[mod]Next Research System (NRS) 2.3.9

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: [mod]Next Research System (NRS)

Post by NoQ »

There are no defense structures
:shock:
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

R.U.R. :hmm:
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

zydonk wrote:
Iluvalar wrote: Oh... I'm sorry, anarchy is a duel map : pos 0 vs pos 1 . Anything else is a bonus.
Duel map for 8 players, three of which are sequestered from the fray? I don't understand this.
Yeah a 1v1 map with a possibility of teaming 2v2 a 3rd spot for a optional 3-way or simili-scavenger (using a weak ai), 3 observer seats, with a bonus map linking 2 of them for an bonus duel option and the last observer seat having power for an optional "external teammate" experience. Still, the flow was planed for a duel map...
Also: how on earth can the mod version be sooooo different to the mapmod version?
It's not supposed to be different O_o . You loaded it correctly ? Played in similar oil accessibility ?
But why such a weirdly complex research offering when mp's last no more than an hour?
It's not complex at all, every lines start for the center. The purpose is to make mp games different from one another. The players will never have to research what they don't want to. They develop their own still, their own favorites techniques and it make everyone find their own way... I still find new combos to try that I never imagined before :oops: .
Give me at least a mg bunker and I will try again...
with very few exception (bombs,bunker buster) every weapons give at least one defensive structure instantly. For the single machine gun, it's the smg tower. I don't see why you so much want the mg bunker, unless you expect it to be stronger. In which case, you missed the point of the autobalance.
I have read posts in this topic over the months, but nothing I gleaned there has prepared me for the sheer strangeness of your mod.
Please give you a chance to adapt to the tech tree... in multiplayers, they take 2-3 matches before they start to develop their own path correctly.

Do you want the game to be longer passed ? I could make it slower, some prefer a campaign rhythm...
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Scavanger Rockets
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scavanger Rockets »

No jeeps? How am I supposed to be a minor nuisance without jeeps!!!? I do appreciate the fact that you put in the scavenger version of the lancer though.
More Rockets!!!
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

There is 2 problem with the jeep.
A) First, there is no more "spot" avalaible for the jeep body from a gameplay point of view. There is no more gap to fill. Even so, I would consider reimporting the crystals and the wasp bodies first prior to the jeap because...
B) Second (and not the least) it doesn't support the weapon model correctly. I believe Jorzy recently fixed that in 3.1 ...
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

I allow that I am a total noob as far as NRS is concerned. A couple of points - but please understand that I am NOT criticising the mod, just taking up your time as I flounder about.

Mapmod: I loaded the mapmod in WZ 239 (kudos btw for sticking to v23n, the v3 is really flaky) much as I would load any map. (First time loaded it to WZ modded 1.10 (out of habit), hence the ref to lancer bunker - which probably startled you.) The research offering is vanilla 239, as is the AI as best as I can judge.

Mod: used as a mod, NRS is weird as previously described. Second time in, I managed to survive (am still surviving, should I resume the game) for 40 minutes by the (primitive) expedient of building a Chinese wall and setting trucks to hose it down with repairing goodness. Meanwhile got me some mortars (amazing rof right out of the box, but cannot estimate their effect). Found then that I could begin a pretty average research path, mini rockets and on to lancer. But, I also noticed - and this is my point here - that the AI itself follows the usual research path(s) - mg, rockets, lancer; wheeled, half then full track. I declined to use the bank(s) - can't see the advantage in sk - and treated the game as low oil. I think now that I could survive pretty easily in the NRS universe without recourse to the NRS specialities - well, perhaps later in the game when I have better control of my situation I will experiment.

