dream of jetpack cyborgs now dead

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Originway
Trained
Trained

dream of jetpack cyborgs now dead

Post by Originway »

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: dream of jetpack cyborgs now dead

Post by Rman Virgil »

Originway wrote:https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... 62edea7497 :cry:
why remove it and not fix it?
Look foward to the answer to that question since a solution was offered last year to making the jump borg movement not silly-odd which was the only reason Pumpkin decided not to include them in the retail release or unlock them in subsequent patch releases. How do I know that, you wonder ? Simple, I asked 'em, couple months after retail release. :hmm: (Quote: "They look too much like hopping bunny rabbits. Silly.")

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Originway wrote:why remove it and not fix it?
Go right ahead. It is not hard to add it back. A bit harder to fix it, I'd guess.

When nobody has bothered to fix it in ~8 years, it is time to pull the plug.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

For the record, the threads where the specifics of a solution where discussed are linked below.

Please note the synergy of the issues of the first thread's solution linking up to the jump borg solution. Synergy and dependency, to be exact.

Many issues remain with other aspects of the game going back 14 years. Should they all therefore have the plug-pulled because the have yet to be resolved ?

What exactly is to be positively gained in this instance by following the course of pulling the plug ? (Sans rhetorical tautology.)

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10427&hilit=camera

http://hosted.zeh.com.br/mctween/animationtypes.html

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=10498&p=116260&hilit=jump+borgs

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Rman Virgil wrote:Many issues remain with other aspects of the game going back 14 years. Should they all therefore have the plug-pulled because the have yet to be resolved ?
If a part of the code remains unused and broken for many years, with no clear path toward fixing it, then it definitely should be removed in order to make the remaining code easier to maintain.

It is also no big deal. If anyone wants to fix it, adding it back is easy, and maybe it would be less work to re-implement the feature from scratch than fixing the existing code anyway.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Rman Virgil wrote:Many issues remain with other aspects of the game going back 14 years. Should they all therefore have the plug-pulled because they have yet to be resolved ?
Per wrote:If a part of the code remains unused and broken for many years, with no clear path toward fixing it, then it definitely should be removed in order to make the remaining code easier to maintain.

It is also no big deal. If anyone wants to fix it, adding it back is easy, and maybe it would be less work to re-implement the feature from scratch than fixing the existing code anyway.
Ok. I understand. Thank you. :3

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Per wrote:
Rman Virgil wrote:Many issues remain with other aspects of the game going back 14 years. Should they all therefore have the plug-pulled because the have yet to be resolved ?
If a part of the code remains unused and broken for many years, with no clear path toward fixing it, then it definitely should be removed in order to make the remaining code easier to maintain.

It is only easy if nothing else changes.
When you removed all the code for the FMVs (thinking it will never be used), it was a PITA to redo all that stuff, since lots of things were changed, and there were tons of conflicts.

So, while in theory, it is easy, in practice, not so much.

I admit, bringing these back from the dead was on my bucket list... :stressed:
Come to think of it, where did that mod (or was it a custom build?) go that had these on ?
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

1.11 had them, not sure what else may have had them.. I miss my bunnies. They were fun to play with and funny to watch. Be nice to have them in fixed... Will have to put that on my "todo when I remember it" list.