Trees

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
spacemanblue
New user

Trees

Post by spacemanblue »

The trees could grow and block the paths, would be a right nuisance. and some wild life that turns nasty when you get in it way.
vicious sheep!
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Trees

Post by NoQ »

FarmVille 2100?
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

NoQ wrote:FarmVille 2100?
:lol2:
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

If the JS API allows scripts to add features to the map then spawning trees could be implemented via rules.js. Not sure how useful it would be in game though, it's a wargame after all.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Well..I will do it the other way I usually do it, which is first I joke then I say more less ;) seriously what I do think about something in a situation like this :)

It really sounds interesting but.. it (the threes) those.. should grow slowly, as it would look strange to see them grow instantly (lets say 20 minutes) then what would be reasonable time for them to grow? To make them crash under tanks, leaving visible paths of the tanks route, that would be nice. By cras I mean fall down, broke, change a little bit or more chorizontal position. But to make them grow in a game like our I am not sure it is a very good idea, a noticable or shall I say reasonable.. I think many other details could be worked on. But again I do not say it is bad idea :)

Well.. we can always collect crops too :) the trucks like in Command and Conquer could not only built but collect crops :P which would be selled for oils on the market! :) The players could do allioances or even enslace The Scavengers to work their fields :) with their machines :) I can already imagine my concrete wall defending not only my base but my crops :) and my tanks moving through the fields to attack an enemy ;)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

Doodads and NPCs.. awesome
If you're reading this; you're awesome.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Growing trees are not a problem. As soon as somebody does several tree models of different size, we can use JS to switch them.
Mr T
Trained
Trained

Post by Mr T »

Isn't the landscape a bit to gray for trees ? Why can't there be green grass to ? After a crater the grass and trees and shrubs slowly grows back. This would be a cool way to se where the big fight have been. :-)

(Why I'm asking for grass - green maps - is that I'm trying to get friends to play wz2100, friends that are really in to playing Red Alert 2 & 3, but think that wz2100 is to "dark". I dont mean that wz2100 shude be a copy of RA, only that the graphic with some green coler can make it a bit nicer to play - for some of os :-) I know wz2100 is on a distant planet, but maybe there are green grass - and snow - there to ? )
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

Mr T wrote:I know wz2100 is on a distant planet
It is the same planet you are living, but 88 years later and nuked.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

"dark"
Agreed, especially urban should be made a bit lighter.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Agreed, especially urban should be made a bit lighter.
I agree! the urban map is the one very hard to play during a summer day :lecture:
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Mr T
Trained
Trained

Post by Mr T »

Giani - Earth after nuclear war. Hmmm... maybe it is dark then, I never been ther ;-)

But :

I think if the surrounding (sky) could be a star map, or blue sky, maybe with clouds on, I think the game maybe be more "non gray", but of course, the story about the nuked earth can be hard to keep believable, or not if you belive the scientist :

After a nuclear war, particles will make the sky dark, but they will fall down after a while, and the sky will once again go back to something "normal". The water from the oceans will ones again ascend and fill the sky with clouds. This will start the rain over land, and with rain the nature will once again rule the world.

In a documentary I saw, built on the movie "I'm a legend" (where Will Smith lives alone in New York City after a plague) they said that after 10 years the nature hade probably taken over the city. Trees and grass would once again cover the asphalt and concrete, and birds using the house as perfect places to build nest, like they do on mountain walls.
Life after 88 years after a nuclear war shude be much greener I think. At least on many sites, maybe some citys still "burning", or have something "dark" over them. This can be one scenario that could explain greener maps.

So a map in New York City, looking more like the impenetrable rain forest with green gigantic overgrown buildings, is not an unlikely scenario after a nuclear war.

Just an idee.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I think part of warzone's appeal is that it does portray a bleak future, however the sheer darkness of some maps can be quite straining on the eye - I usually play with my monitor set to much brighter than normal just so I can see what's going on.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Mr T
Trained
Trained

Post by Mr T »

I checked all the 2p game maps, and started to look up into the sky, something I not usually don't do in the game (the enemy don't allow ppl to take a moment and look up at the sky and all nice textures and work made in the game).
I saw blue sky, and orang sky. Really nice. And I realized now when I was in the game to look at colors, more then gaming, that there are trees, not growing, but standing trees. Snow and gras. Really nice.

I seen it all, but for the first time in a new "light" so to speak.

So first, I have to say I'm sorry, sorry for starting this discussion without having knowing all, not remember that I seen all the great work on maps, textures and all that that you ppl done in the game. Sorry for that.

But the question remains, why is it so dark. Why do I fell that WZ 2100 is so dark, but games like Civ, Red Alert, that also have dark where it is "not explored" on the maps, not look that "dark" I aske ?
If the black between the ground and the sky could be a bit thinner, or an other color then black, can that make it better ?
It is the colors in the games textures that make most of the "dark", but as "aubergine" say, darkness is part of the game. I personally think that the colors on the textures can be a bit brighter, and maby it is my environmentally friendly mind that hope that nature will take over after a nuclere war and make the city greener. But if we talk environmentally friendly maybe then the oil wells in the game only could be on maps with sand, like in Iraq, or winter/forest maps like Siberia. The rest of the maps can only have solar panels, wave-, wind- and nucler energy (i know there are mods for this, but maby this could be bound to specific maps), but how do you build with only energy ? Oil can be turned into plastic, plastic that we can build with. But this is a totally other discussion I think ;-)
(maybe therefor it is so dark, if the sun come and shine on all the plastic, it will melt ;-D )
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

Mr T wrote:But the question remains, why is it so dark. Why do I fell that WZ 2100 is so dark, but games like Civ, Red Alert, that also have dark where it is "not explored" on the maps, not look that "dark" I aske ?
Arizona is the only type of terrain that doesn't look "dark", because urban is dark and the terrain of the rocky mountains has many rocks and make it look dark.