Warzone2100 4.0.0 Design from scratch for future processors.

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Warzone2100 4.0.0 Design from scratch for future processors.

Post by moltengear »

In general, I came to the conclusion that the existing code on OpenGL should not be touched.
But it's better to design a new graphics engine using Vulcan api. New engine. Without the support of OpenGL.
Unity3d or Unrel Engine?
I tried the unity3d and the Unreal engine. Linear programming is much better suited for strategy games. Event programming and binding variables from different objects is just awful for me.

I also consider it as a waste of time to support OpenGLES. My personal opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvCD9FaTKCA
I believe that all future mobile graphics processors will support the vulcan api.
Already now we can define the design of the future 4th version.

Here are my some new ideas.
1) Animation
For realism: animation occurs under the influence of gravity.
Cyborgs sometimes come into hand-to-hand combat, something similar to the Warhammer 40000 game.
Also: bounce the body because of shells. (For this, we need to redesign the physics.)

2) Landscape
Increase the possible height of the landscape by 4 times.
Also make support for bridges (from concrete, iron or as part of a landscape)
Also add support for ball-shaped maps.
The game will be much more interesting.
To do this, we need to change the existing principle of building a landscape.

3) Multiplayer
Disadvantages, you can not see the number of all players.
Because of this, it seems that nobody is playing this game.
It is possible to add the analyst of the probable end of the battle. And the players would wait for the other players to create a new battle.
The mode of viewing the battle.
Many players sometimes like to be as spectators.
The data received by the first spectator immediately passes to the second viewer. Through the chain. The third viewer receives data from the second, and the second receives data from the first viewer. To reduce the network load.
It would be nice if there was an opportunity to leave an announcement to the player on the server. Something like "[The player's name] is planning to create a host at such time" Given that the players are few, we can improve the conditions for multiplayer in this way.
Add the ability to set the 3.1.5 mode for the creating host
I would also like to see how many rooms are already playing.
The start date of each battle. And count the elapsed time on the client side to not load the server.
It's also better that the host can not remove the player if it has a normal connection and does not make any messages.
It's also good if someone out of the game, AI starts to manage his army.
This is the least evil! When a player solves the problems of connecting or crashing the program, he can again take the army under his control during the game.
Also, if someone created a room, but there are no other rooms, then a beep sounds. And the situation that it is very uncomfortable now.
It would be nice to make it possible for players to send a message to the server. Ideas for development.

4) Multithreaded programming.
The maximum load of 32 threads.
Increase the number of players to 16.

5) Record the battle.
This will facilitate the development and correction of errors.
Also the player, if in doubt, can make a cheating check. Since anti-cleaning is expensive in real time.

6) benchmark

7) Editor

8] Interface
A group of units can consist of different types.
And when selecting with the mouse, there is no way to select only one type or exclude from the group. A quick click of the left button highlights all visible on the screen, But it can be inconvenient. Because there is an unwanted capture.

Perhaps all this will help to make the release of a sequel under the name "MartianZone2200". For example.

I would like you not to focus on the difficulty of accomplishment. Allow yourself to include the imagination
Last edited by moltengear on 22 May 2018, 12:37, edited 6 times in total.
WZ2100ModsFAn
Trained
Trained

Re: Warzone2100 4.0.0 Design from scratch for future process

Post by WZ2100ModsFAn »

moltengear wrote:Perhaps all this will help to make the release of a sequel under the name "MartianZone2200". For example.

I would like you not to focus on the difficulty of accomplishment. Allow yourself to include the imagination
i think the sequel would be called total warzone

Goth zagog though is currently working on it

see thread
forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?t=8160&p=89458
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

Are you sure that you linked the right thread? The last post in this thread is 6 1/2 years old.
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

https://moltengl.com/moltenvk/

Here is the news! If anyone does not know! :)
Guardsman Brendo
Trained
Trained

Post by Guardsman Brendo »

moltengear wrote:Cyborgs sometimes come into hand-to-hand combat, something similar to the Warhammer 40000 game.
I play WH 40k and think of this as an interesting element. It could allow small teams of cyborgs to 'lock down' some things like tanks in combat. Kinda increases the need for cyborgs to me. Right now, cyborgs are too easily defeated for me to make their use commonplace outside of tactical situations.
--As of the above time, this was the last transmission received.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

I play WH 40k and think of this as an interesting element. It could allow small teams of cyborgs to 'lock down' some things like tanks in combat. Kinda increases the need for cyborgs to me. Right now, cyborgs are too easily defeated for me to make their use commonplace outside of tactical situations.
The issue I have with the use of cyborgs is that they are simply to lightly armoured, the rate of fire on there weapons is to slow, not to mention the fact that cyborg weapons lack stopping power, even the lancer cyborgs which are supposed to be anti armour units are pathetically weak.

