Active Pause

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
ermns
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Active Pause

Post by ermns »

When you set the speed to 0.001 with Ctrl - it is the same as having paused the game.
The truth is that it was a feature that was really missing in 2.3.8 which I played before 3.1.

I would agree though and make this proposal :
To be able to go to 0.001 speed with the push of one button. After a while it becomes a little tiring hitting Crtl - and = to decrease and increase speed.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Isn't the definition of a real-time strategy game that you play in real time, i.e. against the time? From my point of view, everything except 1x should be a cheat.
We want information... information... information.
Flalt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flalt »

The definition of turn-based is you have turns. Pausing the game doesn't equal having turns. It's a comfort feature, like speeding up to avoid boredom.

P.S. Yeah, I'd love to figure out why slowing down and speeding up don't work for me. I think I'll try a reinstall before anything else.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

I agree with cybersphinx on this matter, being able to completely pause and then issue orders is encroaching on simultaneous turn based, part of a real-time strategy game is about having to respond and issue commands in real-time. Being able to keep up if things are getting too hectic is all a part of the skill involved in playing the game. The speed settings in the campaign are there to both speed up play (e.g. waiting for a bunch of slow units to make their way from one side of the map to another) and there to slow down play (to an extent) in hectic moments if you feel the need to give yourself an edge.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
crass
Trained
Trained

Post by crass »

they want a noob feature since they can't handle the already slow pace the game has
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@crass: What's up with you belittling people all the time? We all know this is not a multiplayer feature anyway...
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
crass
Trained
Trained

Post by crass »

Jorzi wrote:@crass: What's up with you belittling people all the time? We all know this is not a multiplayer feature anyway...
noob isn't bad we were all noobs at one point
they will remain noobs if they keep slowing down the game to that slow speed though
as for belittling only when it is called for :P
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Belittling people is never called for.
For example, saying "they want a noob feature since they can't handle the already slow pace the game has" is probably an outright lie, since I doubt it is true for absolutely everyone who would like this feature.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

crass, I suggest you to use some kind of "active pause" before posting such messages to rethink if it is really a good idea. ;-)

EOT
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Flalt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flalt »

Anyway, and obviously, one wouldn't have to use the feature, so it would be there for those who want it. Everyone else wouldn't have to touch it. Win win.