FlaME -- The Warzone 2100 Map Editor

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Giani
Regular
Regular

Re: FlaME -- The Warzone 2100 Map Editor

Post by Giani »

I heard there is a way to copy & paste terrain...
Is that possible? And if it is, how?
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
Spyro_Drag
Trained
Trained

Post by Spyro_Drag »

use the "selection" button, it give you the ability to select an area, first you click on the terain, you dont need to hold and drag, then you move the cursor to the opposite corner of what you wana copy and click again, youll have the area selected now. now hover over the button's and find the one that says, copy selection, this will put it in a clipboard, now depending on what of the selection you wana copy there is a button labeled "paste options", it gives you many options,(hehe, im repeating myself, im so silly eh?) next to that button is the "paste to selection" button, use it to paste to the area you have selected, so select a new area, roughly the same size, and walla, but thats as much as i now, sorry if this dont help.

wind fills our lungs

BTW, the button is in the top of the tarain window to the right of the mini map.
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

Thanks a lot :D
Now, how to delete gateways? :oops:
Btw, they are for helping the AI whit pathfinding, right?
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
Spyro_Drag
Trained
Trained

Post by Spyro_Drag »

ya... that gate ways... i dono if u can delete them... best to just copy everything into a new map without the gateways, then (with many quick save's) replace the gate ways, and be carfull not to mess up i guess... i messed up a couple o times, but thank goodness for the quick save.

Any idea when the addons will reopen?

Water soothes our soul
Flail13
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Flail13 »

Gateways can be deleted with shift and left click. It's used by some AIs as a place to build defences. They used to be used for pathfinding, but not in recent Warzone versions.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Giani.. in the first post here, Giani in the first post here.. a little bloew Giani :) click on the links sir :) and enjoy clear instructions :)
For help/documentation:
See Mapping Tips on this website.
BlueMaxima created a guide (Download). Parts of the program have since changed.
Flail13 hello :) If, and when.. you have time, please look at my previous posts..

I have also some serching window idea.. but something tells me it would be hard to make.. I mean in Place Objects tab, so for example if I type Cyb, the Cyborg Factory appears to be redy to be selected and placed..

I tried once more LMB and RMB height painting just now, the first is 85, the second 255, and both paint 85....

And also this tab window escaping to the left is very annoying.. when i change size of the brush it scrols so I can barely see it.. and have to move it back again.. each time..

And also this thing NoQ mentioned, that Copy/Paste erase all selection.. is that necessary..

I use 1.27

Good to see you :)

Greetings :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Flail13
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Flail13 »

Hello Merowingg,
The search idea is doable.
About the height buttons not working, is there a particular situation when it does that?
I understand what you mean about the tab window now. I'll look for a way to fix it, but that might be difficult since much of the interface is handled by VB.
I looked for a recent comment by NoQ about copy/paste erase all selection, but couldn't find one.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

The search idea is doable.
I am just suggesting Sir, at the same time I feel always uncomfortably pointing and asking for some things.. yet again at the same time ;) I spend so much time (my entire time :hmm: ) with your program that many ideas come to my mind :hmm:

Sorry I made you look for it, here it is.

I wrote
I have also noticed ghat. I copy terrain I paste terrain and now I want to make height I press on height and I can't. I have to go to any tab and go back to height to be able to paint height.. The same happens with any painting tab in any combination after copy pasting.
NoQ wrote
Yeah, copying-pasting overrides tab selection.
Is this necessary.. I dont like it.. maybe an off option?

The LMB and RMB height painting seems to happen at any time.. the previous time it worked for example.. which is even more strange for me.. maybe something with my PC? :hmm:

What is VB? and do help it is insane :oops: it jumps aside in such a way that I click the size blind 8) and then check how much I have chosen, as the arrows are exactly at the edge while jumping..

To sum up I do appreciate all your work and at the same time I cannot believe how much fun using FlaMe gives me all the time :) It is two years now I have just realised :) since FlaMe 1.2, it is two years, am I correct?

:drinks:
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Flail13
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Flail13 »

Merowingg wrote:(my entire time)
i recommend including other activities now and then :)

Oh, I read those posts. I don't know what the problem with it is though. To get back to the tool you were using you only need to click on its button again. eg if you were painting ground types, you click on "place" again. Have I missed the point?

VB is Visual Basic. It's the software/language I used to make it.

I found and fixed what was causing the scrolling for the brush radius. Any other buttons that do it?
For now, you could get around it by making the tab area bigger, if that is an option for you.

It is over two years since I first started. About a year since 1.20.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

i recommend including other activities now and then :)
yes, of course there are others :3
Oh, I read those posts. I don't know what the problem with it is though. To get back to the tool you were using you only need to click on its button again. eg if you were painting ground types, you click on "place" again. Have I missed the point?
You have put it in such a way, that I am confused :stressed: I will check it next time when I make a map, but in 90% i ment that after copying/pating anything.. when I have opened height tab, to be able to use height tab again.. i have to press any other tab, and go back to the height tab.. it happens with textures, and painting tab too.. I hope i have explained clearly now :beg: ;)

I would like to be able to paint, height, immediatelly after copy-pasting..

The case it the escaping menu happens in all areas I can type radius.. it will be especialy height too...

Making the area of window is not an option (It is indeed very kind of you to think if it is possible for me) My monitor is 17 as I yet do not have money for new one.. this one has even big back.. anyway if i make the window bigger, the map is not big enough to properly and nicely see it..

