Yet Another Spectator Mod (now for 3.1+ too!)

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
NoQ
Special
Special

Yet Another Spectator Mod (now for 3.1+ too!)

Post by NoQ »

This mod allows spectator locations to "work" on certain maps.
This mod works on both warzone2100-2.3.9 and warzone2100-3.1_beta8, but the behaviour is different.
On 2.3.9:

That's what exactly this mod does:
  • Victory condition checks are disabled for spectators.
  • A command center and a satellite uplink center is spawned near the initial truck for spectators.
  • The initial truck is removed for spectators.
  • All players automatically report every research they completed to spectators. They also report their power level every time a research is completed.
How to use: All players are supposed to load this mod before starting the game. The mod is considered to be a "skirmish mod" (not "global mod" or "campaign mod").

Out of my maps, the following maps are already designed to work with this mod:
The mod reacts on players that start with exactly one truck (even though a few buildings are allowed). These players are considered to be spectators, because on most maps players start with at least 2 trucks.

Note for map makers: For the mod to get applied properly to your map, spectators should have at least a 5x5 square of buildable tiles around their initial truck (with truck being in the middle of the square). It is ok to put a few buildings for spectators (FlaME won't allow you to compile a map without every player having a command center; you might also want to give them a satlink so that spectator locations could work without any mods sometimes).

Known bugs: Normal players are aware of messages submitted to spectators and thus recieve a little bit of annoying noise in their console. Some research strings seem to be missing.

Technical: Since this issue remains unresolved, i decided to hard-code technology names inside the mod, and it turned out to be pretty ugly. Also, the mod will have to be re-done every time the tech tree changes. Don't even think of using it with master builds without re-working. Also, i'm not planning embedding this mod into maps yet, because i don't consider it to be stable, and i don't want to re-do tons of maps every time this mod is imporved.

On 3.1:

So far it just makes the game don't remove things at start for anybody who possesses a sat-link at start of the game. This way, it will work on any map where players have pre-placed satlinks iff they are supposed to spectate.

Note: don't use it in AI games, cause they will try to attack you (even NullBot, that doesn't care about things like command centers or satlinks, still cares about your truck that isn't removed yet).
Last edited by NoQ on 09 May 2012, 13:27, edited 15 times in total.
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Re: Yet Another Spectator Mod

Post by Reg312 »

Good work :)
every time i was tried to be spectator i was kicked :|
you could set spectators numbers from structures limits screen then mod can be applicable to any map
Normal players are aware of messages submitted to spectators and thus recieve a little bit of annoying noise in their console
normal players can see that other team researched?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

normal players can see that other team researched?
No, they just see what spectators know about them personally.
every time i was tried to be spectator i was kicked
Usually games where spectators are supposed to be present are pre-arranged, and spectators are recording a video; including spectators just for fun will produce more desync, so it's not allowed very often.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Updated to v1.01. I dirty-fixed the problem of duplicate power reports by binding power reports to technology reports.
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Yet Another Spectator Mod (now for 3.1+ too!)

Post by NoQ »

Updated to v1.02.

Added some very primary support for warzone2100-v3.1+. Right now it just makes the game don't remove things at start for anybody who possesses a sat-link at start of the game. This way, it will work on any map where players have pre-placed satlinks iff they are supposed to spectate.

The new version of this mod still works on 2.3.9, doing the same thing it did before.

Note: don't use it in games with AIs, cause they will try to attack spectators (even NullBot, that doesn't care about things like command centers or satlinks, still cares about your truck that isn't removed yet).

Note: since multiplayer is currently a bit broken on 3.1_beta8, this mod is close to useless; just a proof of concept, and hope that it will work on the next versions.

