[3.1+] WZ Mini: Scavenger Wars mod

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: [3.1+] WZ Mini: Scavenger Wars mod

Post by Berg »

aubergine wrote:Love the tower. Love the sandbags. Not sure they fit together though?
No idea what is meant by this.
If you mean are they correct orientation then Im not sure
If you mean are they all connectible For sure they are.
Do they need tweaking YES they do but thats part of developing new things nothing is perfect straight up although some times it is a rare fluke.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

shot5.png
Uses the same texture as the sandbag walls
Attachments
woodtower.pie
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I would guess the word "fit" is used in one visual context aspect - ergo, "scale" and not "style" since both are agreed to be "scavy" looking and the interlocking is taken for granted to properly place in map making. Sandbags are commonly 14 inches x 26 inches.
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 01 Feb 2013, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I was meaning aesthetically - maybe if tower had sandbags around it's base, possibly to similar height as sandbag wall, it would look more natural? If you were making sandbag walls, you wouldn't leave the corner where a tower is with just scaffolding, you'd throw some sandbags in or maybe set the scaffolding in concrete or pile of rocks or something to make it more stable?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Ahh. I see now. Makes sense.

I guess the scale thing is just my eye being acclimated to sandbags measureing 14 in x 26 in and not 3 ft x 6 ft. But this is a game afterall and WZ's scale is inherently problematic. Somethings are just not meant to be commonly seen closely, side by side, 'cause the scale is whack. :hmm:.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

I suggest that there is no purpose made bags just what can be found and the most likely is bags used by farmers to transport produce.
http://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/00-app1/goodsbox.htm
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Berg wrote:I suggest that there is no purpose made bags just what can be found and the most likely is bags used by farmers to transport produce.
That makes sense. Can't help but think of the weight factor but if you have enough power, what does it matter if they weigh 300 pounds each. :3
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 02 Feb 2013, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I guess in many cases the tower would just be placed behind the sandbags, although that might pose complexities for AIs trying to work out where to place a tower.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Did a little more research. Mind you, I believe in poetic licence and make use of it myself.

Agricultural produce bushel bags use an open, mesh, weave to be breathable unlike the smaller common sandbags which are constructed just the opposite. So while they would fit dimensionally, structurally not so much for sandbag purposes unless the were further treated with cement slurry..... maybe. Thus one of the main benefits of traditional sandbags in military fortifications would be problematic - the friction created by moving soil or sand grains and multiple tiny air gaps makes sandbags an efficient dissipator of explosive blast..

However, there are what are called FIBCs or big, bulk, bags, common in shipping many type items, that are 4 feet in diameter by up to 80 inches tall and have the capacity to handle a metric ton in weight. These are materially constructed like conventional sandbags and were employed in the 2011 Thailand floods as sandbags and were called the big bag wall or big bag barrier. These would fit the scale and function.

So much for realism. This is a game. Poetic licence works for me. :).

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Once the other sandbag-type walls and other structures are made (if any) I'll post the new FlaME dataset with them. The others that have already been made are added and working fine.

I plan to add the items from this mod to it as well, if there's a consensus that they should be there.

And yes, I'm a big fan of unified anything. :lol2:
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Emm just realized: i'm not sure we can make scavenger walls align with scavenger wall towers "the scavenger way". Wall models get aligned, but tower modules aren't, i think. So i don't think we'll be able to use the tower models with one or two wall segments in this mod :( but only with four wall segments (like a hardpoint).
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:Once the other sandbag-type walls and other structures are made (if any)
Explane whats needed I'll see what can be done.
NoQ wrote: Emm just realized: i'm not sure we can make scavenger walls align with scavenger wall towers "the scavenger way"
I understand what you mean But if you look at old maps the scav wall tower is used in the construction of bases see campain.
this way the new structures and the old maps will be similar in using sand bag tower and corner pieces.
blbrbtw1.pie
blbrbtw2.pie
The scavs already use a L shaped section. (dont know the pie name but its there)
As for a hardpoint type structure that can be done.(thinks on that with a tower)
The hardpoint will it need a connector NoQ?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

But if you look at old maps the scav wall tower is used in the construction of bases see campain.
this way the new structures and the old maps will be similar in using sand bag tower and corner pieces.
Well, no map has pre-placed scav towers for human players, afaik (: And we still won't be able to build those.

What this mod needs is a guard tower that will, when placed near a wall (in any direction, or even multiple walls), look as if it's connected to a wall. So that after replacing the game's hardcrete walls with scav walls, walls and towers start to align together like hardcrete walls align to hardpoints.

Connectors are needed iff you want a weapon. Wall align doesn't require any special connectors to get aligned, afaik, as long as they have the same direction as the base game's walls of that shape.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Ok so basic hardpoint with a connector at top easy peazy
will work on that
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Hrm, well... In WZ 3.2, if there are scav equivalent of human structures, it would be possible in rules.js to apply baseType setting then afterwards iterate the human structures/droids replacing them with nearest scav equivalent.

Example: .hasIndirect structure gets replaced with scav mortar pit. .canHitAir replaced with Zenith AA. MG towers get replaced with guard towers, etc. Trucks get replaced with Cranes. Walls with scav walls.