* Pre-liberation to Liberation: An Honor Roll *

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
crass
Trained
Trained

Re: * Pre-liberation to Liberation: An Honor Roll *

Post by crass »

why don't you just post all the names from the old forums it would make about as much sense as what you are trying to do here
they were all part of the community were they not?
so why hold back?
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Crass, I strongly suggest you ease up on all the trolling. Your disrespectful comments toward a honored member of the community over the past several weeks are unwarranted.

In short, please lighten up.
crass
Trained
Trained

Post by crass »

this is not trolling it is trying to make a point
there is a difference
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

You're trying to make a point, but everyone disagrees with you...
Which means either everyone else is wrong or you have an attitude problem.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

crass wrote:why don't you ju.
st post all the names from the old forums it would make about as much sense as what you are trying to do here
so why hold back?
The distinction would be work done to advance the game and the cause. Like here, 99 % of those registered just lurked and were not actively engaged as a working community. That's the obvious distinction being made.

And by the way.... a number of the folks mentioned here have made contributions to this project post liberation...

crass
Trained
Trained

Post by crass »

Rman Virgil wrote:
st post all the names from the old forums it would make about as much sense as what you are trying to do here
so why hold back?
The distinction would be work done to advance the game and the cause. Like here, 99 % of those registered just lurked and were not actively engaged as a working community. That's the obvious distinction being made.

And by the way.... a number of the folks mentioned here have made contributions to this project post liberation...

why not point them out then?
I see only troman listed with these guys
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

why not point them out then? I see only troman listed with these guys
Sure... be glad too.... after my nappy. ;)

Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

Here is the original source files for the editworld help file. If you can get it converted to a nice PDF I don't think anyone will notice or care :lol2:
Rman Virgil wrote:Within 2 weeks of its release, amongst the chorus of bitching and mouning about how un-user friendly it was, I wrote the first tutorial in collaboration with Shang & Troman. After NEWST was formed in the summer of '99, LA took it upon himself to create an EW guide proper. LA - it was vastly superior to what we did
And I noticed a few things that make me go :hmm: Did you know that with a nice height map and/or terrain map (see help file) you could create a fully tiled map faster in a paint program (if you knew each the tile order and corresponding greyscale RGB value) with a much HIGHER quality that fiddling in EW by hand? :lecture:

BTW I found landmines that strata had worked on pre P2 that worked with 1.10 and 1.11
Attachments
editworld help.zip
Obsolete Help file source.
(762.52 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I'm making this my first response going forward because, frankly, it was easiest.

LA and Aubergine, responding to your posts will take considerably more time and I will gladly proceed to do so carefully but because of all else that's on my plate right now I'll have to chunk it out over the course of the rest of the week.

============>

st post all the names from the old forums it would make about as much sense as what you are trying to do here they were all part of the community were they not? so why hold back?
Rman Virgil wrote:

crass wrote:why not point them out then?

I see only troman listed with these.
Rman Virgil wrote:Sure... be glad too.... after my nappy. ;)

========>

Mike Gilmore <Chojun> : Programming

Roman C. <troman>

Kim Metcalfe <lav-coyote25>

Adam Holland

Ben Russon <grizzly>

Kevin Malec <Kevin>

Phil Procario <GrimMoroe, grimandmandy>

========>

2 names need a little clarification.

* Adam is using his RL name only & I am using his nick.

* Grim came to the this Project only because his brother, Elric is not Dead, a great pre-lib WZ artist told him: "Go help them, they need you and I'm not in a position to do it myself now."

========>

The following Pre-Liberation folks are not on this Project list but they contributed their pre-lib work to this project for distro: maps, mods, A.I. scripting and one wrote a utility prog specifically to transition tertiles to v.2.3x. Is any of that negligible in this context? I think not.

============>

kage

RSgod

NiKer

BOTman

Stratadrake

RBL-4NiK8r

HB

Laws215

=======>

There may be more I missed!!

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:........

And I noticed a few things that make me go :hmm: Did you know that with a nice height map and/or terrain map (see help file) you could create a fully tiled map faster in a paint program (if you knew each the tile order and corresponding greyscale RGB value) with a much HIGHER quality that fiddling in EW by hand?
Didn't know that. Interesting. My HMs tend to be outlines... or better yet, sketches. When I get into the editor I like to mold the terrain like a sculpter working in clay. I'm an old school analog artist and those habits carry-over into the digital realm. Plus I like the diety feeling of going - I shall make a mountain rise up here and, over there, I shall part the waters. :lol2: A decidely silly affectation but harmless fun me thinks. ;)

aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

So, the EditWorld help file is now converted to (editable) Wiki format: https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/page ... Id=7636828

I noticed there was a credits list in there that might be applicable to this topic:

* Shang - Original edit world faq, and several 3rd party add-ons, plus his first try at adding custom tilesets

* HB - For his amazingly easy TMLink program that has helped all of us add custom tiles

* Maynard - For his help in allowing me to understand some features i didnt know or use, and everything hes done or helped me with through out this project.

