Warzone 2100 Fork: Legacy

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Warzone 2100 Fork: Legacy

Post by bendib »

Hi, I and a friend are currently working on a fork of Warzone 2100 called Legacy. It's based on beta 11, but is changing rather quickly. It's goal is to improve the game's UI and engine heavily while keeping the game's balance mostly pristine. Currently the site for Warzone 2100 Legacy is located at http://warzonelegacy.org/. We are looking for developers interested in our goals. Our guidelines however, include not touching the balance of the game without Subsentient's approval, making the game faster and not slower, and trying to keep libraries the program requires and links with down to a minimum. We are in special need of a mac developer, because currently I am only able to produce Linux x86-32 builds and Windows x86-32 builds. PM me if you are interested. Our github repo is here: https://github.com/Subsentient/wz2100legacy/

-Sub
Last edited by bendib on 22 Jan 2013, 06:21, edited 5 times in total.
Also known as Subsentient.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: Warzone 2100 Fork: Legacy

Post by Berg »

https://github.com/Subsentient/wz2100le ... ve/AUTHORS
You state there I am a team member I am not please remove my name off credits.
Just for the record I am not or ever was a part of your fork so please don't post that I am.
wei2912
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wei2912 »

Berg wrote:https://github.com/Subsentient/wz2100le ... ve/AUTHORS
You state there I am a team member I am not please remove my name off credits.
Just for the record I am not or ever was a part of your fork so please don't post that I am.
Sorry, I was the one who included you :P
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

When I wake up I will fix this in the first commit of the day.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Predator
New user

Post by Predator »

new version i have to hand it to Ben he has done a lot of things to improve the game. Faster graphics rendering, comprehensive spectator support, more face maps, improved multiplayer setup menu, fixed hardcrete balance, fixed cyborg balance, 2.3 complaint targeting and accuracy, game can start with low open gl requirements, transports can carry 10 tanks, and some other small changes.

Source code
https://github.com/Subsentient/wz2100le ... 08-30-2012

windows build
https://github.com/downloads/Subsentien ... -win32.exe

Press ctrl+insert or type spec_me to become a spectator in games. You will get objective failed to prevent a new form or rage quitting. thanks.
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

Predator wrote:new version i have to hand it to Ben he has done a lot of things to improve the game. Faster graphics rendering, comprehensive spectator support, more face maps, improved multiplayer setup menu, fixed hardcrete balance, fixed cyborg balance, 2.3 complaint targeting and accuracy, game can start with low open gl requirements, transports can carry 10 tanks, and some other small changes.

Source code
https://github.com/Subsentient/wz2100le ... 08-30-2012

windows build
https://github.com/downloads/Subsentien ... -win32.exe

Press ctrl+insert or type spec_me to become a spectator in games. You will get objective failed to prevent a new form or rage quitting. thanks.
this isn't faster, what are you talking about? it has stuttering graphics!
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Predator wrote:Faster graphics rendering, ...game can start with low open gl requirements.
Both statements are false and/or misleading.
Originway wrote:this isn't faster, what are you talking about? it has stuttering graphics!
They failed to see why we switched back to SDL.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

3.1 rc2 plays perfectly smooth at 1920 x 1080 and texture 2048. This branch is very choppy and has a small FPS reduction, tested with vtols circling. Nice effort though. I was very interested in some of the other changes, but since it's choppy no need to go there.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

vexed wrote:They failed to see why we switched back to SDL.
We are and have been aware of the QT backend issues, and will attempt to fix them. They do not happen for all users, though I have noticed a 5fps drop on my own machine. This is because of QT obviously, but I am attempting to reduce the number of dependencies that wz legacy requires. Linking with SDL and QT is redundant. I, however, am currently busy with real life stuff. Neither statement is intended to be misleading or false. The game WILL start with low OpenGL requirements. If you're using a fossilized version from the 1990s, I am however confident that the game will crash. The warnings for OpenGL requirements are now banished to console and log output, and either failing will not stop the game from attempting to load. Shaders are disabled by default, because IMHO they are quite ugly anyways. If you have FPS issues, I would like to hear your OS, DE, Window Manager, Legacy version, QT version, and video card. Also remember that these are "microwave" releases, equivalent to ressurections' "master" releases. In other words, no guarantee it won't turn your hard disk into a giant amoeba.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Qt5 is soon out... they intend to offer OpenGL over ANGLE on Windows. That should solve a lot of Windows issues. However, that requires porting to OpenGL ES 2.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I intend to keep the game compatible with as many versions of QT as possible. When QT5 is released, I will change the check for QT 4.8+ 4.6+ (because some people are behind the times), QT5 being acceptable. This may also require some other changes of course. I don't notice any significant FPS drop on the windows build vs beta 11 for Legacy. I have no intention of raising OpenGL requirements whatsoever. I do indeed notice the GUI is noticeable choppier on underpowered machines, but after all the setup screens, the game itself seems to run fine.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

NOTE: I have neglected to mention that for some (not most) players, Vsync IMPROVES performance and it's disabling can lead to a significant performance decrease. Attempt to re-enable this if you are having trouble with lag.
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

bendib wrote: The game WILL start with low OpenGL requirements. If you're using a fossilized version from the 1990s, I am however confident that the game will crash.
wtf, why would you remove stuff knowing it will crash the game? :augh:
Also remember that these are "microwave" releases, equivalent to ressurections' "master" releases. In other words, no guarantee it won't turn your hard disk into a giant amoeba.
what is ressurections' "master" releases? as for the last part, :shock: I won't be trying again, thanks for the late warning. :annoyed:
bendib wrote:NOTE: I have neglected to mention that for some (not most) players, Vsync IMPROVES performance and it's disabling can lead to a significant performance decrease. Attempt to re-enable this if you are having trouble with lag.
no tried both on & off vsync it still is way too choppy as was mentioned above.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Originway wrote:
bendib wrote: The game WILL start with low OpenGL requirements. If you're using a fossilized version from the 1990s, I am however confident that the game will crash.
wtf, why would you remove stuff knowing it will crash the game? :augh:
It won't unless you use a very old OpenGL. Current warzone won't even try to start with such an old version. My version tries even if it will fail.

@Originway, please post your OS, QT version (if not on windows), graphics card, etc. If you want this fixed, help with the fixing.
Again, for most people, the lag is a non-issue, as far as I know. Testers never complained. Both windows and linux users have tested.