Weapon Analysis

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
cruise
Trained
Trained

Weapon Analysis

Post by cruise »

Okay, I've started numerically analysing all the weapon stats so we can compare them mathematically, but I want to just confirm my guessed formulae for damage and firing speed.

From the data, it looks like "fireDelay" is the delay between rounds, and "reloadTime" is the time to reload once all rounds are fired, yes?
So total fire time of a clip would be: ( fireDelay * min( 0, rounds - 1 ) ) + reloadTime ?
For weapons without clips, the delay between firing appears to be just "fireDelay".

As a (very) rough first approximation of damage per clip (ignoring armour types): ( damage + ( incenDamage * incenTime ) ) * rounds
But since I have no idea how damage is calculated and applied in the engine, I'm probably well off on that one...

Thanks in advance for answering my constant questions - I'm sure I'll have plenty more before I'm through :P
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: Weapon Analysis

Post by Watermelon »

cruise wrote: Okay, I've started numerically analysing all the weapon stats so we can compare them mathematically, but I want to just confirm my guessed formulae for damage and firing speed.

From the data, it looks like "fireDelay" is the delay between rounds, and "reloadTime" is the time to reload once all rounds are fired, yes?
So total fire time of a clip would be: ( fireDelay * min( 0, rounds - 1 ) ) + reloadTime ?
For weapons without clips, the delay between firing appears to be just "fireDelay".

As a (very) rough first approximation of damage per clip (ignoring armour types): ( damage + ( incenDamage * incenTime ) ) * rounds
But since I have no idea how damage is calculated and applied in the engine, I'm probably well off on that one...

Thanks in advance for answering my constant questions - I'm sure I'll have plenty more before I'm through :P
yes,that's the correct formula

damage vs armor:
kinetic:damage inflicted = damage - armor
thermal:only the initial flame damage is affected by the thermal armor iirc,while the burn damage over time ignores the armor completely I think.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
cruise
Trained
Trained

Post by cruise »

okay, cool :P

How do Vtols work, wrt. reloading? Is the reload time only a function of the rearming pads? Some of the VTOL weapons have reload times specified, some don't, so it can't be anything taken from that.

I'll probably concentrate on ground-based weapons for the moment, since they're simpler anyway (don't have to worry about flying back and forth between rearming pads).

Are the accuracy values meant to be percentages? They seem to be in the range up to 100, so I assume so.
Deathguise
Trained
Trained

Post by Deathguise »

cruise wrote:Are the accuracy values meant to be percentages? They seem to be in the range up to 100, so I assume so.
Yes, i believe they are.
cruise wrote:How do Vtols work, wrt. reloading? Is the reload time only a function of the rearming pads? Some of the VTOL weapons have reload times specified, some don't, so it can't be anything taken from that.
Im curious about this as well, i think the rearming pad may use the VTOL weapon weight to determine how long it takes to reload, although im totally unsure as to exactly how it works.
"Abandon All Hope" - Chiggy von Richthofen
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Deathguise wrote: Im curious about this as well, i think the rearming pad may use the VTOL weapon weight to determine how long it takes to reload, although im totally unsure as to exactly how it works.
That is simply a hack,vtol doesnt have ammunition property,but a 'number of runs',everytime vtol does a 'run' like this:

[vtol] -----> target ------->
<----------  target <---[vtol]

the number of runs is decremented by 1,when the number of runs reaches 0,the vtol goes back to rearm pad as if it's run out of ammo(actually it still has infinite ammo)

the rearm formula is based on weight indeed

[interval] = [weapon weight]/ [rearm point per second]

every interval the number of runs gets incremented by 1
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Deathguise
Trained
Trained

Post by Deathguise »

Watermelon wrote:[interval] = [weapon weight]/ [rearm point per second]
Im not a heavy VTOL user, but that formula looks like it could pose some problems to anyone trying to balance some of the heavier and lighter vtol weapons or modding in a light weight but long reload weapon.

If i remember corrrectly, a negative value for the number of runs would cause the vtol to behave as if it had infinite ammo, but yeah i see what you mean it is quite a hack.

Ive not worded this post to well but anyway thanks for answering.
"Abandon All Hope" - Chiggy von Richthofen
cruise
Trained
Trained

Post by cruise »

Yeah, I saw the "runs" number and figured out what it was for - I'll worry about VTOL weaponary later though, since calculating their damage rates is much harder.

I have an HTML table of damage/time unit and damage/time/power cost - it makes interesting reading, though it takes no account of armour whatsoever currently, just raw damage output.