And is it possible to paint walls like lines? or do I have to click every single block of wall separately? If yes, something like the road painting, would be great for walls too.. many times I wanted to make something very concrete but this clicking scare me off ;)

Regards - Mero
Mr T
Trained
Trained

Post by Mr T »

After spending about 10 hours with FlaMe, I have some idees, some complaynes, but most of the time I'm amazed of the good work, so first - A DAMN GOOD JOB WITH THE EDITOR!!!!
Relay fun to mak maps in this tool.

Had to leave my beloved Mac OS X and install FlaMe 1.28 on the PC. Have to use the Mono version to get it working.

* The "fast save" (disket icon over the map), why is it not under the "File" menu. Took me like 8 hour before i saw it :oops: . Used "save as.." all the time. Works to but...

* A small preview for the "Objects" would be nice

* Why not use the right click on the mouse (even mac mouse have 2 buttons nowadays :-) ) to get object info. Open the Object tab right away or a smal popup menu with "copy object", "past object", "object info" (thats open the object tab), "texture info", texture copy" and so on. (love the "CTRL-mouse klick"-copy funktion when I found it. Nice with "fast keys", but by using standard right klick funktion its easyer to use the editor.

* Group the tabs by a smal color. "Textures" and "Terrain Painter" can have a light green (NOT green, Light Light green), and so on. The tabs are to many. If it is posible to group them, or to make them expand when u drag the mouse over them ("Terrain Painter" can be visible like "Terr..Pain.." until u put the mouse over) it esyer to se (I think). Also, the tabs can be reach from one mor menu betwhen "File" and "Options".

My first map hade MANY "Bad unit overlap on tile X,X". If it is the mono version or the editor that make it sloooow to scrol I dont now, but it toke me looong time to slide to all the places. So 3 idees here.
* One "goto" funktion to jump right at the position.
* A "fast move key", like holding down shift while scroling with w-a-s-d stepps me 10 snap away.
*Have the information about "overlap" that I got when "Compiling" visible when I working. Now it is in a seperat window, that hase to be closed to work. Maby one more tab (color red :wink: )

After spending 10 hours with my map, I tried it (yes I now I shude have tried it before ... nag nag nag...) and then I see in the game that all my tree dont work with the Urban texture. The trees look like they made of iron or something. The truck and some other used object also look strange :|
So to the developer of the game - Make it posible to mix object and maps, this will make the maps more colorful/variety. (Las Vegas - buildings in the deseert is not today posible becaus of this.(?))
For the FlaMe editor, maby som group funktion with object works in with "map-type". Object for "Urben", for the "desert" ....
About the object and grouping, some kind of group funktion shude be nice. I like forest, so maby I can group "my favorit objects", or "used objects on the map" and so on.

(sorry for the bad spelling and the long text. Going back to my drawing board to figure out how to make a "green Urban" map without trees in the city :-( )
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Flail13
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Flail13 »

They are two different flames. I had nothing to do with *that* virus.
I used FlaME to begin distribution of my AI. Once it gains access to the Iranian nuclear missile sites I can fulfill my ambition of realizing the Warzone situation.

:ninja:

I put the suggestions on a to-do list.
Is an update to 3.1 graphics wanted? Are the Warzone graphics likely to change in the near future? eg < six months
Merowingg wrote:or do I have to click every single block of wall separately?
yes

Mr T, does "a small preview" mean a 3d view of the object? If so that one isn't practical. The fast key is F. Most of the suggestions are doable. Instead of another tab, would having the compile result window stay on-top do the job?
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Is line painting on the list? and other things I have mentioned?.. :hmm:

And place them however you wish :) I think you shall decide, and we by working on it will define if the placement was good :3

Speaking of graphics.. I use them in old way all the time.. but I think it would be right to prepare some ground for changes.. they all seem to went crazy about 3.1 so we seem to be heading that way..

Also please add to the to-do list :lecture: the way of saving files, by that I man, if I saved my working file in Not Redy maps folder, and then want to compile it into Redy Maps, I would like always the working copies open in Not Redy where last saved, and the Compiled one in the Redy Maps, or wherever saved. Now each time it is to be chosen.. and honestly it take some time..

And maybe a nice "bacon" to show the things on a map, for example I want to see the placement of bunkers on the map, I select it, I tick something ;) and I have very clear indicator of what the positions of the all bunkers of this type are. I know it will highlite in white now when I select it, yet I would like something stronger, more visible.. or even few colours to chec few things at once..

If I propose something insane please tell me, and then ignore me ;) so I would not repat :)

Ah and what is the way to enlarge preview in 1.27.. I couldn't find it.. :stressed:
Flail, you're a genius,
Yes it was unbelievably smart.. and he just sits here..

Regards - Mero
Mr T
Trained
Trained

Post by Mr T »

Flail13 wrote:Mr T, does "a small preview" mean a 3d view of the object? If so that one isn't practical. The fast key is F. Most of the suggestions are doable. Instead of another tab, would having the compile result window stay on-top do the job?

Okej, no object preview then. (why not practical I whondering)

Whill try the F key, but ones again I whonder why not use "deafaoult" keys ? In most other program it is to hold down shift, but maby I been working in Adobes program to much :-)

If the "error" window after compiling can stay on top it will probebly work to. If it was posible to dubble click the error text to jump to the position it whode be nice.