The implications of water going below a certain threshold would slowly bring all base structures offline e.g. research, factories and generators

Each base structure (and possibly droids) would have a cost associated with it that determines how much total water is consumed.

If completely out of water, then no research, power generators or factories would function except for allowing 1 truck to recover.

Good idea or no?
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: Adding another type of resource other than oil - water

Post by Forgon »

I don't think that's a good idea.
One of the things that make Warzone 2100 special is that players do not
need to balance different resources and can focus on blowing stuff up.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Forgon wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 21:10 I don't think that's a good idea.
One of the things that make Warzone 2100 special is that players do not
need to balance different resources and can focus on blowing stuff up.
This is true. Although adding another type of resource can be strategical it can also be distracting and detracting from other features. Especially, if the additional resource is essential and cannot be ignored like water supply.

If the additional resource was to be less essential, with less impact, making it optional and arriving mid-late game... then maybe it would strike a fine balance between being strategic but not distracting. Hmmmmm... I need to fabricate a different story plot other than water then lol.
Guardsman Brendo
Trained
Trained

Post by Guardsman Brendo »

Maybe coolant for the Nuclear Reactor? I always wanted that to be useful, providing a slow but constant supply of power in emergencies.

Edit: I also wanted to mention my Area 52 map gives Player 1 a Reactor and 2 cooling towers, just for show though. I thought they might look better than the normal generator in an urban environment.
--As of the above time, this was the last transmission received.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Guardsman Brendo wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 21:47 Edit: I also wanted to mention my Area 52 map gives Player 1 a Reactor and 2 cooling towers, just for show though. I thought they might look better than the normal generator in an urban environment.
There is no limit to the structures you can design.
Calling them features is less hassle then trying to add code to the game to make them work.
Make your desired models/structures and add them as features.