User manual: Tech tree

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Re: User manual: Tech tree

Post by Iluvalar »

you should add the bodies to that tech tree i think
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
karamel
Trained
Trained

Post by karamel »

That's what I've done in the first place but after making links everywhere it appeared that bodies were not so much linked to engines (excepted at the end of the tree) but to composite alloys, and there is a bunch of them.

And all of this didn't fit in one page :stressed: or would look overcrowded. This way I think it makes the propulsion branch ultra light (read once for tracks, VTOL and hover and that's it) and throw away all the engine enhancements that would "pollute" the body branch.
karamel
Trained
Trained

Post by karamel »

And there is the awful body tech tree (and it's source). Looks like I had a good hint of what 'consistent with itself' could mean… O_o
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Emm, Tiger icon is broken ...
Probably you could also collapse some upgrades to save space? Eg., 6 thermal armor upgrades into just one or two icons?
karamel
Trained
Trained

Post by karamel »

The Tiger body icon is fixed, at least someone pays attention to all of this (hum hum) :lecture:

Maybe I could spread it on 2 pages to make it look more linear. Merging techs could be fine too but it will make it like the branch is shorter than it is…

For now it does it's job, even if a bit badly, I think I'd better make the other branches than making optimizations on existing ones (but feel free to make them anyway :wink: )
Dororo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dororo »

Hi kara, nice easy to understand work, specially because you seperated and so someone with less visual imagination can also find what is needed to research for... I am not good in english at all, but I think damage is written with one "m" just as a help to improve your work. (saw this in the flamer tree..)
driver4
Trained
Trained

Post by driver4 »

Nice updates, Karamel. More people need to see this :)
karamel
Trained
Trained

Post by karamel »

Dororo wrote:damage is written with one "m"
You're right, it's corrected in machinegun, flamer and rocket. Thanks for debugging :P
karamel
Trained
Trained

Post by karamel »

« Et hop », here is the cannon tech tree (and source)

Finaly this one is ridiculous in complexity once the body branch was done…

[off topic]
As I make thise charts I discover strange things, like weird requirements and invisible progression. Like going to a 325% damage cheap light cannon with a single dedicated lab and switching to assault cannon quickly whereas other pathes have a more progressive turrets and needs multiple branches (at least synaptic link), and this is an all-rounder O_o
Maybe I'll work on linearizing branches later.
karamel
Trained
Trained

Post by karamel »

Thanks to commander Cody who awaken me you can have 3 more branches: mortar, howitzer and VTOL (see the first post). Also a few updates, the dammage mistake wasn't corrected in the source for machineguns, plasma cannon was missing as well as sunburst, bombs where moved from the flamer tree to VTOL and there were some French mistakes in the body tree.

Those 3 were ready since summer but I stopped with the laziness of publishing them. Cody should continue the work for the missing ones.
Fabio_IT
Trained
Trained

Post by Fabio_IT »

wow! really nice job Karamel.
Thank you!
Easy and fast reading, it can help really much.
Asraelite
New user

Post by Asraelite »

Found this tech tree if anyone wants it... http://dc625.4shared.com/download/0pOXL ... 8-bd0c47e6.

It's text-based and a bit outdated but complete. It's from the old website and is now deleted as far as I know but I saved it on my hard drive and I couldn't find any more like it online. Not a pdf, just html.