Anyone playing low oil, start with no base MP?

Discussions about AI types, units, tactics & strategy.
Prince Blueblood
Rookie
Rookie

Anyone playing low oil, start with no base MP?

Post by Prince Blueblood »

Umm, after thinking that I'm ready to do battle in MP, I'm somewhat disappointed by all available MP games... Oh well, start with huge base and a freak ton of oils... God... this is literally a unit spamfest into a chokepoint full of hardpoints, while at the back, howitzers and ripple rockets blasting all day long... :(

Not to mention on some map I actually see weird things on design menu, like Baa Baa Body or something... :(

Did anyone really play a "normal" map anyway?

(somehow I can't host game :( - how to open port 2100 on Windows 7 anyway)
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Re: Anyone playing low oil, start with no base MP?

Post by Iluvalar »

Due to an old bug that developers don't seem to care about, the only opening possible in the classic no base start is FFF which make games extremely boring after a while.

People start with base, turn scavenger, start in t2 or whatever to avoid the classic start because some of us developed the strat by now and it's impossible to win against us unless you know and apply the same trick.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

These crappy flat maps with 9000 oils were filling the mp ever since 1999, no idea why people like them, and it's clearly viral.

The reasonable way to find a good game is to stay in the chat (as mentioned on the front page) and arrange the game here (eg. ask for a particular kind of game, see if anybody replies); it's less active than the game lobby, but it's worth it because games will much more often turn out to be `good', and you get to know the people you play with.
Prince Blueblood
Rookie
Rookie

What is FFF opening anyway? Did this involve building a machinegun tower directly INSIDE your enemy's base? or Spamming factories near your enemy's camp to flood them with machinegun viper wheels? :?

And to avoid outright rush at the start, why not start in large map? or playing an FFA game?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Proxy factories are pointless because workers and tanks move at the same speed (both are light and wheeled); so they won't deliver tanks to the enemy any faster, unless you discover tracks or need to deliver upgraded tanks faster, or something like that.

Tower rushes aren't the biggest problem right now: due to the nerf of mg dps, you'd take plenty of time to bring down the base structures with mg towers, and enemy tanks would have enough time to just move around and wipe your derricks (which you cannot protect without a mobile army) and eventually your defenseless base; unless you actually have enough towers to prevent them from moving around.
Prince Blueblood
Rookie
Rookie

So what's the FFF opening anyway? I'm really confused right now :oops:
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

it stand for factory, factory and then factory. The first building you build in your base. But now I'm wondering with all that NoQ said. If he nerfed mg enough. The next OP thing might as well be a cannon rush. at which point i'm not sure what is the optimal opening...
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

Imo does often play online with low or medium oil, mainly against NullBot in team with other human players. :) When people join my game and tell me which map they like, I unfortunately can not change the map again without loosing all joined players. I have then to open the game again and all players must join again. :(
Prince Blueblood
Rookie
Rookie

uh well, just played my first real OL game and get really thrashed... :( :P :lol2:

wow... but where's the IRC channel? they said I should go there...
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Prince Blueblood
Rookie
Rookie

done, thanks :D

anyone in for low oil MP ?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Me. Today and tomorrow, european daytime (: