Merowingg's Maps

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Re: Merowingg's Maps

Post by Merowingg »

I still would like to know what is it about.

Because if it is about taking the general pattern then not only I have created entirely new things hundreds of times but also have I used, mixed, involved any existing pattern in my work with that difference that those were made on my maps and my maps only. It was always, the pattern, very similar, similar or indicating some features of other pattern.

At the same time all those things could be mixed in any way.

The best thing is that except the obvious NTW and Squared canon, I was and partly I am still afraid to look at others workas I do not want to be strongly affected by an element, althoug I took inspiration not necessary indicating something particular, from many here.

Bye Gentlemen.
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Hello Gentlemen :)

"GOTM" – Good Old Times Maps

This is one of the maps I made at the very beginning of my mapmaking journey but which I have renewed now. By renewed I mean the following things. The amount of oil is reduced to 5 in base and another 7 per player on the map. Very rich texturing is added. Advanced bases and gateways are added. Rich amount of features is added. On four players maps The Scavengers are added. Some terrain changes were made where necessary due to correctness of what is considered to be standard. Almost each map has its four and eight players version. All maps having "GOTM" abbreviation in its description has characteristics mentioned above. When X is at the end of a map name it means it is for four players. When XX is at the end it means it is for eight players.

The Capri map gives you opportunity to try few interesting tactics :)

Have fun :)
wz2100-20120504_180438-Mero_CapriXX-T1.png
Attachments
8c-Mero_CapriXX.wz
Eight Players :)
(76.07 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
4c-Mero_CapriX.wz
Four Players :)
(73.93 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
Last edited by Merowingg on 04 May 2012, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
sg1efc
Trained
Trained

Post by sg1efc »

Thanks Mero for these great maps. :)
My Thanks to everyone past, present and future who have helped to create & continues to improve WZ2100, you're all Awesome! :)
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Love all of your maps, Mero. :D
noname1208
Trained
Trained

Post by noname1208 »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:Love all of your maps, Mero. :D
I second that :)
"The one who looks on from the shadows and silently observes learns the most and is not shunned by either side"
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Merowingg wrote:Zydonk.. but I did not use your squared in my life.. I have never even opened it with FlaMe, but maybe once, to see how big it is as I wanted mine to be bigger and I did.
You should be flattered that anyone thinks your maps are worth reworking - I am.
And I do not know what it is about too.. I am very happy to be told anything more except thanx, or cool map, which is also always nice to hear.

Sometimes I have again a feeling that someone is impersonating me..

At least half od my work should be reworked if it was to be a Warzone canon friendly, but as I was many times pesistent, and probably I will be, I very often do a map, and maintain it, as I desired it to be, no how it should be in accordance to the cannon. Even if it at its very beginning as a form is to be doomed because it looks this way and not the other.

I still would like to know what is it about.

Because if it is about taking the general pattern then not only I have created entirely new things hundreds of times but also have I used, mixed, involved any existing pattern in my work with that difference that those were made on my maps and my maps only. It was always, the pattern, very similar, similar or indicating some features of other pattern.

At the same time all those things could be mixed in any way.

The best thing is that except the obvious NTW and Squared canon, I was and partly I am still afraid to look at others workas I do not want to be strongly affected by an element, althoug I took inspiration not necessary indicating something particular, from many here.

Bye Gentlemen.
You're agonising. The truth is, mero, that anyone can do what they like with your maps, and they can do that because you have granted them permission to do so. Change your permissions if you don't like this situation.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

You're agonising.
Ok so all the "accusations" were a general statement, I did wanted to know as I dont like being accused of something that did not happen. Yet I wasn't sure if you are really thinking I took a map of yours. There is a squared of yours changed in textures in few ways, but this is not my work.
The truth is, mero, that anyone can do what they like with your maps, and they can do that because you have granted them permission to do so. Change your permissions if you don't like this situation.
Is it possible or is it a sarcasm.. If I knew how to do so I would but I was told it is impossible.

I don't want anyone change my work, but it seems, or it is showed in that way to me, that I can do nothing. I simply wouldn't like anyone do anything with my maps. What is more isn't it stated that that person have to say on whose work it was based? ond for a some time I thoght that person have to ask for permission. Anyone what our friend did starting this conversation was really kind and I do appreciate it.

