add a research queue

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
andrew2scott2
Greenhorn

Re: add a research queue

Post by andrew2scott2 »

Make since. Wish i could help But I simple can't. I have hard enough time trying to run my own website useing wordpress. Let alone writeing code or moding stats.
But I'll trying to learn basic moding. But so far it a slow process.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

My last post was really just an attempt at an evolutionary snapshot encompasing the 15 year history of the game up to its present state. Wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. It's perfectly natural for peeps to do as per thier inclinations - or not. The whys and wherefores in either case are really personal perogatives and that's all there is to it. :)

On a related note...

I came to a game almost as old as WZ, for the first time, about a month ago. Besides playing the game, I immersed myself in its 14 year history, including what has been done by the fan community over that span to improve and keep it current. It never occured to me that over such a span of time anything major, or minor, would have been overlooked. That's just me. :3
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

And that game was...?
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Hesterax wrote:And that game was...?
Deus Ex...

Though I donot think the game itself is relevant to my point or this thread, I don't wanna be rude and ignore your question. That said, the game itself has become a major touchstone for me personally in my current WZ project. It was universally acknowledged a great game out of the gate 14 years ago and every year since to this day. A fate that has entirely escaped WZ for all its uniqueness as an RTS. However, I do believe there is greatness in WZ but that it resides squarely in what is yet to be full scope implemented from its original design genome; a promise yet to be fullfilled, in other words. :hmm:

Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

Despite Warzone 2100's uniqueness and innovation compared to other RTS games of its time and possibly even today, few people seem to realize it.
I have different versions of Warzone 2100, and though I have seen many changes at this rate it might take some time till we see something truly different (if you know what I mean).
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Hesterax wrote:Despite Warzone 2100's uniqueness and innovation compared to other RTS games of its time and possibly even today, few people seem to realize it.
I have different versions of Warzone 2100, and though I have seen many changes at this rate it might take some time till we see something truly different (if you know what I mean).
There are several pieces of work that have to be in place to have the means to take WZ to greatness. One of the biggest pieces has made tremendous strides to maturity in the last year or so but as end users we don't really see any difference. It can be very misleading. But when a couple other pieces advance, then all together the means will exist to make that quantum leap, so to speak, and bring to full term what Pumpkin was unable to 15 years ago. What's amazing to me is that the opportunity still exists and has not been ripped by another RTS. Then again they are sticking with thier own known formulas for making a buck and creating an RTS of WZs extant, base, complexity is just not economically viable these days, so that has much to do with those other integrated GP opportunities not having already been co-opted. In conjunction with the JS API, a critical mass will be reached, I think, when the original UI widgets scheme is entirely replaced and the game camera re-tooled. There's more, but that's the heart of the prime moving components that will provide the means to create / implement what will take the game to greatness. Again, easier said than done.
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

Rman Virgil wrote:
Hesterax wrote:Despite Warzone 2100's uniqueness and innovation compared to other RTS games of its time and possibly even today, few people seem to realize it.
There are several pieces of work that have to be in place to have the means to take WZ to greatness. One of the biggest pieces has made tremendous strides to maturity in the last year or so but as end users we don't really see any difference. It can be very misleading. But when a couple other pieces advance, then all together the means will exist to make that quantum leap, so to speak, and bring to full term what Pumpkin was unable to 15 years ago. What's amazing to me is that the opportunity still exists and has not been ripped by another RTS. Then again they are sticking with thier own known formulas for making a buck and creating an RTS of WZs extant, base, complexity is just not economically viable these days, so that has much to do with those other integrated GP opportunities not having already been co-opted. In conjunction with the JS API, a critical mass will be reached, I think, when the original UI widgets scheme is entirely replaced and the game camera re-tooled. There's more, but that's the heart of the prime moving components that will provide the means to create / implement what will take the game to greatness. Again, easier said than done.
The game has already reached maturity when it was released, all we are doing is improving it to the communities liking. The phrase "easier said than done" is not really to my liking, I believe that it is more on taking the advantage when the correct opportunities emerge,
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Rman Virgil wrote:...when the original UI widgets scheme is entirely replaced...
Fully Agree, a really slick UI system can open the doors to all kinds of things (including the OP mentioned research queue).
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Hesterax wrote:....
The game has already reached maturity when it was released, all we are doing is improving it to the communities liking.

The phrase "easier said than done" is not really to my liking, I believe that it is more on taking the advantage when the correct opportunities emerge,
Simply a statement not supported by all the facts, on that first sentence. In the sense that it worked well enough to ask peeps to pay 50 bucks for it upon release, it was mature enough. But that all its original design goals had been achieved at that point - then no, full maturity had (has) yet to be achieved. Pray tell, what is your basis for the statement ? Or is this just effusive semantics like your use of "we", having joined in Jan '14 and made a few posts of very modest substance. (Unless you have another, going back in the day, nick identity... then do step forward.)

