Suggestion: Can we please get this game back on Linux?

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
StopMe
New user

Suggestion: Can we please get this game back on Linux?

Post by StopMe »

It seems to me like after version 2.3.9 the game was taken off Linux and the devs decided to leave the game for Windows and Mac. And now people who use Linux also have to use wine to play the game. Long story short What made the devs decide to not put the game back on Linux? Why not let players decide if they want to have the game on all three OS's or two OS's?
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Suggestion: Can we please get this game back on Linux?

Post by NoQ »

Lolwhat? I play 2.3.9 and 3.1 betas and current git master natively on linux and i wasn't informed that i can't do that.
Developers have said it many times: if they want to drop support for a certain platform, it is windows mac that will be dropped first.
What are you talking about?
Last edited by Staff on 19 Jun 2012, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed :)
tmp500
Trained
Trained

Post by tmp500 »

omGOSH!!!! whats wrong with the devs??? i also heard they are planing to put billboards up and plaster our screen full with advertising :(

u might want to rename this thread into "my brain fart 2012"
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

stopMe : The devs dont have the manpower to compile and make nice packs for synaptic or such... However, you can compile the sources by yourself and it take 5 minutes. using git, you will not even need to download all the sources between each releases.

Please read this : http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/CompileGuideLinux
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

It seems to me like after version 2.3.9 the game was taken off Linux and the devs decided to leave the game for Windows and Mac.
No.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

The devs decided not to be able to run WZ on their own machines..? When did that happen?
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

NoQ wrote:...Developers have said it many times: if they want to drop support for a certain platform, it is windows that will be dropped first.
:shock:
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Do people still use Windows? I thought everyone had made the move to Mac or Linux? I know companies still use it, along with MSIE lol, but surely people don't choose something like Windows for home OS? They must be nuts.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

aubergine wrote:...something like Windows for home OS? They must be nuts.
:shock: :shock:
Windows isn't the best OS but it is better than Linux in some stuff. Specially for games.
And if whit "people" you meant WZ players, then yeah. At least 1/3 of WZ players.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I think he was joking a bit ;)
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

I must be one of the few Windows users that play Warzone 2100 then, though that's partially due to how popular Windows was back when I got the 10+-year-old PC that I'm still using today. Even today, it seems as if many multiplatform games tend to be released for Windows before being released for the Macintosh, and there are some popular games out there that were exclusive to Windows (as far as PC gaming was concerned), including Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2, and Supreme Commander.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:I must be one of the few Windows users that play Warzone 2100 then...
Actually, there are many WZ players that use Windows.
Anyway, this is very off-topic...
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Last edited by Staff on 19 Jun 2012, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed :)
Well, that's how that post sounded ... ok nvm sry.

I'm still wondering what the topicstarter meant.
StopMe
New user

Post by StopMe »

@Giani what I am saying is we can't play the newer version of the game without using a third party program or without compileing the code on Linux. And yes it is possible for the devs keep puting warzone on the ubuntu software center, if the devs put warzone version 2.3.8 on the software center they can most likely doing again. I just want to know why they stopped making a Linux version of the game.

Warzone 2100 at launchpad.net https://launchpad.net/warzone2100
Searge-Major
Trained
Trained

Post by Searge-Major »

StopMe wrote:I just want to know why they stopped making a Linux version of the game.
In that sense, there is no "Linux version" of Warzone. There is the source code, which can be compiled and installed on any linux machine with the right tools, but you seem to be referring to a "Linux version" in the same way as an exe. To have Warzone for every linux would require building a .deb package, a .rpm package, and whatever the numerous other Linux OSs use, every time a new version/beta is released. If I'm not mistaken, this would take a very large amount of time and preparation, and in any case it's probably more up to the managers of the various Linux repositories to provide support for Warzone2100.

Regards, Searge.
I fully realise my input is just another drop in the proverbial bucket. It is my goal to make each drop count.