Any chance of this somehow appearing on GOG?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
tfishell
New user

Any chance of this somehow appearing on GOG?

Post by tfishell »

Hey, I'm a big GOG.com (formally Good Old Games) fan, and I'm always on the lookout for old games that might be able to make an appearance there, whether free or not. I was wondering, since Warzone 2100 is freeware (correct?), could the developers find a way to release this classic on GOG (since it's already pretty compatible on modern systems, thanks to you guys, correct?) and still bring traffic to this site? I figured since people still thought of GOG as mostly a Good Old Games site (which it still is to me, anyway), maybe a release there could generate some extra popularity (like in that game's sub-forum), and even bring in new members to this site.

But maybe you guys prefer everything as it is. :) I just like to bring up ideas.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: Any chance of this somehow appearing on GOG?

Post by Berg »

Looks like you can only get the free games from GOG if you give them your info by signing up seems GOG would be using warzone to generate income.
tfishell
New user

Post by tfishell »

Berg wrote:Looks like you can only get the free games from GOG if you give them your info by signing up seems GOG would be using warzone to generate income.
Well, you sign up but of course you don't have to pay anything to do that nor do you ever have to purchase any games; you just sign up and play the free games. I was just thinking that allowing GOG to provide Warzone 2100 would generate interest from people outside this community, and people could be "re-routed" back over here.

But if those involved here/whomever has the rights believe that more publicity isn't needed or that they don't want to get entangled with a business (although GOG seems pretty cool), then that's their (and presumably the community's) decision.
Paul
Trained
Trained

Post by Paul »

freeware?
It is free but to release it you must attach the source with it as was said in another thread about GPL
tfishell
New user

Post by tfishell »

Paul wrote:freeware?
It is free but to release it you must attach the source with it as was said in another thread about GPL
Sorry, I don't know much about that licensing stuff. (And of course I'm new here. :) ) I'm assuming by source you mean source code? There is at least one game (although you have to buy it) on GOG that included the source code as a free bonus. http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/uplink_hacker_elite

Anyway, I'm guessing the development team wouldn't be interested in releasing this game or the source (or may not be legally able to), but my idea still stands. ;) This game is good and old.
Andrie
Regular
Regular

Post by Andrie »

If GOG requires sing up I dont think lots of people are on GOG :!:
"My IRC en multiplay naam is Andrie"

Groete Andrie
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

The only version of warzone that GoG would release is retail. From my understanding most of the games on GoG are re-released commercial games that they have obtained distribution rights for such as Wing Commander Privateer, Descent Freespace (is it FS or FS2 that is open source now?), Baldurs Gate, etc.

While they do offer some free games I do not think they offer any purely FOSS games or derived copies of GPLed commercial titles (such as this project).

And yes a lot of people are on gog since they are a direct download distribution site for old classic games that are no longer sold from more traditional sources.
Andrie
Regular
Regular

Post by Andrie »

Then maybe why do they require sing up :?:
"My IRC en multiplay naam is Andrie"

Groete Andrie
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

Probably to limit the number of people that can download the free games. Not to mention that in order to buy anything you need an account, which is typical for most online shopping sites anyway. They are in the business to make money afterall ;)
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Actually it's pretty straightforward. Use your "sin" email address and invent a name. That gets you a number of free games, most of which will play on later ms OSs (through DosBox - supplied and already setup). I bought a copy of Privateer (they don't keep card details). It plays perfectly under Vista. Even had to buy a new joystick!