Why Not Split a Cyborg Into Three Parts Too?

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Why Not Split a Cyborg Into Three Parts Too?

Post by Merowingg »

Hello Gentlemen, I am not sure if the idea is not brought many times if yes, then sorry, but here it is.

We have this unique and cool possibility to create tanks in various ways.

Why not do the same with cyborgs too. Type of legs, then body, then arms.

Legs would vary into legs ;), hovercraft like legs, and rorellblade legs which would allove to move quickly.

The body would vary in the tipe of strong it would be, the stronger, the smaller weapon you could put into arms.

Arms would allow you to carry any weapon available in game, which was already researched.

Please look at the Front Mission 3 and then Front Mission Evolved games in youtube, and you will know what I mean.

If such feature would be possible. a great improvement in the 3.up would appear.

Please let me know what you think :)

Mero - the ideas bringer ;)
Last edited by Merowingg on 22 May 2013, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Originway
Trained
Trained

Re: Why not split a cybord into three parts too?

Post by Originway »

not worth the trouble
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

I have to admit that the scope of your answer is so deep that there is practically nothing more to say. One may even consider locking the thread, but not me :3

Look closely, tens here did things not worth anything here so it was finally added to the game you are happily playing and using those things both visible and not all the time.

Also be adviced that you have been spotted. There were numerous users who thought they will be sneaky and play around. Many would have to buy new OS to joins us here. I share as a god advice and god advice only.

Gentlemen, so who will cut a cyborg in three for me? :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

What you describe here is exactly what inspired Pumpkin Studios' tank design GPM ! Let me explain.

Back in 1993, the legendary Peter Molyneux produced a game called "Syndicate". It was a real time tactical strat game with Borgs that you designed through a UI like what WZ did 6 years after with tanks. Very popular and succesfull game that spawned an expansion and sequel, "Syndicate Wars". 20 years after the original was released, a reboot was released as an FPS in 2012. The design of Borgs from parts was integral to the "Syndicate" games and their appeal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndicate_(video_game)

How it would work out in WZ who can say with any certainty. It would involve a lot of work to create, test and balance, that's for sure. But if there are people willing and skilled - why shouldn't they go ahead and do it. Never know, mods of original games have been known to outstrip the original in popularity to the point they supplant the original and become the basis of thier own franchise.

What happens here too often is that peeps look to the games devs to make their suggestions canonical. That's not how it works. Beyond making the game mod friendlier and the core game more robust, it is not the devs mission to make mods canonical ..... modifying the game GPMs, aka most wholesale "suggestions", is really the domain of the game community to take on, IMHO.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

@Merowingg: I'd imagine that you'd want the Cyborg's body component to determine whether it's a smaller Cyborg, or a Super Cyborg, while the weapon component may or may not be dependent on the Cyborg's body, right? If the Cyborg's weapon choices are indeed going to be independent from what the Cyborg's body is going to be (meaning that Super Cyborg weapons may be mounted on smaller Cyborgs, though possibly slowing the smaller Cyborgs down due to the weapon's heavier weight), then we'd have to work on making the Cyborg's body rotate like a turret, since the game currently treats the upper torsos of Cyborgs as part of the Cyborg's turret. (I discovered this as I was developing Contingency. At one time, I had Cyborgs that looked like Heavy Machinegun Turrets on legs. :lol2: ) The pelvis of the Cyborg would be treated as part of the Cyborg's propulsion system, so that it wouldn't rotate with the Cyborg.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

As I understand it, the code used to do cyborgs currently is somewhat grim internally. I know Per was quite frustrated with it when he was working on the JS API. The way the JS API works you specify the individual components, but that then gets converted in to whatever the standard templates are (and if no standard template, it breaks IIRC).

It would certainly be nice to be able to design borgs, and have them work in a similar way to tanks. This would open up the possibility of various kinds of propulsion (currently just "legs", but there was also a jetpack cyborg at some point?) and body (currently just normal and super, but more could be added?). Like tanks, the body would have an engine power - so if you put a heavy weapon on a normal body borg, the borg would be slower to move.

You could also have two-turret cyborgs (weapon on each arm), maybe only on the super borg bodies though?

Another thing, having a designer would open up the possibility to create mechs which is something I'd dearly love to see in WZ.

That in turn would merit being able to build a module on a cyborg factory (would still be 1x2 tile building, just gets taller and bulkier when module built) to make it able to build mechs?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Perseus
Trained
Trained

Post by Perseus »

aubergine wrote:Another thing, having a designer would open up the possibility to create mechs
Nice idea, would be good for the game. :)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Played a bunch with a WZ Mech mod in '08 and it was a lot of fun. My thinking is to dev em like Keith Laumer's Bolos and replace the current commander unit with a command mech that has an advanced multi-vector coordinated maneuver tac a.i. that the player selectively enables through an enhanced command UI & mini-map. Dream on, Rman. :shock:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Staff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Staff »

Split stuff that didn't belong in this topic to viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11005
Sorry, this account has been deactivated.
Please post issues in Website feedback instead, only Moderators can read things there.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

Unless the borgs get a big revamped (ie mechs) I don't see much point to splitting them into 3 components as there is only one propulsion (legs), 2 bodies styles (used by all) and multiple weapons choices. So, for now worth the thinking on what direction to take them but not worth the effort to do any major code work me thinks.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Oh sorry, as I said, I did not know of existence of still similar topics.

Gentlemen I learn a lot from you, do I understand correctly thar rotating upper body of a cyborg would be a problem? And there shall be completely new bodies to suits multiple purposes and function correct, look good?

I hope everyone know that I only bring ideas, in meaning, if those are hell to make, crazy, not friendly ;) i am terrible at the knowledge of how you put things into shape, then do not poison me or simething ;)

What about the three legs type. Isnt that good? Hover hich would look like an "end" of a bee or ant, roller blades, so they drive, normal legs, they walk, hmm there could be also the track one, like Wallie has :P

Damn, if I could put into shapw what i see and put into practice :)

Regards - Mero