Higher quality textures for the old models ?

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
zany
Trained
Trained

Re: Higher quality textures for the old models ?

Post by zany »

can we use textures that google found? I see some nice ones in other forums
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

zany wrote:can we use textures that google found? I see some nice ones in other forums
in ~90% cases - NO.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

You always need to check the license. http://gpl.imageafter.com/ is a good site when you want open source compatible stuff. Unfortunately many of the images are not that good...

Edit:
Also, if you have any specific request, I could upload some of the textures I've shot myself, I have a pretty nice collection already.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

Jorzi wrote:You always need to check the license. http://gpl.imageafter.com/ is a good site when you want open source compatible stuff. Unfortunately many of the images are not that good...

Edit:
Also, if you have any specific request, I could upload some of the textures I've shot myself, I have a pretty nice collection already.
how are they going to know if it didn't have a license?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Easy: if it doesn't have a license, you cannot use it. Everything is automatically copyrighted unless otherwise is specified.
ImageImage
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

Maybe I should try to render some textures by myself. That will be hard. o.O

*urgh* that´s terrible. -.-

Mmh, no big difference in this one O.-
Last edited by themac on 25 Sep 2013, 10:29, edited 3 times in total.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

That's actually a pretty good attempt. Have you tried it ingame yet? :)
ImageImage
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

Ehm, no, I am not too familar with that. I will also have to improve that design I think. :-)
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

I don't think it's terrible. Far from it. Most would call that very good. I certainly would. :)
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

To try it out, make a new folder in the mods folder called autoload. In autoload, make a folder called mymod or something like that.
this folder is supposed to have the same file structure as the one in base.wz (you can open/extract it with winrar/7zip).
In other words, what you need in your mod is a folder called texpages, where you put your texture. Remember also to keep the texture square and power-of-two resolution (i.e. 1024x1024 or 512x512)
ImageImage
[dark]_Continue
Greenhorn

Post by [dark]_Continue »

Jorzi wrote:To try it out, make a new folder in the mods folder called autoload. In autoload, make a folder called mymod or something like that.
Why adding Hi-Res Textures in MOD folder??? can't they make Hi-Res Textures for all? in new master release 3.1 WZ? pointless
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Because waiting for the next release just to see your new textures ingame is not an option.
ImageImage
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

[dark]_Continue wrote:Why adding Hi-Res Textures in MOD folder??? can't they make Hi-Res Textures for all? in new master release 3.1 WZ? pointless
Jorzi wrote:Because waiting for the next release just to see your new textures ingame is not an option.
It is good that add your help to wz but one you don't want to wait for ages as jorzi says and two your changes may not even be put to use.
You can try all your changes locally and you may find you don't like them just replace the local textures with your changed ones and test....you might change a texture 100 times before your happy with it.
When your happy with a texture make a mod let others use it get feedback from the community...

Regards Berg
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

Hello,

first of all I have to excuse that I haven´t written again earlier. I am online again now. :-)

I am not that bad at graphics design, but I feel a bit too confused when I have to make tests and changes to the game by myself. It may also be a matter of having time.

Painting alone is very time-comsumpting, so I become in trouble when I will have to do tests or mods too (I never made any mods so I would have to learn how to do, which would cost time too).

I would be happy if someone likes to take my design to give it a try. It´s free. ^^
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

Hi everyone,

I just started working on some textures. However what I realised is that some of the tiles seem to have wrong texture coordinates. This also applies to some of the high-res textures and makes them cut at the borders (see screenshot). Actually I think the same problem is even found for the old low-res textures.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm the only one having this problem. I haven't found a ticket in the bug tracker concerning this. Any information on what the problem could be?
Attachments
decal-1.jpg
decal-1.jpg (34.42 KiB) Viewed 14940 times