$250K donation drive for TA!

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

$250K donation drive for TA!

Post by vexed »

As reported by The Wall Street Journal, the sale of individual assets from the company’s US business includes the Atari brand, with bidding set to start on that at $15 million.

Court papers also revealed that the minimum bid for the RollerCoaster Tycoon IP is set at $3.5 million, while the company’s Test Drive franchise is up for $1.5 million.

Other IP up for sale includes the Total Annihilation franchise, which is up for $250,000, as well as Humongous, Fatty Pear’s Birthday Surprise and Math Gran Prix.
Wasn't a bad engine...
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Re: $250K donation drive for TA!

Post by Nameless »

In addition to seeking to sell those assets in the July auctions, Atari wants permission to sell certain games that are "of minor value" outside of the auction process.

"These assets have generated insufficient interest to be included in their own respective category," the company said.
I wonder what games "of minor value" would they be talking about? Pong? :D
If you're reading this; you're awesome.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

Well worth the price. Wonder is the old Cavedog crew will try and grab up the IP. Or perhaps the bunch making planetary annihilation.

Best case, someone buys it and releases the source under the GPL.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

TA surely has value as OSS. Don't see anyone dropping a quarter million to do that. Why not drop it on Spring instead ? Gift it to a Uni with a game dev curriculum for a write-off if they don't wanna OS it off the bat. Don't think the PA folk would drop the cash even for ol' times sake. Or Chris Taylor for that matter.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

If I had the cash, I would rather have the Roller Coaster Tycoon IP.
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

they tried this with homeworld kickstarter and they came up $850,000 short in the bid but they got their kickstarter funded and then had to refund everyone
that means you need to ask for $1 million at least
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:If I had the cash, I would rather have the Roller Coaster Tycoon IP.
How come, LA ? Mind you, I know nothing of Roller Coaster Tycoon from 1st hand experience...

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

RCT is still a rather well liked frachise. While it might not be the same without its creator (unless that is part of the auction price hehe).

A note about RCT1: It was written entirely in assembly. Hows that for programming!

Anyway, the franchise is highly regarded as THE theme park builder. 3 games in the series all with at least 2 expansions packs if i'm not mistaken. There have been several clones but none seem to have the flair RCT does. Even years after the release of RCT3 I still see it on the shelves of walmart and target going for between 19.99 and 29.99 depending on the version. The series has a good sales record and if given proper direction and a good dev team could continue to do well.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RollerCoas ... 8series%29
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

nobody buys retail anymore
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Yeah they do. If that statement was true there would be near zero shelf space for games. While online shopping at big retailers or steam may have put a dent in retail (store) sales to say that no one buys retail is absurd.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:RCT is still a rather well liked frachise. While it might not be the same without its creator (unless that is part of the auction price hehe).

A note about RCT1: It was written entirely in assembly. Hows that for programming!

Anyway, the franchise is highly regarded as THE theme park builder. 3 games in the series all with at least 2 expansions packs if i'm not mistaken. There have been several clones but none seem to have the flair RCT does. Even years after the release of RCT3 I still see it on the shelves of walmart and target going for between 19.99 and 29.99 depending on the version. The series has a good sales record and if given proper direction and a good dev team could continue to do well.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RollerCoas ... 8series%29
Strikes me as sound business sense. :) Maybe reloaded with 3D kinectics.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

As far as 3d is concerned.. do NOT play RCT3 drunk if you like the coaster cam. May loose your lunch that way :lol2:

If you haven't played RCT3 Rman I suggest borrowing a copy from someone or buying a copy. The fireworks designer and coaster cam made the game so much better than the first two. The best part IMO is that you can still import coasters in 3 developed for 1, though they may require a few tweaks to work properly.

Did you know that if you really want to stick it to the guests you can charge them to use the toilet?! Talk about cheap park director! :twisted: