The End of the Warzone Build Orders Project

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Nameless
Trained
Trained

The End of the Warzone Build Orders Project

Post by Nameless »

As taken ad verbatim from the Warzone 2100 Build Orders website; warzone2100.zxq.net.
It is today with great sadness that I formerly announce my retirement from the Warzone 2100 Build Orders Project. While this came as no surprise to the few of you who may have paid attention to my efforts. It was simply time for us to part ways.

Unfortunately due to a lack of interest and other projects I'm involved in I've decided to focus my energies elsewhere.

Future updates, if any, shall continued be reflected herein and in the downloads soon to be available.

To all the developers both past, present and future; Thanks. Thanks for producing and maintaining such a great game.

While the future ahead of us is vast and unexplored, I wish to formerly declare my intentions so that others may take up the gauntlet in my stead. In the near future I will be releasing my documentation to the world and hope to see it bloom therein.

- Nameless, A Fellow Warzone Player.
Pretty much says it all. Although I'd like to add; someday I'd like to return, but today's just not that day =)

For those of you who wish know about copyright, both future and existing. I'm open to suggestions.. unless it has do with the GPL and other likewised licenses ;-)

I am currently considering releasing all of my documentation as Public Domain.
If you're reading this; you're awesome.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Re: The End of the Warzone Build Orders Project

Post by Rommel »

Thanks for your work, surprisingly this is the first time I heard of this project.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

Rommel wrote:Thanks for your work, surprisingly this is the first time I heard of this project.
I'm pretty sure there are many others, as is said in Nameless's quote (the lack of interest part).

No offense intended. :wink:
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.
ClockWork
Trained
Trained

Post by ClockWork »

Warzone Build Order Project? I can't say I've heard. Nonetheless, thank you :)
The Overlord
Trained
Trained

Post by The Overlord »

This is also the first time i've heard of this project. It seems interesting, but I can't see what he has done because the website just shows a blank page. :\
Starting builds are very important to competitive multiplayer and it would be great to discuss and look at the best build orders for certain types of maps.
Warzone 2100 is love, life.
Member of the BDC clan and adept at multiplayer battles. Feel free to PM me questions about multiplayer.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

Well, I read in this forums for years now, but this is the first time I have heard about your work. :? Thank you for the time you spend improving the Warzone game project. I still love it. :wink:
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

Lol..

Well thanks for the support guys. I guess it really was only aubergine, Rman Virgil and me that were the ones clued in.

In any case, one of the reasons why I've decided to abandon the project for now is the website itself; it's hosted by a rather popular 'free' website hosting company and unfortuntely it's prone to the occasional periods of downtime.

In addition, I didn't / just don't have the time or energy required for such a large project. All bits of the website (save the generator) will be released in the near future.. but I still have yet to hear a good suggestion on licensing.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I think this is an important contribution whose maintenance and continued development is a natural for crowd sourcing in a Wiki, as what already exists on this site here:

http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki

Or perhaps it's own wiki addy on the site like the New WZ Guide+:

http://betaguide.wz2100.net

Or at least, I think it's worth considering some such safe harbor for this valuable work.
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

Rman Virgil wrote:.
Or at least, I think it's worth considering some such safe harbor for this valuable work.
I would agree.

For those who may remain interested; the following links contain archives of the work I did prior to my absences. The archives both contain the raw text files I used for my Warzone 2100 Build Orders website as well as the raw LaTeX files I used for generating the walkthrough PDF that you can find elsewhere.
The url's provided link directly back to my dropbox account and as such any missing data or errors within the files themselves can be updated automagically.

*Fair warning; after a months time, I cannot guarantee the livelihood of said links. Be warned and download much.