Then of course you have a total lack of choice when it comes to equipping your cyborgs on alpha 12 you have 13 weapons to choose from for your tanks yet you only get 4 types of cyborg this really needs sorting out as well, to be honest I'm of the opinion that I should be able to design cyborgs in unit design screen like I can with tanks so that I can equip them with any of the 13 weapons I have access to on alpha 12, I'm also of the opinion that there should be light medium and heavy cyborg bodies because by the time you get to alpha 09 you will have access to light, medium and heavy tank bodies so i see no reason you shouldn't have light, medium and heavy cyborg bodies also, i mean I know that this was never in the game originally so would require a bit of messing about to implement but it really would make cyborgs so much more useful if i could design and build cyborgs that are comparable to my tanks in terms of firepower, armour and health.

it would also be helpful if i could equip cyborgs with a scanner attachment, a build attachment, a repair attachment or a commander attachment, which again would help to make cyborgs more useful.

I remember trying out Cyborgs on Alpha 12, as a possible alternative to using tanks because cyborgs are less prone to pathing issues and pathing is a real problem on Alpha 12 for all land based tanks because you have so little room to manoeuvrer and heavy body tanks take up to much space which invariably causes traffic jams, but i didn't last 10 seconds there initial rush attack crushed my landing force and I got completely slaughtered.

They did a bit better when i applied the double up cheat, which doubled there armour and firepower, and at that point a squad of 32 cyborgs was able to successfully face off against new paradigm tanks, but even then I was still loosing units left right and centre despite having them set to retreat at medium damage to give them enough time to fall back for repair, realistically for cyborgs to be any use what so ever at least in campaign mode at any rate, they need there values tweaking because they are too easy to kill and don't inflict damage fast enough, and are little more than any annoyance.

Which effectively renders the whole plot line of acquiring cyborg tech pointless, since cyborgs are completely irrelevant and totally useless as combat units, so they are basically never used at least in campaign mode anyway multiplayer now that's a different story but of course both have different balances anyway.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I agree that underpowered cyborgs are pretty much a plot hole in the Campaign. The Synaptic Link is described as one of the crucial technologies, yet the only visible result of it is that it allows the useless cyborg production.

I don't think it needs to be fixed by adding new sub-systems into the game. It's simply a matter of balancing stats, which we may or may not do depending on how much do we want to alter the campaign (i'd rather not). Cyborgs are powerful in multiplayer and occupy an important well-defined niche there.
Guardsman Brendo
Trained
Trained

The weakness of a cyborg could be a reason to implement a WH40k approach to cyborgs, so I have an idea. In 40k, when a unit enters the assault phase of a game, it can't be affected by other units(such as you can't shoot into a melee engagement.) I suggest that if cyborgs get within a close distance of say... .2 tiles away from an enemy unit, it deals some sort of damage to it, depending on the kind of vehicle and the two are locked in place. The enemy could do some sort of damage back, but tanks are rather hard to maneuver, so this could be represented by damage to the cyborg that is balanced relative to its health, including kinetic armor buffs. Flamer cyborgs/weapons could have an advantage when running in, and normal cyborgs could deal the same damage stats to each other. Also, other units could be added to the fray to take down big stuff. However, the lock on vehicles and such wouldn't be logical if it were permanent. Though normal units might have restrictions on shooting in, if splash weapons such as mortars or artillery were fired in, both targets would be damaged. There could also be a .1 or so chance rolled every second to check if the enemy unit could get out of the engagement. If cyborgs were implemented in this way, I would use them, and likely in the numbers suggested by the in game videos.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

to be honest to me it sounds like you are overly complicating things the only real problem with cyborgs at least as far as campaign mode goes is that they are to weak but that's simply a matter of balancing and the other changes i suggested are more quality of life improvements to make using cyborgs a worth while endeavour because if cyborgs where comparable to tanks and could be equipped with all the same weapons and equipment then on levels like alpha 12 where you don't have a lot of room to manoeuvre cyborgs would be a viable choice which they aren't right now

certainly builder cyborgs would be a real boon because they are smaller and there for less prone to getting stuck so when i order multiple builder cyborgs to work on a building i wouldn't be ending up with the situation you get when ordering multiple builder vehicles to work on a building where maybe 2 are working but the other 2 cant get close enough due to pathing issues.

