I hate mods. Especially map-mods.

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
bendib
Regular
Regular

I hate mods. Especially map-mods.

Post by bendib »

I really do hate them. Recently more and more are being hosted and it's getting harder to find a regular game at certain times of day. I end up seeing all the map titles in red. Used to be maybe one map mod was hosted a week.

I can deal with NTW and high oil. It's weird and unnatural to the game mechanics, but it's still the same tech and it can indeed be quite fun to just spam 150 tanks on flat concrete. Map-mods are different. It's a different tech tree and different weapons stats.
I hate them, especially the really elaborate ones. You know, with scav bodies, or two-headed cobra tanks etc.

Please, stop hosting and making map-mods. I saw another game I like, Scorched3D (which I rarely play) end up having most of its games in lobby be mods. It's near impossible to find a normal vanilla game. I'd hate to see the same happen to warzone.
Also known as Subsentient.
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: I hate mods. Especially map-mods.

Post by NoQ »

Well, i'd rather try to fix the real problem (ending up having most of games in lobby be NTW rather than vanilla) than the imaginary problem of people liking mods (they dont).
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

NoQ wrote:than the imaginary problem of people liking mods (they dont).
Then it should be easy for them to stop hosting the damn things. ;^)

I wish NTW wasn't as popular as it is, but I can live with it. NTW can be fun too, it just takes a bit of adaptation. I've seen many low oil players fall flat on their face in NTW game after game because strategy changes a bit in high oil.
Last edited by bendib on 05 Oct 2014, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I just wish high-oil games were highlighted in red...
crab_
Trained
Trained

Post by crab_ »

Hello.
I would say why i like NTW - beginner player can beat me in NTW but he needs much more learning to beat me at 'vanilla' maps :)
In NTW-style Games player has to learn just 'how to build units' - thats all :)

As for map-mods.
I like it, but it requires function which can make modder be able to show description of map-mod. Those descriptions is vital, because we do not like to download crab's 'stats editor' to see what was changed by map-mod.
Currently we have only short map name. where modder can write just 1-2 short words.

(sorry for my bad english)
Warzone2100 Guide - http://betaguide.wz2100.net/
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

crab_ wrote:Hello.
I would say why i like NTW - beginner player can beat me in NTW but he needs much more learning to beat me at 'vanilla' maps :)
In NTW-style Games player has to learn just 'how to build units' - thats all :)
(sorry for my bad english)
Your English is fine. With NTW micromanagement becomes less of a problem, but it's replaced with a requirement for multitasking and speed of construction/production. A fast build order is essential. I cannot keep up with building the defense and artillery on most high oil games. I often just research for my best cannons and hope that I can blow them to hell before they build too many ripples. It often works too.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

I know some maps with map-mod, but always wonder what exactly is different to a standard map. I look at these maps carefully but often can not find anything special. O_o