Thank you for all zydonk :)

Regards :)

P.S.

sg1efc, Goth Zagog-Thou, noname1208 my pleasure Gentlemen :thank_you:
Thank you :)

Remeber that I am all the time willing to hear what you feel about a map, the maps, the more I know the better I may be, if I will not stubbornly stick to something that I like ;)

Bye :)

Regards - Mero
sg1efc
Trained
Trained

Post by sg1efc »

Merowingg wrote: P.S.

sg1efc, Goth Zagog-Thou, noname1208 my pleasure Gentlemen :thank_you:
Thank you :)

Remeber that I am all the time willing to hear what you feel about a map, the maps, the more I know the better I may be, if I will not stubbornly stick to something that I like ;)

Bye :)
My favorite maps are any of the larger maps. Playing against many others is more challenging to me. :)

Thanks again Mero and Thanks to everyone else who also help to improve Warzone! :bow2: :bow2: :bow2:
My Thanks to everyone past, present and future who have helped to create & continues to improve WZ2100, you're all Awesome! :)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Most everything is a remix. :hmm:

Before Flail13 created FlaME there was Pumpkin's EditWorld. Well over a thousand maps were created with EW before source liberation the end of '04. Would you have had to have seen all those maps made with EW to be influenced & for work done with FlaME to be derivative - not really. Simply reinventing what was already done. Happens all the time. Singular, one of a kind originality that sets everything that preceded it on its head, is very, very, rare indeed in the history of humanity, let alone the little corner of the world that is WZ. :3

Listen mindfully to what one of the greatest creators of all time had to say on this score:
“If I have seen a little farther it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton.
The fact is that your signed work stands as your work even if someone makes a work derived from it - which they can do according to the open source licence under which WZ Creators choose to release their original creation to the world for others to build derivative works on the shoulders of what they created '97-'99.

To not freely acknowledge any of this strikes me as little more than pretentious poppycock, to be sassy blunt. :shock:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Hello Rman Virgil :)

Do I feel anger in your post? :hmm:
Well over a thousand maps were created with EW
Is there a possibility to see them? Do you have them, as I am really curious.. and indeed that is a number..

I am not saying also I have made something epic or one of a kind, but I do think some of my ideas are somehow lets say not ordinary? am I wrong badly here too.. :hmm:
“If I have seen a little farther it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton.
I like the quotation :) I like the picture where he stick out his tongue :) do you know why he did it? :)

I also do not say do not follow me.. I am just somehow unwilling to allow people play with my work.. but as I said to be here, it is already decided I suppose ;)

But are they at leas to mention whose work was something based on? and where then if they state so?

My unwillingness to allow to work with my maps, might be a result of the fact that I take the hobby I do here really seriously as I assume is visible here in this thread.. and I always had to and still have to work hard to gain anything.. so I am always strongly and heavily protecting what I have gained..

I hope many are not angry at me here.. I do love what I do here and hope it is appreciated or at least visible..

Damn I had to use dictionary few times to understand your post ;) :lecture:

Regards - Mero
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Merowingg wrote: But are they at leas to mention whose work was something based on? and where then if they state so?
Yes, apparently you chose CC-By-Sa .

By : Mean that the are forced to mention you as a contributor.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Hey Mero. :)

What Iluvalar says is the best you can hope for under these circumstances with the way you feel. :3

Believe me, I understand how you feel too. But that feeling can only be satisfied under conditions where the work you do can be rightfully copyrighted (or patented or tradmarked) and all the rights belong to you, the copy holder, and any violation of your copyrighted work can be redressed in a court of law.

As to the near couple thousand maps made with EW.... they are all in .wdg format which is only compatible with Retail WZ and to make them compatible with the current binaries is a PITA bit of work.

While English is my native tongue I still consider myself a student of its vastness, learning something new all the time about it (as is the case with the other languages I know) and that continuous opportunity for learning, even after a lifetime, is still a source of awe and satisfaction for me.

Looking something up in English (or any of the other languages) in this day and age is such a piece of cake that the gratification that comes of enlightenment is only one of immediacy and not of having survived a protracted drudgery - for me anyway. I hope when my time comes to give up the ghost it will be at least while learning something if not in the very act of creation itself.

As for Sir Isaac Newton sticking his tongue out - I can only imagine it would be at Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz from all that I know of Newton's life. And the reason would be over the invention of calculus. Newton accused Gottfried of plagarism but it has been proven without a doubt that they both invented calculus independent of each other.

As you can see I picked Sir Isaac to quote for more than one reason. ;) Making language do double duty, at the bare minimum, is just the way of a poet at heart. And this type writing does make more demands of a reader than looking at the ingredients on the label of a jar of marinara pasta sauce.

~ Regards, Rman. :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

I have a bit over 300 maps in my collection. If RV is right about the number of maps created (probably on the low side) then I have 700+ maps to collect.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

While on the subject of old retail WZ maps.. Here's one I just dug up while organizing my old warzone data.

