Add free music

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Re: Add free music

Post by Terminator »

I heard from dudes that works with music that ogg have a beter quality than mp3. I dont know is it true or not..
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Terminator wrote: I heard from dudes that works with music that ogg have a beter quality than mp3. I dont know is it true or not..
OggVorbis usually (i.e. not always), produces smaller files while retaining the same quality as MP3, or produces higher quality music files without producing larger audio files.

So if you count on quality / size then OggVorbis usually yields a better rating there.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Chojun wrote: Have you looked at licensing fees?  They're outrageous.
yargh... who would possibly want to spend 2500 usd to license a format? (especially when i haven't seen either mp3 or mp3pro win any compression-per-quality or quality-per-bitrate tests in the last 8 years...)
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

A lot of you may disagree but I think what needs to happen is someone/some company needs to retain the exclusive copyrights to the .ogg format, so the situation of a company like Thompson swooping in, spending a lot of money on development, and then hijacking the format doesn't happen.
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Chojun wrote: A lot of you may disagree but I think what needs to happen is someone/some company needs to retain the exclusive copyrights to the .ogg format, so the situation of a company like Thompson swooping in, spending a lot of money on development, and then hijacking the format doesn't happen.
Well not only do I disagree, this also cannot be done since you can only get "exclusive rights" (not "copyright", it hasn't got the slightest thing to do with that) to an encoding/compression technology/formats by means of a patent. And considering that the specifications have been published quite a while ago, a valid patent can't be issued for it anymore.

As for your thompson methaphor, I've got no clue how you think granting one company the exclusive right to use&license a format will prevent that company from hijacking that format. Maybe I just misread/misunderstood that last part.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Dizzi78
Greenhorn

Post by Dizzi78 »

I'm a electronic musician. I'm strong in the field of ambient and atmospheric music. :) So I'd guess I could make somthing decent for this game? the whole reason I play this game is because of the music lol. check www.myspace.com/dizzimusic  not really game type of music songs but I'll get working on some ;)
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Dizzi78 wrote: I'm a electronic musician. I'm strong in the field of ambient and atmospheric music. :) So I'd guess I could make somthing decent for this game? the whole reason I play this game is because of the music lol. check www.myspace.com/dizzimusic  not really game type of music songs but I'll get working on some ;)
Is there supposed to be a music download link at that web page somewhere? If so, I can't find it. Never got used to that MySpace thing...
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
Dizzi78
Greenhorn

Post by Dizzi78 »

The songs are on the right. You need flash. Hm, it's pretty big too. =/