Weapons

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
dmdilks
Rookie
Rookie

Weapons

Post by dmdilks »

I have been playing this game from day one when it first came out. You guys have done a great job in keeping it going. But one thing I still don't like about the game. Is that you still not getting the really good weapons till the last two missions? Is there any way to change that when you get into the last sector? You can start to research them at that time. Angel Missiles, Needle & Rail gun.
GA-GA-X79-UD3 i7-3820 3.60GHz, G-Skill 16gb DDR3 1866, HD 6950 2GB, Glacier 900W, COOLER MASTER HAF 932 , 128gb SSD, 750gb HDD Win7-64bit
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: Weapons

Post by aubergine »

Having those weapons would break the balance of the campaign. If you really want the extra weapons, you can enable cheat mode as explained here: http://guide.wz2100.net/cheats
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

There is no balance in the campaign. I mean, it can be changed, but can't be broken (:

The real reason is that the campaign is pretty much frozen; the developers have decided to keep it as close as possible to the original, so such a major change won't be accepted. There are multiple campaign mods around though, that are capable of changing this sort of thing.
dmdilks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dmdilks »

I have to agree with NoQ that there is no balance in the whole game. You are always under gun through the whole game.

aubergine If I wanted to cheat I could just type in biffer baker. Then use machine guns on top of all my tanks.

Yes it is nice that they are keeping to the story line from the original game. But why are we still researching walls in the 3rd

sector when we could be reseaching better weapons. The developers of today that are fixing the mistakes, making the game

better than when it first came out. They could be changing a few things. I feel that the original developers it was one of the

mistakes the they made where you didn't get those weapons till the last three missons of the game.

It would be nice to have those weapons in the beginning of the 3rd sector. But like you said I can cheat or use a mod.
GA-GA-X79-UD3 i7-3820 3.60GHz, G-Skill 16gb DDR3 1866, HD 6950 2GB, Glacier 900W, COOLER MASTER HAF 932 , 128gb SSD, 750gb HDD Win7-64bit
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Well the whole thing with the camaign story is that you are fighting an enemy with superior weaponry (nexus), from which you reverse-engineer any bits of technology you can get your hands on.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Exactly, this is strategy game, you need to figure out how to win with inferior technology. ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
dmdilks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dmdilks »

Yes I understand all of that. April 10, 1999 was the release date. I have been playing it since than.

I just found out it is a strategy game. Plus I have to figure out how to win with inferior technology.

I'm not trying to sound like smart a%$. All I was asking for was instead of researching stuff that you will never use in this sector.

Just bump up some of those weapons to the beginning of that sector. But like they said just cheat or use a mod.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

dmdilks, well, that's true that some upgrades doesn't make big sense since to even research them you will need to pause since they take very long time to get for not really visible gain. Those could be removed / moved earlier / made cheaper to research probably.
But that applies mostly to upgrades to weapons which you can get in sensible time, like that final rockets artillery, which could be picked up pretty early.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

I think for the campaigns it would be a balancing act in itself just to move around the techs to better fit how it should run. Several of the maps have bad pathing that makes the AI into an idiot.. research/tech placement from time to time doesn't make sense.. but it comes down to a few things. For those who are trying to improve the game, what is more important for their limited time.
If I wanted to cheat I could just type in biffer baker
hmm so the original cheat codes still work?? Nice, may have to use them. Been so long since I've played i don't even remember all the missions or how the story plays out.
Yellow Eagle
New user

Post by Yellow Eagle »

I agree on the Weapons in the end maps, But has anyone ever thought about a Sequel to the game as in the ending you hear Nexus Laughter, so you know the game should have continued on. And you never achieve some of the weapons that Nexus is using, IE some of the Pointed Tank and hardpoint weapons. The one ground weapon that is surrounded by hardpoints and wall's next to his Base. So getting those in the end map is sort of pointless.

And is there a way to fix the aimless AI problems? on some of the maps? I have Noticed that like with the Commanders if their units are in a valley or choke point you can't move them so unit's get hung up behind them. Or they will hang way to far back. Say like the Mortar unit's and a Commander.

Also you can have unit's that get themselves hung in a group and you have to move the group around during a battle so they can get out of that group and do their jobs like the repair unit's. Have noticed this more in the Beta and Heavy units more then any thing else. It didn't seem to be as much a problem in the regular game.

And i hate Cheating in games, it's one thing in testing it's some times necessary for testing and the Like. But for general game play no. I mod some other games, but haven't tried anything with this one. And i remember when it was going to come out for PC and just sort of disappeared. Me and a friend played the Demos to death. And then i found it on Linux. And finally for XP and Windows 7. What is the Game written in and does it have a Editor?
Sorry but had a lot of Questions on the game.
jagman
New user

Post by jagman »

What if weapon upgrades were also dependent on a score tied to the promotion of units , collectively ? When the promoted units are recycled the up grade points are carried over . The weapon upgrades would still be researched but unlocked by collective promotion points .
Stratadrake
Trained
Trained

Post by Stratadrake »

The only cheat code I ever used in Warzone in the campaign was "time toggle". I was not a very aggressive player back in the day, and many time limits are just artificial ways to ramp up the difficulty.

In all fairness, though, that's about the only thing difficult about away missions, since the only other way to fail an away mission is to get your LZ compromised.
Strata @dA, @FAC