Rman, remember Fire Fight Ops? :lecture:
Direct from the NEWST Hideout on this day of rest, January 28, 2001.

Rman Jack here with some brief notes on my "baby" ... FireFight Ops

First I want to thank Members WZW-4Nik8r & Troman who both, in different ways, lent of their time, insight & talent. FireFight benefited from their involvment as did I in what was a rewarding process of discovery by crafting in the WZ Universe. Plus .... all the Members of NEWST that have contributed their ideas & shared their creations over the last year; in a very real sense they helped nurture my ideas & encourage my passion to continue creating in the WZ Game World. Also a thanks to our tireless WebMaster, Lord Apocalypse, who is a creator in his own right and was directly responsible for bringing you the recent Patch v. 1.11 and other goodies soon to be released.

FireFight Ops was developed to be played not only with Pumpkin's last Patch v. 1.10 but also, very specifically, with the the recently released Patch v.1.11 and, some months from now, Patch v.1.12, currently under development.

FireFight Ops was designed to be played in both Multiplayer and Single Player Skirmish.

In Single Player Skirmish, FF Ops was specifically designed to be run with Troman's Turtle A.I., Prometheuses Water A.I. and Pumpkin's A.I. v. 1.04.

It is NOT recomended that you run Pumpkin's v.1.10 A.I. or any other 3rd Party A.I. but those referd to above. The reason quite simply is that only the recomended A.I.'s are sophisticated enough to take advantage of FF Ops design. Probably the weakest and most inadequate A.I. to use on FF Ops would be Pumpkin's v.1.10 A.I. - so donot even bother with that one.

NOW one of my Recommended Set-Ups:

1.) Get Troman's latest version of WZ Starter Utility and use it.... it's awesome.

This is what will replace ModSwitcher and it is a much more powerful, more functional &, frankly, more indispensible Utility. It's even been designed to be fully compatible with MPlayer for you Net MPers. Troman has developed this enhanced utility with Sputnick's blessing & source disclosure. Sputnick was the creator of ModSwitcher
& was unable to continue it's development.

2.) WZ Starter comes with Troman's latest Turtle A.I. which is in itself a most increadible & powerful A.I. that makes use of Cyborgs in ways that will give even the most veteran players nightmares. WZ Starter also comes pre-loaded with Pumpkin's infamous Ski v.1.04 A.I. and Prometheuses last ver. of his Water A.I. - which will soon be up-dated, matter of weeks at this point.

I use 3 different A.I.'s against me as follows:

- I am Player 2... Of course you can choose to be any Player

- Player 0 is Pumpkin's v.1.04 A.I.

- Player 1 is Troman's latest Turtle A.I.

- Player 3 is Prometheuses Water A.I.

I recommend also:

- Start at Tech 1 with Advanced Bases. You can play FireFight Ops at any Tech level 1 through 3 but Trust Me on playing with Advanced Bases. Though you can play at the other settings without harm FF Ops was indeed designed a certain way that exploits the Hard Code constraints of the Game Engine & that is part of the reason for this recommendation. Try it with & then without & you'll see for yourself.

- High Power.... (Trust me here, as well.)

- Alliances On: 3 a.i. vs. you. You first enable this in Troman's Warzone Starter where you will choose what Mods & Maps to play as well as which A.I. Personalities you will assign to the SKI Players.

- OPTIONAL: A.I. Difficulty, Slider Bars, all the way to the Right. I do recommend you start and the easiest setting .... all the way left without actually turning-off the A.I.

Another option is .... I like to set the Camera Angle at 30-45 degrees, relative to sea-level, in game-play. I also play with Mist-of War. For as I traverse the landscape.... most especially through all the Water-Ways (Canals/Rivers/Sea).... the shadow-detail & reflections & play of light.... along the Cliff Faces and Water Surface .... is mesmerizing and magical to me.... That illusion is directly attributable to the angles & widths of the terra-forming in tandem with the actual complexity of the Cliff-Face Texture Tiles.

You can also play FF Ops on a LAN or the Net in MP any way you choose but I would STRONGLY suggest , at least, a 15-Minute Build Time.

ALSO.... Some Teaser / Hints:

- There is a basic Pre-generation of Fortifications but it's atypical.... I'm not saying HOW, cause you'll see soon enough. Plus this is one reason I ask that you play with Adavanced Bases, at least the first time.

- Each player starts with 2 Combat Groups.

- Each Player has a Main Base with a Commander Led Ground Combat Group.