MP mod: as an mp mod it seems to me to be absurd - an mp bout would not last long enough for your specialities to be effective. But that is a judgement I leave to mp players. I think it is an mp mod, it needs human v human players for your idea to work. Goodness knows what it is like to play - I'd say mp is frantic enough without your arcane refinements - but good on you, Iluvalar, for taking the trouble to explore your idea to the extend you have done.
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

zydonk wrote: But, I also noticed - and this is my point here - that the AI itself follows the usual research path(s) - mg, rockets, lancer; wheeled, half then full track. I declined to use the bank(s) - can't see the advantage in sk - and treated the game as low oil. I think now that I could survive pretty easily in the NRS universe without recourse to the NRS specialities - well, perhaps later in the game when I have better control of my situation I will experiment.
Because the AI doesn't know the weapons of NRS exist. For an AI knowing about that weapons, you have to make a new one or change the old one.
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

zydonk wrote:Meanwhile got me some mortars (amazing rof right out of the box, but cannot estimate their effect). Found then that I could begin a pretty average research path, mini rockets and on to lancer.

zydonk wrote:But, I also noticed - and this is my point here - that the AI itself follows the usual research path(s) - mg, rockets, lancer; wheeled, half then full track.
The AI have 3 personalities. Each alternating on 3 complementary weapons. It's true that I had never teach them new weapons and designs.
zydonk wrote: MP mod: as an mp mod it seems to me to be absurd - an mp bout would not last long enough for your specialities to be effective.
This is a necessary part of the game. When a player have completly specialized, he is also stuck in that specialization. Every lines have their equal part of weakness/strength and I want those weakness to be serious enough to be "visible". (cannon vs borgs suck). If I leave both players to specialize too fast, one of them will soon realize that he have a lethal weakness and it will be too late to react.

The more i give time until you reach that specialization threshold, the more time the randomly losing player have the opportunity to come back, and switch to an advantageous line.

So on one side, I encourage players to specialize by giving the bonus when they keep on the same line, and on the other side, the reality rejoin them and the opponent adapt to that specialization slowly forcing the player to another option until one of them do a mistake.

On the bright side, I did a test in a game. It took me 17 minutes to reach the longest new component (gauss cannon) with an omega lab. So I think it's possible to specialize to any of the many options into a game laps of time.

Thank you very much for the feedback, I take note and improve on any of them.
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Well, thanks for taking the time. It was culture shock really. There is something so different about NRS - which fascinates me - even though I will probably never play it in mp. But I like the Anarchy map itself. I have modified it slightly to produce what seems to be an interesting sk map, which I have called coot-b. Can I access any more of your maps? You are as painstaking in map making as in mod making.
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Iluvalar, this might be a problem you're familiar with. Load savegame failed at start of third session of a game using your Anarchy map in WZ239 modded with NRS. This happened with another game, with same map and a similarly modded 239, but I assumed then that I had corrupted the savegame by loading and saving it in 239 vanilla by mistake.

Save files and logs attached...
Attachments
NRS load game fail.zip
Savegame & logs
(210.74 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
[dark]_Continue
Greenhorn

Post by [dark]_Continue »

Iluvalar can I get this mod please.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Zydonk : you have 2 folder ? NRS and NRS(14) ? when i merge them together I can load a game 1h20 into the game...
Attachments
8c-Pill_NRSpV121.wz
Very low oil
(310.4 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Iluvalar wrote:Zydonk : you have 2 folder ? NRS and NRS(14) ? when i merge them together I can load a game 1h20 into the game...
That's right. I assume that is how you had arranged it. The save folder is being shared with 239 vanilla and 239+1.10 mod, neither of which saves games in that format. Actually, I've just notice that the latest NRS game I'm playing is saving to one folder. Strange. Any idea why the reported game was saved to two folders? In any case, I will merge folders likewise here and see what happens...
nor7hern_wa7ch
New user

Post by nor7hern_wa7ch »

I have a question since this is my first time on Warzone 2100 "mod system"

How do you install these mods?

and

Which of the files should i get?
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

If you downloaded that last file called "8c[...]" it's a 8 player map-mod. You can place it in your maps and just launch it as a usual game. Or you can place it in the folders "/mods/autoplay" (might have to create it). At the same place you will find the folder "/maps". So you can play with NRSv121 in any low oil map.