Note: this mod doesn't work on 3.1_beta7 or earlier.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

v1.03 - minor bugfix for the 3.1+ part of the mod: spectators no longer have advanced bases technologies pre-researched. This didn't affect anything but behaviour of JS AIs allied with a spectator (the AI couldn't do research because he knew his ally already has it researched, but the research wasn't shared for him either).
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

NoQ wrote:v1.03 - minor bugfix for the 3.1+ part of the mod: spectators no longer have advanced bases technologies pre-researched. This didn't affect anything but behaviour of JS AIs allied with a spectator (the AI couldn't do research because he knew his ally already has it researched, but the research wasn't shared for him either).
Hello NoQ, its an old topic, i know. But the topic is a current one.
In future i want to make all my maps with spectators. I understood almost everything above.
Is there any particular attention should be given?
Command center+only 1 truck + uplink center......check, thats clear.
Square 5x5 .....check.
So-all i have to do is to create a map. But how can i involve this mod automatically to the maps? Making a map-mod to say. The players should only download the maps and put the .wz archives in the map folder and not additionally in the mod folder. Is this possible?
Maybe i understand something wrong. Thanks for your help in advance. :)
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I wouldn't advice for maps with this mod to go to addons, as they would break too often with the new game versions. In any case, the mod most likely needs to be updated anyway. Not sure about the current status of map-mod bugs, will have a look when i have some free time.
montetank
Regular
Regular

Post by montetank »

NoQ wrote:I wouldn't advice for maps with this mod to go to addons, as they would break too often with the new game versions. In any case, the mod most likely needs to be updated anyway. Not sure about the current status of map-mod bugs, will have a look when i have some free time.
Oh-ok. Thx for the answer :3
In case the WZ-game ends in a draw , the game winner will be determined by penalty shoot-out.
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Re: Yet Another Spectator Mod (now for 3.3.0 too!)

Post by andrvaut »

Updated mod for 3.3.0.
The mod is based on the NoQ mod, modified by Phobos and updated for the 3.3.0 version by me.
  • As in the original, the structure of a player with a satellite is saved regardless of the starting settings.
  • All observer trucks are removed. (The observer loses)
  • Starting with 3.3.0, the best way to use it is to put the mod in the

Code: Select all

mods/autoload/
    and use the map with slots for the observer. (The observer must have a satellite and a HQ out of the reach of players. I recommend using "limits" for this when creating a map. Then players will not be able to mistakenly damage these buildings.)
Attention, map-mods from 3.1.x, 3.2.x and 3.3.0_beta1 will not work correctly in 3.3.0.
From these maps you need to remove

/multiplay/skirmish/rules.js
Attachments
spec_3_3_0.wz
(5.69 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Last edited by andrvaut on 06 Oct 2019, 14:06, edited 3 times in total.
vaut ΣΑ [GN], ru streamer.
Tournaments channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzusNa-54ydodtSz2TdHFww
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

andrvaut wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 12:59 Starting with 3.3.0, the best way to use it is to put the mod in the

mods/autoload/
Remember you have to completely remove all mods or have all other players with the same mod installed if you want to use multi player.
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

Berg wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 01:24
andrvaut wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 12:59 Starting with 3.3.0, the best way to use it is to put the mod in the

mods/autoload/
Remember you have to completely remove all mods or have all other players with the same mod installed if you want to use multi player.
No. In 3.2.x, the function of downloading mods from the host to clients has been added. And in 3.3.0 all errors are fixed. Now the mod will be downloaded to all players if it is enabled at the host.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

I never knew that downloading mods automatic from others without your permission or knowing is wrong in so many ways.
I actually feel this is a very bad addition.
I would like to be able to block this function.
Prot
Trained
Trained

Post by Prot »

Berg wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 00:47 I never knew that downloading mods automatic from others without your permission or knowing is wrong in so many ways.
I actually feel this is a very bad addition.
I would like to be able to block this function.
Actually the better way is add some kind of a mod-manager gui inside game, instead of blocking some mod downloading functionality
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

Berg wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 00:47 I would like to be able to block this function.
Downloading mods is no different than downloading maps.
You can simply not go into the rooms with the mod. That a mod is included in the room is visible in the lobby.