* Striker - For his help as my guinea pig through the begining and his help with designing some really cool height maps

* Troman - for being soooo annoying and trying to prove us wrong on alot of different things, and als for helping with our understanding on some less known features

* Alex McLean - For his support when i first started this project several months ago.

Please let me know if anyone still uses EditWorld - if they do, I'd like to know where the tool can be downloaded from and I'll reformat LA's user guide on to separate wiki pages to make navigating and linking to it easier. Otherwise, I'll just leave it on one big wiki page as a sort of historic reference should it be of use to anyone.

I also extracted some NEWST images and created a NEWST page in WZpedia: https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/disp ... edia/NEWST -- Obviously I now want to get some write-up on NEWST, as it was clearly an important phase in WZ history. That NEWST page is editable BTW... hint, hint! ;)
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Editworld32 can still be downloaded from:
http://warzone2100.org.ua/downloads.php (Thanks Terminator :)) Edit: Site appears to be down or similar, have just uploaded it to here: http://www.mediafire.com/?p25mo6t6t1g693c

And:
http://trueblues.warzone2100.de/dl_tools.php http://worldforceclan.com/warzone2100/downloads.html http://www.fileplanet.com/92890/0/0/0/1 ... /Utilities http://www.directgames.net/clanpages/rb ... /index.htm http://www.strategyplanet.com/warzone21 ... down.shtml
and probably more..

The updated .exe that produces .wz files (instead of .wdg) is available here still viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1618

Both the full original download and updated .exe are no longer hosted on my personal site, but like others, I have them stored for safekeeping.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

@ Aubergine: I'll be glad to move stuff over to the wiki site. :3

Your wiki site is growing by leaps and bounds into something quite extraordinary. Obviously a ton of work and we don't wanna put all that on your shoulders without any assistence from this end.

But I would like to do initial drafts here for 2 reasons.

1.) The pre-lib folks know and come to this site thus thier crowdsourcing will likely happen here rather than elsewhere... at least to begin with.

2.) That veteran crowdsourcing here serves an important dual purpose: that they weigh in with thier POVs and... that they scrutinize and do a vetting of what I state.

=======>

What I will do in my very next post is recount the details of NEWST's origins and formation.

Besides members of the Pumpkin Studios Team, there are only 4 other peeps who can speak to this: Carver, Sputnick, Stratadrake and myself. Three are around, the fourth I'm not sure. It is a singular tale. As is the opensourcing of a commercial RTS in the annals of the genre.

I'll do this soon - within the next 24 hours.

Gotta scoot for now.

crass
Trained
Trained

Post by crass »

Rman Virgil wrote:Sure... be glad too.... after my nappy. ;)
========>

Mike Gilmore <Chojun> : Programming

Roman C. <troman>

Kim Metcalfe <lav-coyote25>

Adam Holland

Ben Russon <grizzly>

Kevin Malec <Kevin>

Phil Procario <GrimMoroe, grimandmandy>
like I said only troman is listed anyplace the other people, what did they do exactly?
well that X-mod :lol2: we all know what he did :lol2:
kage

RSgod

NiKer

BOTman

Stratadrake

RBL-4NiK8r

HB

Laws215

=======>

There may be more I missed!!

same here except for stratadrake I saw his post
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

crass I read all your posts from when you joined in March, while pinching a loaf. I was done reading before the loaf was pinched.

I see a clear pattern. Some words come to mind: poseur, shill, cancer, parasite, manipulator, etc. Nothing of redeeming value, IMO.

Also, I don't answer to you or your crude & obvious manipulations.. nor am I at your beck and call. You have zero standing with me. Your last post also leads me to believe your language-reading skills and comprehension are remedial. Is this all you got going? I'd lay grand on the line behind an affirmative to that. Do us all a favor in this thread at least, and take it elsewhere, anywhere, perhaps an outhouse would be a perfect fit.

As for your innuendo about Lav - a million of your verbal ejaculations would not equal 10 minutes of his contributions to WZ over a stellar decade.

Always feel like I need to take a shower after dealing with your ilk.

Btw, if you persist here in your blow-hard crassness, let me give you my future response to any of your up-chucks:

Rman to crass: *Yawn*...
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 06 Jun 2012, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.