To My Fellow WZ Players..

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Nameless
Trained
Trained

To My Fellow WZ Players..

Post by Nameless »

As taken verbatium from warzone2100.zxq.net - Warzone 2100 Build Orders and Other Such Nonsense.
Sometime between the middle of July and June, the linux-based netbook in which I stored the most recent copy of the warzone2100.zxq.net data died.

While attempting to effect the relatively easy repair of a screen-flickering problem that had begun plaguing the netbook I accidentally and irrevocably broke the laptop's screen. Although I had made the necessary backups a week prior it still meant that I had absolutely no way of telling anyone about it except through word-of-mouth. To make matters worse, I found a job, a pretty awesome job at that and considering what was available.

5+ months later, and one Windows 8 OS later, I'm here to tell you that the Warzone 2100 Build Order Project is still alive thought a bit more sluggish and crippled for the moment. Rest assured, once I am able to pull the data off the ol' laptop's harddrive and figure out this newfangled gadget I have, the original format the website will return.

Until then, please visit http://warzone2100.zxq.net/blog for regular updates and http://warzone2100.zxq.net/archived for the original data in its original form. The move may have broken somethings for now but I'd rather keep both sources of information intact as much as possible.

Nameless, December 2012.
PS: Gah!! What happened to the forumz!?!? I'm not even sure I posted in the right area!
If you're reading this; you're awesome.
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: To My Fellow WZ Players..

Post by NoQ »

broke the laptop's screen
Usually not a problem when you have ssh (why would you want linux if you didn't fall in love with ssh yet? :D) ... or just connect the harddrive to another computer?
PS: Gah!! What happened to the forumz!?!? I'm not even sure I posted in the right area!
Emm, we got ... updated XD
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

I see that :P

I love ssh but unfortunately I can't even do that.. not until I figure out a way to dual-boot with linux and remember a little something called a.. a.. a password?!?!

Ideally, I'd like to get an adapter (they're only like 30 bucks) but for me to do that I'd need to find a way into town with enough monies, not to mention time. I'd also be dealing with the whole windows-mounting-linux thing or the whole linux-may-not-like-the-new-adapter thing or not to mention the whole finding a way to dual boot Win8 (I actually like it [for now at least]) with my favorite distro (which adopted some radically new but awesome standards).

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention; my ssh config/setup was all kinds of wrong (but it worked) and presuming nothing else was in the way I'm not even sure I'd be able ssh in haha.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Hurrah! You're back :) Looking forward to the post laptop-Collapse project :)

If it's any consolation, I once deleted all fonts on Windows except for a barcode font called 3 of 9. Suddenly, the entire interface was written in barcodes. It didn't help that, as always, I'd over-used the keyboard so much that all the lettering had worn off. So there I was with a fully functional PC but completely unable to use it or even ask for help because I couldn't quite tell what I was typing and I certainly couldn't read the replies.
Last edited by aubergine on 04 Dec 2012, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
stealthx
Trained
Trained

Post by stealthx »

here is what i do to recover files in situations like that:
1. boot an Ubuntu LiveCD
2. open the hard drive from within the live CD
3. plug in flash drive
4. copy needed files onto flash drive.
5. shutdown and disconect

hope this helps :)
"Game over man! Game over!"

In-game User: Penguin Army
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

If only it that easy haha.

My initial idea was to simply access my data using a external monitor. What could go wrong, right? The monitor that I knew worked (still does) but the display cable had gone bad. So then, I thought my next logical step would have been to simply blind-type my way into the box and pull the data off that way. I knew I could do it but I didn't want to risk fsck'ing any valuable data but I'd still be without a linux box or screen for that matter.

PS: Why use Ubuntu when you can use Arch Linux :P

@aurbergine; Wow!! Hahaha.
stealthx
Trained
Trained

Post by stealthx »

aubergine wrote:Hurrah! You're back :) Looking forward to the post laptop-Collapse project :)

If it's any consolation, I once deleted all fonts on Windows except for a barcode font called 3 of 9. Suddenly, the entire interface was written in barcodes. It didn't help that, as always, I'd over-used the keyboard so much that all the lettering had worn off. So there I was with a fully functional PC but completely unable to use it or even ask for help because I couldn't quite tell what I was typing and I certainly couldn't read the replies.
sounds like fun... LEMMIE TRY!
"Game over man! Game over!"

In-game User: Penguin Army