Legacy needs developers!

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Legacy needs developers!

Post by bendib »

Hi, I'm back after a couple of months away from Warzone, and as usual forgot most of what I know. I would like to extend an open invitation to all players capable of coding in C++ to even a small level, and who can follow Warzone 2100 Legacy's goals, which are strictly to enhance the core Warzone 2100 game, keeping the balance mostly 2.3.9 compliant, while fixing bugs, updating the UI and adding non-balance or graphics features and enhancements, and keeping the game up-to-date for running and compiling on modern operating systems. Contact me at [email protected] or PM me if you would like to become a Legacy developer. I had quit working on Legacy for a while, but I'm back and trying my best to update it. Another thing I really need is help updating copyright info and names, as well as cleaning out unused C++ code I do not understand.

universe2.us is the Warzone 2100 Legacy lobby server, and uses old lobby code compliant with 2.2.x. ##wz2100legacy is our IRC channel on Freenode, and our github repository is here: https://github.com/Subsentient/wz2100legacy

I am very, very displeased with recent developments in 3.x, and I very much intend to restore Warzone 2100's balance and create a safe haven project for the game keeping it mostly pristine. One other feature I plan to implement: WDG map loading. It will need to assume some things about every map, but it should not be *too* difficult. I have implemented functional spectator support, fixed much of the map and AI selector issues, removed the dependency on SDL, fixed hardcrete structures that did not require hardcrete to be researched, and more. Check commits on our github for an almost complete list of changes.

I sincerely hope to find some partners and friends to help me with my fork.

-Subsentient
Also known as Subsentient.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Re: Legacy needs developers!

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

So what are you using in place of SDL?
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

QT 4. SDL and QT seemed a bit redundant, since they are both required for the wz2100.net version, so I attempted to normalize and stabilize the QT backend with mixed success. It runs, but on some machines, it lags a bit. Higher FPS than earlier attempts however.
SDL has been completely nuked from my fork. There are no files for it, no dependencies on it, it's just not used.
Andrie
Regular
Regular

Post by Andrie »

Why not write Legacy in Python?
"My IRC en multiplay naam is Andrie"

Groete Andrie
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Warzone 2100 Legacy is based on 3.1, which is written in C++. Also because Python has much latency in such matters and requires that python be installed on the target machine. Rewriting it would also be an enourmous effort.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@Andrie: You can't just start layering python code on top of an old project. Programming simply doesn't work like that. Also, what bendib said.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

bendib wrote:QT 4. SDL and QT seemed a bit redundant, since they are both required for the wz2100.net version, so I attempted to normalize and stabilize the QT backend with mixed success. It runs, but on some machines, it lags a bit. Higher FPS than earlier attempts however.
SDL has been completely nuked from my fork. There are no files for it, no dependencies on it, it's just not used.
that is a lie, since I tried it and had the same FPS as before and is much worse than what the current 3.1 uses
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Dude you need to read more carefully. Bendib clearly stated that it lags on some rigs. Obviously results are rig dependent. There is NO lieing here. :3

bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I need to isolate WHY it lags. I have, however, fixed some crashes that are the result of me using a prehistoric lobby software version, making multiplayer for Legacy stable. Next stop, prevent exiting players and host from freezing everyone.

P.S. Thanks for sticking up for me Rman.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

So what are you using to mouse and keyboard support if not SDL?
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

QT 4. :^)
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

We still need developers...
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

My time is really limited but I will help whenever I can.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Excellent! Join our IRC channel (##wz2100legacy on freenode.net) and forums! The site is at http://universe2.us/wzlegacy
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Warzone 2100 Legacy still needs developers. Our project is taking off. Here is a link to our developer's guide: http://universe2.us/wzlegacy/wiki/index ... loperGuide