Active Pause

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Flalt
Rookie
Rookie

Active Pause

Post by Flalt »

Ability to pause AND move around giving orders while paused is a common feature in modern RTS's. I think its lack in Warzone gives the AI an unwanted edge (at least for those players who like me, are incurable noobs). How easy would it be to implement? May one hope for its implementation in the next version?
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Re: Active Pause

Post by Cyp »

If you enable debug mode with Shift+Backspace, you can set the game speed with Ctrl+Minus / Ctrl+Equals, and if you slow it down enough, it pauses.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Even using Ctrl+Minus without debug it's possible to slow the game to a crawl (in Skirmish games at least) as shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bQRaYApnR0
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Flalt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flalt »

Well, I suppose slowing down (even to a pause) serves the same purpose, but I don't find it as user friendly as instant pausing would be. Surely it's a feature that can be added?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

gives the AI an unwanted edge
If only that was true. The AI completely fails to use this edge, and i've spend a lot of weeks trying to make him use it properly, but i pretty much couldn't (:
Flalt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flalt »

By the way, nothing happens when I press ctrl minus. And if I press ctrl equals, the game assigns a unit to a group. I also tried changing the key mappings for increasing and decreasing game speed but nothing happened (I reported it as a bug about key mappings not being able to be changed, but on reflection it may be that I'm just unable to decrease or increase the game speed for some reason).
Flalt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flalt »

NoQ wrote:
gives the AI an unwanted edge
If only that was true. The AI completely fails to use this edge, and i've spend a lot of weeks trying to make him use it properly, but i pretty much couldn't (:
I think you have been successful at least early game. I tried nullbot light on hard, but after a couple of frantic minutes the AI was snatching oil sources under my nose on my side of the map and attacking an oil well near my base with five machine gun vipers at the same time while I had only just finished designing the machine gun viper and hadn't yet built any.

edit: maybe it depends on the map. This was the 1v1 urban map.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Here's another NullBot stomp video: http://wz2100.net/~cyp/recording-20120505070728.mp4 — but maybe the NullBot plays better now.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

NullBot still dies in under 10 minutes against me, no matter what i do =/ Even on master, where i possess the power of unthrottled eventAttacked.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

NoQ wrote:NullBot still dies in under 10 minutes against me, no matter what i do =/ Even on master, where i possess the power of unthrottled eventAttacked.
Try setting your units to "Hold Fire", and don't build defenses near NullBot's base. I think that should work.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Already existing ability to change game speed (available also in campaign) is enough, I would only think about adding more speed levels, mostly to let it be even faster.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Flalt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flalt »

It MIGHT be enough if it worked, but as noted above, no such luck for me.

I also wonder why it is that ALL the other modern RTS's have this function but not this one...
crass
Trained
Trained

Post by crass »

Flalt wrote:It MIGHT be enough if it worked, but as noted above, no such luck for me.

I also wonder why it is that ALL the other modern RTS's have this function but not this one...
you don't want a RTS you want a turn based game
this game is over 8 years old, why do you think it is modern?
Flalt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flalt »

crass wrote:
Flalt wrote:It MIGHT be enough if it worked, but as noted above, no such luck for me.

you don't want a RTS you want a turn based game
this game is over 8 years old, why do you think it is modern?
Because it's still being developed...

I don't actually want a turn-based game, although the misunderstanding is understandable...
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Flalt, then we simply need to find why it doesn't work for you.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.