- In addition, Each Player has an Auxilary Base with a small Platoon of Borgs and Squadron of VTOLs.

Imagine yourself the Operations CO. You have just assumed your post & position when shortly afterwards a "FireFight" breaks-out.

In this "Red-Alert" situation you have to maintain your cool under fire while you direct the oderly scrambling of your forces and the securing of your base of operations. Plus all the other considerations - resources, research, design & manufacturing.

But remember - as hot and heavy as it might first appear ... you do have much at your disposal and many, many, ways to approuch tacs & strats of engagement & ultimate victory.

Note on Scavs IN MP:

I had hoped to include 8 Scavenger Out-Posts as Player 7 for live MP and I built them in Beta 3... BUT..... contrary to all the published instructions by Pumpkin and all the experience that WZW-4NiK8r has shared plus my own countless hours of trying - IT CAN'T BE Done...

As soon as you lay your basic Scav Derrick, Power-Plant & Factory, etc., as Player 7 enabled the .Ind will-NOT compile into a .Wdg.

BUT WAIT !!!!

Coming In Late February: FireFight - Enhanced Edition

Basically new looks, new feel & new challenges.

Prometheus is gonna collaborate on this one by Scripting an A.I. that will enable the 8-Scav Outposts I had to forego in this first edition.... among other willy, provocative twists, additions, refinements & suprises.

Thanks for listening and I hope many of you get a chance to get into FireFight Ops... I can't imagine anyone not having quite a bit of fun with it.

Addendunm: Some Design Goals underlieing FF Ops.... for those of curious about such things.

- Discouraging conventional Ant Swarm, sacraficial lamb, Rush was a principle goal of my efforts.

- Promoting Guerrilla Tactics, Hit & Run, Parry & Feint, Tactical Gambits, Multi-Pronged Assaults were some of my goals - through sheer Map Design.

- Encouraging True overall Military Maneuver Strategy - that's the heart of it; for example, needing to deploy and command at least 2 Mixed Battle Groups, at the SAME Time, in order to have any chance at effectively advancing over the battlefield.

Symetry vs. Asymetry:

For the sake of Fair-Play or fairness to all Players (Human & A.I., alike) most Map Design overwhelmingly favors Symetry. For every 100 Symetrical Maps there MAY be one built on balanced Asymetry. The reasons are obvious, so I won't get into anymore detail as to WHY.

Inherently there is nothing wrong with Symetrical Maps - some very fine, even great, ones are created all the time.
But just like the "Human mind abhors a vacume".... that FUN side of the human disposition craves, the suprising, the unusual, the novel....and dare I say it - the "IMPERFECT".

Symetry, no matter it's level of sophistication, equals "perfection", predictable, staid, perfection.....and in making a map this often leads to the boredom & very little re-play value....for after a time, regularity breeds familiarity which inturn yields to a waneing interest. In FF Ops you'll be hard pressed to exhaust the possiblities or ever thoroughly familiarize yourself with it's wealth varied topography, possibilties & opportunities for diverse styles of gameplay. At least, those are what I had in mind as I crafted it.

Call this an aesthetic sensibility that seeks to invest the overall Symetrical Balance with Asymetry on a Local-level that doesn't compromise that balance or Fair-Play for all.

Ergo, in sum, one of my principal design objectives has been to extend the notion, in practice, of what I call Balanced Asymetry in the WZ 2100 Game Universe. Simply because... I find it more INTERESTING to inhabit a more "Irregular" and UN-predictable game world...... one that is fresh & suprising at every turn, you could say.

Well enough of this talk. Play the game. It's guaranteed to be FUN, in big way.

Cheers, Rman. :)
hmm.. might be time to crank up the retail release and find my copy of all those goodies XD :ninja: :music: :laughingneq: :big_boss:
Dororo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dororo »

"The easier the principle the more often one get ambushed because of beiing suspected of stealing possessions of others."
(However may someone else have said this before :D but it appears right a minute ago in my brain... - by Dororo)

So you see, never mind. Some of your maps uses circles or squares etc. I played them often and as a designer I know very well
about the problem you have (which actually is not a problem), as long as you have a good conscience and as long as everyone
cannot see a 100% match to another work there is no stealing, no copying etc.

Keep on your good work and if you like to create something "rare" then use patterns of other disciplines. In my actual map
for instance I used the face of a kitten to create a mountain, absolutely rare I think and so on, there are many things, its
clearly unlimited and for sure, you will copy something, but not because you want to! that is the important thing - not because
you want to! :)

Ähm, and did I mention that I like your maps?.. hm.. ah yeah I think so, keep on :)