New Tileset Ideas

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

New Tileset Ideas

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Personally, I feel that the Arizona, Urban, and Rockies tilesets, while handy, are getting tiresome to look at over and over for the past 10+ years. Perhaps introducing a new tileset or 2 would be a refreshing change from the same old desert/urban/ruins/taiga/tundra landscapes.

Tropics: A tileset made for developing swamplands, jungles, or tropical islands to name a few.

Plains: A tileset with quite a bit of greenery, much like the Rockies tileset, though much warmer, closer to the Arizona tileset (though without the deserts). Could be used for creating grasslands, prairies, scrublands, forests, etc.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: New Tileset Ideas

Post by aubergine »

A coastline tileset - would be great to have some maps showing an ocean (darker blue water) with waves crashing against rocks and lapping at beaches.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:Tropics: A tileset made for developing swamplands, jungles, or tropical islands to name a few.
This is a good idea although you will have to have sets of suiting features to go with the new tilesets
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

Berg wrote:
Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:Tropics: A tileset made for developing swamplands, jungles, or tropical islands to name a few.
This is a good idea although you will have to have sets of suiting features to go with the new tilesets
You mean like doodads?
If you're reading this; you're awesome.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Yep, new tilesets would be nice, especially if someone would like to create more campaigns later. ;-)

Nameless, yeah, I guess that is mostly what I've wanted to discuss here.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2383&start=45#p40445 :)

I think that an interesting start, would be to combine each of the tilesets.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I once made volcanic tileset, but unfortunately i lost the mod (couldn't have attached to the forum due to size), so only a couple of screenshot remains :( :oops:

For engineered geometric maps, it's a good idea to make the whole map of decal tiles (technically similar to craters or roads, that is, ignoring the capabilities of the new 3.1+ renderer), something like the "marble tileset" i've been trying to introduce here.

+1 to allow mixing existing tilesets, but i'm not sure how much will it impact RAM usage.
Attachments
wz2100-20110129_180457-Sk-Startup.jpg
pic1.jpg
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

A new tileset of dessert would be good.(I mean all sand)
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

For ideas around desert tileset, I highly recommend taking a look at the Stronghold series of games from Firefly Studios, particularly Stronghold Crusader and Stronghold II. I've made maps in many games (no Warzone maps yet though) and for me the best map editor ever was the one that came with Stronghold II - it was possible to create simply stunningly beautiful maps, even with things like adding sound effects to features (such as birds chirping on a tree, or wind howling on a rock, or sound of the sea on ocean tiles, etc). I know WZ is a long way from being able to do those sorts of things, but if people want inspiration for future direction then Stronghold II map editor should be a good case study.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Well the idea sounds good I agree.. fresh air here would be nice :)

At the same time I have more and more ideas all the time :) so I think in about ten years I will be heading lack of ideas ;)

But I do agree :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Bwah! I just found an old site I did for a map I made in SH2 editor: http://www.stronghold-knights.com/jarrod/index.html -- Take a look under the locations menu for more screenshots.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

That's nice, too bad the old tilesets aren't very useful in the new versions...
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Jorzi wrote:That's nice, too bad the old tilesets aren't very useful in the new versions...
Why not? You just set all tiles to decals and get your precious old renderer if you want :wink:
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

wz500x500_512heights.png
Work in progress. :geek: I'll leave it to you guys to figure out what's so special about it. :lecture:

Guess there's a couple of good reasons why that hasn't been done already. Argh.