"Zoom out" increase (support Ultra High Definition)

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
IblisTheMage
Rookie
Rookie

"Zoom out" increase (support Ultra High Definition)

Post by IblisTheMage »

Hi,

UHD screens are getting very cheap, and graphics look awesome on them.

Wouldn't it be cool if Warzone was one of the first games that actually supported UHD?

The game starts up fine, but the problem is the zoom out distance. In order to have any advantage using the UHD (and to be able to play the game at all), it is necessary to be able to zoom further out.

I do not know if anyone see this as being a balancing issue as well. I hope not.

I posted a picture in the fun discussion area (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11659 ) but now I am realizing that it could be really cool to play on a UHD screen.

I have two cheap UHD screens at work, the 39'' Seiki, and the 50'' TCL. They cost 500 and 1000 USD respectively, I think they are even cheaper now. (We bought them to see if we could find any use for them :) Turns out they are cool for large Visio diagrams and the like).

In the fun post, it was mentioned that debug mode could zoom out further. I enabled debug mode, but did not figure out how. Also, I think it should be part of the non-debug-mode game in order to qualify as "UHD Ready" :-D

So, what do you think? Is it a good idea? Meh?
themac
Trained
Trained

Re: "Zoom out" increase (support Ultra High Definition)

Post by themac »

This won´t make you happy. With bigger screen sizes the menus become too small and - the biggest problem - the perspective distortion becomes terrible. I gave it a try with my Macbook retina screen, using 2560 x 1600 pixels on the 13 inch screen and it looks too ugly. :(
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

Do you have a screenshot of it? :)
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

IblisTheMage
Rookie
Rookie

Post by IblisTheMage »

I am quite sure I have a partial explanation.

In 93', me and my friend made a very primitive 3D engine, he coded, and I did the math. Oh those where the days... :-)

The distortion happens because the altitude of the observer becomes lower with higher resolution. Being closer to the geometry means that in order for the perspective drawing to be correct, the angles has to steeper (sorry for the lousy explanation, I am not nativen english speaker)
IblisTheMage
Rookie
Rookie

Post by IblisTheMage »

I am guessing that the altitude is an absolute variable, so that the variable'srange (zoom in-zoom out) does not change with resolution.
IblisTheMage
Rookie
Rookie

Post by IblisTheMage »

Sorry remembered another thing:
For me personally, the smaller UI is not an issue. The screen is 50'' at close range, so it is not significantly smaller at UHD than 1080p would be at 24''
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Having to move your mouse too much is probably more of an issue (with a scalable UI you could just boost sensitivity).
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Changing resolutions oughtn't really have any effect on the matrices used for the terrain (and perhaps not on the UI either, if it should scale too), only the aspect ratio should.