Models by MaNGusT (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Re: Models by MaNGusT (AR)

Post by MaNGusT »

HorusWM wrote:I pm a link to MaNGusT. Expose it under the CC-BY-SA-3.0 + GPLv2 license and permission to use this model for AR Project and wz2100 Resurrection Project pointing me as an author.
Again thank you very much for your contributing! :3
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

O! wow amazing. Best viper ive seen yet.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Andrie
Regular
Regular

Post by Andrie »

@HorusWM I never seen a better textured and modeled viper! :wink:

P.S. with what 3D modeling editor did you use? :...:
"My IRC en multiplay naam is Andrie"

Groete Andrie
HorusWM
Greenhorn

Post by HorusWM »

Andrie wrote:with what 3D modeling editor did you use? :...:
3ds max but it does not matter in which the editor. Maya or Blender may all the same.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

I've seen in last commits that Per updates graphic's code. Are you just fixing some stuff or you're improving it to a new state?
Anyway, I just want to remind devs about this.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

MaNGusT wrote:I've seen in last commits that Per updates graphic's code. Are you just fixing some stuff or you're improving it to a new state?
I'm trying to make Warzone run under OpenGL ES 2. I hope to improve some things in the process.

As for i-nod's branch... It is interesting, but it seems to need some work before it can be merged, and i-nod as far as I can tell has not expressed any interest in doing this or having it merged. I only learned about this work from you.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Per wrote:
MaNGusT wrote:I've seen in last commits that Per updates graphic's code. Are you just fixing some stuff or you're improving it to a new state?
I'm trying to make Warzone run under OpenGL ES 2. I hope to improve some things in the process.

As for i-nod's branch... It is interesting, but it seems to need some work before it can be merged, and i-nod as far as I can tell has not expressed any interest in doing this or having it merged. I only learned about this work from you.
It works fine, as Cyp said it'll be very easy to merge.

Yes, I-Nod will no longer support me with code improvements, he's very busy.
Anyway, he did the all I was asking for:
-updated the wmit
-added tangent space normal mapping support to wz and wmit
-compiled test build of wz with the new features.

I want to say that with new shaders wz looks even better than I thought.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

It may be easy to merge in a technical sense, but that does not mean it is ready to be merged. For example, like any change of some size, it is likely to have bugs.

I think it is generally a bad idea, perhaps even impolite, to merge someone's test branch behind their back, when they are not around to fix problem with it or explain how it was meant to work or what the design ideas behind it were.

I barely even have any idea what changed in the WZM format after I stopped working on it. For example, the texture animation support I designed into the original was far from ideal (based on multiple texture arrays; it should have used multiple index arrays instead). Don't know if anyone changed that to something better. Don't know if there is an up to date WZM format specification anywhere, either.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Per wrote:I think it is generally a bad idea, perhaps even impolite, to merge someone's test branch behind their back, when they are not around to fix problem with it or explain how it was meant to work or what the design ideas behind it were.
I think he doesn't care about what you will do with his code. He did this work to help AR and especially me. Some info is listed here.
I'll try to ask him to go to the forum, anyway.
I barely even have any idea what changed in the WZM format after I stopped working on it. For example, the texture animation support I designed into the original was far from ideal (based on multiple texture arrays; it should have used multiple index arrays instead). Don't know if anyone changed that to something better. Don't know if there is an up to date WZM format specification anywhere, either.
In wzm branch the texture animation support was cutted for wzm format because it's not needed for what wzm models should be used (new shaders support, bone animation) but we still have pie3 format that could be used to support obsolete features like wz's texture animation(gfx, cyborgs).
While gfx effects still have a chance to continue getting support(thx Cyp for his premult tool and code tweaks)(I don't think you are ready to implement a new particle system), cyborgs' animation is completely obsolete and must be replaced by the bone animation.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Is there a restriction for effect's pies to only have the pie2 format?
I'm trying to load pie3 model for gfx effect and get this:

Code: Select all

D:\Games\Warzone 2100-3.1.0\warzone2100.exe caused an Integer Divide By Zero at location 005fcfad in module D:\Games\Warzone 2100-3.1.0\warzone2100.exe.
Update:
Yes, there is a restriction. Pie2 gfx model works fine.
Last edited by MaNGusT on 17 Jan 2013, 00:37, edited 2 times in total.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Yes, PIE3 has floating point values that break sync, because they are used to calculate the bounding box/sphere. I am looking into a way around that.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

btw, do we have a texture animation editor for wz except pie slicer?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I have no idea. If Berg is around, maybe he can say what he used.

Do you know how the new WMIT imports tangent / bump map data? I don't see how that is done. Also, any idea what the new MINMAX_TSCEN line in WZM version 3 is? Or how team colours are implemented?
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Per wrote:Do you know how the new WMIT imports tangent / bump map data?
AFAIR, It calculates tangent in shader. I-Nod made all things configurable in shaders that are necessary for artists.

TSCEN is something that is used to scale models correctly.(not sure) EDIT: or it's the specified center of the model.
about TC, I need an access to my home PC to read logs about wmit's debugging. :) it will be in 4 hours.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

If I remember correctly, wmit calculates tangents & bitangents using the standardized mikktspace algorithm. It doesn't, however, calculate normals, but imports them with the models (so blender users need to check the "include normals" option when exporting obj)
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-