Ability to change difficulty mid-game

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Flalt
Rookie
Rookie

Ability to change difficulty mid-game

Post by Flalt »

Would it be possible to implement this? As it is, the nexus easy is too easy except in the beginning, and the normal is too difficult, at least in the beginning (for me)... I'd love to be able to change difficulty mid-game to compensate.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Ability to change difficulty mid-game

Post by stiv »

Maybe we could make the difficulty a 3rd order polynomial. That way it could start off easy, slowly ramp up to hard, taper off for a bit to let you think you have a chance, but then come roaring back to crush you like a bug. Wouldn't that be exciting!
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Strange this topic should crop up now, I've actually been pondering how to make an AI that adapts its difficultly level to the player for the past 2 days. Still scratching my head though...
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Flalt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flalt »

stiv wrote:Maybe we could make the difficulty a 3rd order polynomial. That way it could start off easy, slowly ramp up to hard, taper off for a bit to let you think you have a chance, but then come roaring back to crush you like a bug. Wouldn't that be exciting!
It would, wouldn't it?
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Or maybe make the difficulty Σₙ δ(t - n), such that 100% of the time it doesn't even try to stop you at all, but every minute it plays at infinite difficulty for an instant, such that the average difficulty is constant. Oh, wait, that was already done in 2.3 multiplayer, noone does anything most of the time, but every minute your base and army suddenly explodes.
Wisler
Trained
Trained

Post by Wisler »

Apparently you can already do this by activating cheat mode, and typing either easy/medium/hard.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.

Pm me to try out for RBL.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

@Wisler have you tried, does that work? I've not seen that cheat mentioned anywhere (or maybe I just missed it). I might need to do some docs on cheat mode if there are some unknown things like this.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Flalt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flalt »

I was actually talking about AI difficulty, the slider thing (EDIT: not a slider in 3.1), not the one in the menu, which I suppose the cheat would change. Um, what's the difference, anyway?
Wisler
Trained
Trained

Post by Wisler »

@Obergine, its in FAQ>cheat.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.

Pm me to try out for RBL.