Be nice to newbies

Here you may talk about Warzone's Gameplay, Strategy & Tactics
newbieplayer101
New user

Be nice to newbies

Post by newbieplayer101 »

I have observed a pattern that is going on with newbie players all over again:

1. You enter a game and easily from the rank it is observable that a player is a new player to the game.
2. Since you are a newbie, you play like one
3. When the game goes towards loosing a comment like "what a noob" emerges and your team mate leaves after a complete game of ingame silence.

Being rude towards new player will not help this community at all. WZ is a free game and competing with a lot of other games on the market. If you want to have good new players, educate the newbies. Maybe by using the chat function and a little explanation, or handing them a link to a guide (there are not many good multiplayer guides out there).

The game is really cool, but the community is one of the worst towards new players that I have seen in my life.
In a multiplayer game, the community is one of the most important things that is out there.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Re: Be nice to newbies

Post by Cyp »

Note that not everyone is rude to newbies. Being rude to newbies is probably in general inversely proportional to skill.

Also, rank is completely meaningless, despite what some people seem to think.

Finally, if you beat someone easily, and they call you a cheater because you managed to build lancer tanks in less than 1 hour, just take it as a compliment.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Its is sad that you find the worst in multiplayer games I just want to say if you want to have a better playing experience you should try to arrange your games over the IRC games channel = http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=warzone2100-games
As for the rank showing your newbie-ness I have played warzone for untold years and I always try to make sure I have no rank.
This is fun.
See you In-game
Regards Berg
The Overlord
Trained
Trained

Post by The Overlord »

Cyp wrote:rank is completely meaningless
That is a strong statement, Cyp_ (I think it can at least show newbies from experienced players). :)
Warzone 2100 is love, life.
Member of the BDC clan and adept at multiplayer battles. Feel free to PM me questions about multiplayer.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I think it can at least show newbies from experienced players
No.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Reputation is the only good way to establish skill level.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
The Overlord
Trained
Trained

Post by The Overlord »

NoQ wrote:
I think it can at least show newbies from experienced players
No.
NoQ, newbies do not know that they can edit the stat file and therefore have a pacifier. I have only seen people I know using the pacifier as an attempt to seem like a newbie (ask Cyp). Generally, players tend to act like their rank* but of course there are the bad players with lots of stars and, very rarely, good players with nothing. As you can see, I am generalizing, but it is mostly true that the stars show at least some multiplayer experience.

*for high oil only - players with the virtually impossible 8:1 W:L ratio are generally bad at low oil
Warzone 2100 is love, life.
Member of the BDC clan and adept at multiplayer battles. Feel free to PM me questions about multiplayer.
Perseus
Trained
Trained

Post by Perseus »

Generally, players tend to act like their rank
Not entirely true. There are players that deliberately join games without rank, very good players. So when hosting games it becomes difficult to balance a game properly, so some people just ignore rank.
very rarely, good players with nothing.
Yep, sometimes people re-install their Operating System and lose their player file(s).
Virus- A
Trained
Trained

Post by Virus- A »

Actually you need to create a bond of IRC on the main screen of the war zone for players "newbies" are more experienced.
I agree with my friend newbieplayer101, but novices tend to spoil the games.
SALUDOS :D
xico - Español/Ingles un poco- -También conocido por "RaNgEl"☜ ☆ ☞ Luis Diego Rangel☜ ☆ ☞ ♪♪♫ ♫
Fabio_IT
Trained
Trained

Post by Fabio_IT »

many people who think they are pro players are very rude with the novices.
Newbie with name are welcome in my games, but no rude people.
I was, too noob until a short time ago, and sometimes I still am, but someone gave me the opportunity to learn, and sometimes they helped me
if a pro rude asks me to kick a noob, I'd rather kick the pro
Fabio_IT
Trained
Trained

Post by Fabio_IT »

if the pro player does not like playing with noob and ask me to kick them, it seems fair to not let them play together, and eliminate people who make nasty, so these pro :)
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Berg wrote:Its is sad that you find the worst in multiplayer games I just want to say if you want to have a better playing experience you should try to arrange your games over the IRC games channel = http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=warzone2100-games
As for the rank showing your newbie-ness I have played warzone for untold years and I always try to make sure I have no rank.
This is fun.
See you In-game
Regards Berg
Ironically, this channel is another reason people kick. 90% of my kicks are so that a user I know from this channel can join my game.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

effigy wrote:Ironically, this channel is another reason people kick. 90% of my kicks are so that a user I know from this channel can join my game.
And that is why the newbies need to be on the irc channel so they can arrange games that you wont kick them from.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Berg wrote:
effigy wrote:Ironically, this channel is another reason people kick. 90% of my kicks are so that a user I know from this channel can join my game.
And that is why the newbies need to be on the irc channel so they can arrange games that you wont kick them from.
:!: True.
Bobnmike
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bobnmike »

I never discriminate by rank. Lots of people change their name and have a different rank. If someone is a "noob" then remember that you were a noob once and tell them what they can do better. If you do complain don't complain to their face. no one likes being called a noob even when they know its true. Also it seems as though the community is split between low oil players and high oil players. High oil players are bad at low oil and vice versa.