it also makes far more sense to lead a squad of cyborgs with a cyborg commander rather than a command tank

same thing applies with repair cyborgs due to being smaller they would have an easier time getting in amongst your units then a repair tank would which makes keeping your units up in the field some what easier.

scout cyborgs would also be helpful acting as spotters since they can go where vehicles can't

as for letting cyborgs equip any weapon you currently know how to build well that's just common sense if you want to make them viable combat units, if anything i would expect that cyborgs would have some weapons and equipment that tanks can't equip like hand grenades for example

just like the ones you get in command and conquer you could even add cyborg jetpacks once you acquire vtol tech which again would add some interesting tactical options and really give you some flexibility just as the Allied Rocketeers do in red alert 2 if you didn't want to allow cyborgs to fly then you could just give them a jump jet ability much like what you see in dark crusade where they can jump short distances over what would otherwise be impassible terrain there are a few of the gamma levels where this would be quiet helpful

just a though but either way there is a lot of scope for improving cyborgs and making them every bit as indispensable as the plot would have you believe they are the only reason they are kind of useless now is because the cyborg concept was never fully developed, pumpkin probably just put them in there as an afterthought to pad out the campaign.
Guardsman Brendo
Trained
Trained

To my knowledge, jump cyborgs were a thing, but they were removed due to balancing. They were available before AA turrets were.
However, though I never got to the last mission yet, I looked at it in FlaME and it looks like there were some jump cyborgs placed in NEXUS' base.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

To my knowledge, jump cyborgs were a thing, but they were removed due to balancing. They were available before AA turrets were.
However, though I never got to the last mission yet, I looked at it in FlaME and it looks like there were some jump cyborgs placed in NEXUS' base.
oh ?? how interesting can't say i've ever seen them because they where never in the PS or PC versions and i should know because i have both and have beaten both and in fact i have been using v1.10 the last version released by pumpkin as a point of reference during testing to help identify things that are wrong.

humm... maybe it was a multiplayer only thing ?? or perhaps a fork ?? or maybe just a very early release like v1.0 or 1.01 or something like that perhaps ??
Guardsman Brendo
Trained
Trained

Honestly, I don't have too much knowledge of when they were in the game. Though I've played the game for a while, I havent played for as long as some of the vets out there. Maybe one of them could help us out on this?
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

Guardsman Brendo wrote:Honestly, I don't have too much knowledge of when they were in the game. Though I've played the game for a while, I havent played for as long as some of the vets out there. Maybe one of them could help us out on this?
Black Project included jump cyborgs in his nostalgia mod and described them in this forum thread:
Black Project wrote: [...] Cyborg Jump Pack: Cyborg that jumps, but only implemented in 1.11. If moving, only AA can shoot them. If you have dozens of HC Python Tracks and they spot about 10 Scourge Cyborgs moving, your tanks will be doomed to their deaths because they can't shoot them while the Jump Cyborgs are moving, only if they stop moving. Same apply to bases which have tons of defense but no AA stuff. Removed in 1.12 due to balance reasons.

Jump Cyborgs Available:

Jump Bunker Blaster
Jump Heavy Gunner
Jump Lancer
Jump Assault Gunner
Jump Needle Gunner
Jump Scourge
Jump Flashlight Gunner
[...]
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

illumination
At the moment, the company NVIDIA is developing a revolutionary solution for vulkan api. This development will also work on video cards from other manufacturers.
https://youtu.be/tjf-1BxpR9c

This is better than other ways of creating shadows at the moment. My opinion in the future this api will be increasingly implemented in the chip.
lamborgg
Greenhorn

Post by lamborgg »

if you recommend from scratch, maybe (while we are at it) we can design it to work on ps4? cause WZ2100 4.0 would probably be pretty big on ps4 :) :) :)
best of the best on: front-line/mid-line defenses. watch yourself out there