As for the second statement - you still have to do something no matter how you arrive at the decision of what to do exactly, be it by reading tea leaves or triage or form-function design imperative or system dynamics complexity analysis or Agile or Scrum SW Dev MOs or whatever the modus operandi for deciding. And that is precisely the point of doing in OSS - manpower after the decision is made what to do. In the case of the original UI Widgets, it was recognized as an issue that would need redress at some point, shortly after source lib in '04. Other issues were prioritized ahead of it for various sound reasons.

Unlike my immersion in the 14 year history of "Deus Ex" after the fact, my history with WZ is actual in RT, intimate and ongoing since 1998 when I played the Demo Eidos was handing out at the E3 in Atlanta, Georgia. I don't say that to make any claims of being all knowing or infallible about anything WZ, for I know only too well I am neither in anything, no matter my depth of involvement or expertise, but rather just to say that by the same token when I speak to anything WZ its coming from a place far removed from my bowel movements.

I also donot consider anything WZ on the par of trying to solve {N vs. NP}. Which is to affirm, however WZ dev turns out, I can still do, as I'm inclined, to play the game in whatever manner it suits me. So while I'm here to share whatever may be of value (or not) as a result of my various experiences with the game, I would never presume to tell peeps what to do with thier own time, energy and talents vis-a-vis the game - or anything else. The forum affords me an opportunity to speak my peace in a responsible fashion, for which I'm grateful, but beyond that I have no expectations, even with what is already in motion. And while I enjoy brainstorming and speaking up as much as the next person, my real, deepest satisfaction comes from doing my little WZ projects, come what may - or not. That's my PoV in a nutshell. :hmm:
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

Rman Virgil wrote:
Hesterax wrote:....
The game has already reached maturity when it was released, all we are doing is improving it to the communities liking.

The phrase "easier said than done" is not really to my liking, I believe that it is more on taking the advantage when the correct opportunities emerge,
Simply a statement not supported by all the facts, on that first sentence. In the sense that it worked well enough to ask peeps to pay 50 bucks for it upon release, it was mature enough. But that all its original design goals had been achieved at that point - then no, full maturity had (has) yet to be achieved. Pray tell, what is your basis for the statement ? Or is this just effusive semantics like your use of "we", having joined in Jan '14 and made a few posts of very modest substance. (Unless you have another, going back in the day, nick identity... then do step forward.)

As for the second statement - you still have to do something no matter how you arrive at the decision of what to do exactly, be it by reading tea leaves or triage or form-function design imperative or system dynamics complexity analysis or Agile or Scrum SW Dev MOs or whatever the modus operandi for deciding. And that is precisely the point of doing in OSS - manpower after the decision is made what to do. In the case of the original UI Widgets, it was recognized as an issue that would need redress at some point, shortly after source lib in '04. Other issues were prioritized ahead of it for various sound reasons.

Unlike my immersion in the 14 year history of "Deus Ex" after the fact, my history with WZ is actual in RT, intimate and ongoing since 1998 when I played the Demo Eidos was handing out at the E3 in Atlanta, Georgia. I don't say that to make any claims of being all knowing or infallible about anything WZ, for I know only too well I am neither in anything, no matter my depth of involvement or expertise, but rather just to say that by the same token when I speak to anything WZ its coming from a place far removed from my bowel movements.

I also donot consider anything WZ on the par of trying to solve (N vs. NP).
First, I have joined in Jan 11 not 14. Second, what I meant from this statement was that this game was already mature when it was released by Edios Interactive due to the fact that all the goals (or at least most of them) had to be reached in order to be worth being bought. I repeat that all that we are doing is further improving the already mature game in order to reach new goals or the few that Edios Interactive has not reached.

Sorry for the fact that I cannot answer all of your questions (or arguments) as I don't have that much time.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Jan '14 != Jan 14
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Jan. '14 means Jan. 2014 abbreviated. Jan. 14 means the day. The " ' " makes all the diff. ;)

Pumpkin Studios, aka WZ Creators, were the designers of WZ..... Eidos were the distributors who payed the salaries of the team who designed and created the game (Pumpkin Studios) and compelled its release unfinished and finally ended its dev before it was finished because they were not making the money they wanted to make in the first quarter sales after release. Fact. I was there.

I too don't have time - for repeating myself. Nor do I have any questions about WZ that you can answer. You are really spinning your wheels as far as bringing any cred to the table with what you are saying. Your last post confirms this. Straight up, you really donot know what your talking about on a fundamental level. Gotta call that one.

Time spent on post: 3 minutes. Also, time to let it go.

Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

You're lucky that you have known this game for that long, I wasn't even born when it was released. :wink:
ClockWork
Trained
Trained

Post by ClockWork »

Off topic, Rman Virgil, are you some sort of god? Because every post you make is made of bewilderment, and beauty. It seems to me, every time you post, lies something so fascinating to read that I cannot stop until I have digested it all. Don't know why, but you have an architectural view about how you put words together.
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

ClockWork wrote:Off topic, Rman Virgil, are you some sort of god? Because every post you make is made of bewilderment, and beauty. It seems to me, every time you post, lies something so fascinating to read that I cannot stop until I have digested it all. Don't know why, but you have an architectural view about how you put words together.
Don't really need to say that this question is off topic, it already is off topic since the first page.